Things which annoy you with modelling

• RMweb Premium

Trains with identical wagons with the same running numbers.

Trains that never happened, eg a EWS liveried class 60 on a train of LMS wagons.....

Yep, another pet hate of mine too - although I'll admit I probably have some wagons with the same number, but only ones where it isn't obvious.  Not ones with a big number on the top like the nuclear flask wagons!

But surely these wagons are OK to run with that EWS 60?

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R6367_1017111_Qty1_3.jpg

R6367_1017111_Qty1_3.jpg

1) People who cannot come up with their own ideas so just keep copying and pasting ideas from previous threads or posts like this one!

2) Like Ebay. The minority of Rmplebers who think they are professional weathers yet they must weather in a darkened room, or there guide dog has got lost in the fog!

3) Posts that are incomprehensible due to mysterious text or special characters.

4) The fact the my transition to O Gauge was later than I hoped. So, missing certain R-T-R models, which seem to be produced in limited numbers yet other scales are produced in larger numbers, and liveries each year.

5) Apparently if you are good at building Airfix then you should be ok at kit building.... Well I was not very good at Airifx kits and was only successful once 20+ years ago!

6) Tailchasers at exhibitions where the operators do not understand the concept of scale speed!

It either goes really fast or it sits in the sidings

• Like 2

Guest Model.Maker

I have a few if I may share...

1/  Seeing non-prototypical formations on layouts (exhibition and press - cannot control this in an exhibition but in a magazine article...)

2/  Shiny loco's and weathered stock

3/  Shiny stock and weathered locomotives

4/  Shiny stock, shiny locomotives and weathered layout

5/  Shiny layout with a combination of the above

6/  Model figures in frozen movement poses

7/  Buses on overbridges!

8/  Folk who are good at soldering/metal kit construction assuming that everyone else is/or not a proper modeller

9/  Trains running too fast or too slow at exhibitions (although thats my own opinion)

10/ Text speak in online forums

Think I'll stop now before I combust.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shunting or MPD/TMD layouts set in urban heavy industrial situations with no public road or pavement on the modelled area, which have advertisements on wall facing the yard.  Why would any advertising agency put up posters where the public could not see them?

• RMweb Premium

Shunting or MPD/TMD layouts set in urban heavy industrial situations with no public road or pavement on the modelled area, which have advertisements on wall facing the yard.  Why would any advertising agency put up posters where the public could not see them?

As another said on page 13, badly observed reality.  I've often thought the same, and wondered how would anyone get in to change the posters without a p-way possession?  Or how about new buildings which are way too close to the track.  OK, I'm sure we're all guilty of a few bloopers, but so much can be avoided by asking "how would that work in reality?"

• Like 1

People who ###### me in the face with a rucksack at a show and then look at me like I'm from Mars when I say summat.

Although I did see an exhibition layout with a church hall modelled, bonus points for running a model railway show at said 4mm church hall.  Full marks for providing a park for 4mm scale rucksacks next to the dustbins at said show!

Oh yes and women in the hobby - they aren't some alien creature or a bloke who has raided the dressing up box, they are normal sane people with a common interest.  That also doesn't mean they want to jump into bed with you!

Edited by Boris
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Agreed.  I look at people's models on here sometimes, and see perfect cuts, nice and square perpendicular edges, and look at my own and wonder why, no matter how hard I try, they are never as good or consistent... 

Better keep away from Warley then  :mosking: 

Yes , rucksacks are a nuisance , I know cos I own one .

I always apologise if I make more than a slight contact , its just a case of good manners really .

As for Blokes raiding the women's wardrobe , I've seen a few of them at Warley too !

Each to their own , 

• Like 1

People who ###### me in the face with a rucksack at a show and then look at me like I'm from Mars when I say summat.

Although I did see an exhibition layout with a church hall modelled, bonus points for running a model railway show at said 4mm church hall.  Full marks for providing a park for 4mm scale rucksacks next to the dustbins at said show!

Oh yes and women in the hobby - they aren't some alien creature or a bloke who has raided the dressing up box, they are normal sane people with a common interest.  That also doesn't mean they want to jump into bed with you!

Well, that’s true, I’ve never pulled at the Warley bar....

Think about it logically how much a high maintenance woman costs, things like a weekly hair do, a new handbag and shoes that are only a few behind Imelda!

Then translate it to locomotives and rolling stock!

Mark Saunders

Problem is my kommandant is low maintenance, a Dapol Class 08 would be about 2 years of hair dos for her so I can’t use the balance equation thing.....

Sorry for thread creep, I’ll say no more

• Like 1