Things which annoy you with modelling

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I couldn't help comparing these consecutive posts, even though I doubt there was any intention to make a connection by either poster. "Real modellers" think difficult things are dead easy, "Plebs" need jigs :jester:.

Haha, I hadn't actually seen Peter's post, absolutely no connection with mine. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finishing laying all the track, wiring it (successfully), ballasting it, installing point motors, painting/weathering track and thinking about installing scenery and coming to the conclusion that your skills have now improved such that you could do what you have already done so much better leading to being dissatisfied and a loss of mojo!

Presently trying to decide whether to rip up what I have done, recover components and start again with hand built turnouts.......

In a similar vein, finishing laying all the track etc, in Peco Streamline, and Peco announce code 75 chaired track a week later...

I've learned to live with the Streamline and try not to think about it!

I once saw at an exhibition a sign on a layout that went something like this. "This is my layout built for my own pleasure. If you see anything that is technically or historically incorrect keep it to yourself"

I liked that I really did.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Not so much annoys, more induces despair - YouTube "reviews" of locomotives which consist of either somebody waffling on trying to impress the viewer with his knowledge of the prototype whilst keeping moving the model in and out of focus in terrible lighting, or lots of footage of the model belting flat out round setrack on carpet with the "reviewer" saying how awesome it is and what a good runner.

...and people taking things out of boxes. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

...and people taking things out of boxes. :rolleyes:

I know, I mean WHY would you take them out of the boxes?  They just lose value.  What's the point of buying these models unless they at least keep their value?   :sarcastic:

Micro drill bits in that small flat plastic box where you slide the clear lid to align the hole with the channel of your selected drill bit then tilt to release it.

All the drill bits drop except the one you selected which stays at the top for some reason meaning you have to remove the clear sliding lid which disengages with such a jolt that all the drill bits that were in size order are now on the floor.

Micro drill bits in that small flat plastic box where you slide the clear lid to align the hole with the channel of your selected drill bit then tilt to release it.

All the drill bits drop except the one you selected which stays at the top for some reason meaning you have to remove the clear sliding lid which disengages with such a jolt that all the drill bits that were in size order are now on the floor.

And guess which is the one bit that you can't find?

• RMweb Premium

Backscenes.  So many fabulous layouts are ruined by dreadfully painted backscenes.  

Actually this reminded me of a layout in one of the mags in the last few years.  It was a beautifully detailed layout representing something like a light railway near the Sussex Downs.  It also had a beautiful backscene, but I can't remember if it was painted or photographs, but the colours were perfect.

Unfortunately the backscene appeared to be a perfect rendition of somewhere in the Cumbrian Fells.  It really spoiled for me what was otherwise an excellent piece of work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a very good Southern Region steam era layout on the current circuit which features a very heavily industrialised backscene with high hills and a steelworks, more like Sheffield or Port Talbot.  It just looks somehow wrong to me; the Southern certainly served some heavily industrialised towns in those days, but the geology of the area it served was not conducive to steelmaking (I know the Weald has a long and interesting history of iron smelting and ironworking, but not on this sort of scale), having no coal, not much suitable lime, and no iron ore to establish it.

I also get a little tired of backscenes which purport that the UK is a place where the sun always shines, the skies are clear, and visibility is perfect.

• RMweb Premium

What annoys me with modelling, based on recent experiences:

Get out the boxes with the part-finished model, paints and tools. Set up on the worktop.  Find the brush you need you didn't clean properly last time as you were clearing away in a rush and is now unusable.  Spend 30 minutes looking for bottle of white spirit which wasn't put away where you thought.  Clean brush to a state where it can be used.  Open paint and find it needs much more stirring than you expected as it's been standing for about 5 years.  Write off painting for another session, decide on another job, to sort out a non-running loco.  Get out cheapie controller used for testing.  Spend 5 minutes fixing wires which have got pulled out.  Stick portable radio on but batteries are almost dead.  Get out spare part-used batteries and multimeter.  Find loads of spare batteries are useless for anything, but find enough so that radio now works.  Spend 10 minutes trying to find small Phillips screwdriver to remove body from loco.  Find it in the bathroom, although there is nothing in the bathroom that would ever need a small Phillips screwdriver.  Put kettle on and make a cuppa.

Remove loco body.  Stupidly try to straighten bent buffer, which snaps. Return to loft to find similar locomotive to rob spare buffer from, which takes about 30 minutes as I find at least three other "projects" which I'd forgotten I had.  Find spare bogie/handrails/couplings for all three projects. Answer phone call from relative who I realise I haven't spoken to for a while.  

One hour later: switch on controller and touch wires to wheels, motor turns reluctantly.  Find small piece of emery paper to clean wheels.  Spend 10 minutes cleaning all wheels.  Loco now running OK.  Try to re-fix body.  Spend 5 minutes trying to re-align screw holes.  Find trapped wire causing body to be misaligned. Re-attach body and notice cab glazing is completely mis-aligned.  Spend another five minutes removing body, finding a very small piece of blu-tac to fix the glazing long enough for photography. Re-attach body.  

Get out camera, which immediately switches itself off.  Get batteries out again.  Install new batteries.  Turn camera on and off at least twelve times until it "learns" that the available voltage is now OK. Take photographs.  

Realise it is now 1130pm and you haven't actually washed up or made the kid's sandwiches for tomorrow. Or indeed actually managed to do any real modelling.  Shove modelling materials to one side, do domestic chores and go to bed, dreaming of working on all those undiscovered projects in a private shed, miles from anywhere, with no interruptions....

• Like 1

Trying to fit white metal vacuum pipes. I did this today and fitted the one I wanted to fit perfectly but then I decided to paint one up ready for my class 37. I mustve been painting too hard as it snapped. Oh well at least I've still got the steam heating pipes.

Probably a casting 'blowhole' in a weak spot/narrow area, it happens now and again in whitemetal.

Probably a casting 'blowhole' in a weak spot/narrow area, it happens now and again in whitemetal.

Yes it can happen,  metal casting isn't an exact science but inspection at the packaging stage can weed out most of the faults, at least I hope it does.

Dave Franks

Just looking at the tub of faulty castings waiting to go back into the pot.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if we've had this one before on here but: Road vehicles, or more precisely, people who spend ages getting their layout right, getting train formations accurate, making scenery, then pose cars on the wrong side of the road, or lorries unloading in a space they couldn't possibly have driven into or get out of again, for example.  Or use Japanese buses that look nothing like British ones, other than being right hand drive.  Or who use a modern lorry in a modern (say, 2015) livery on a layout set in 1995.  Or... Or... ... ...

Not sure if we've had this one before on here but: Road vehicles, or more precisely, people who spend ages getting their layout right, getting train formations accurate, making scenery, then pose cars on the wrong side of the road, or lorries unloading in a space they couldn't possibly have driven into or get out of again, for example.  Or use Japanese buses that look nothing like British ones, other than being right hand drive.  Or who use a modern lorry in a modern (say, 2015) livery on a layout set in 1995.  Or... Or... ... ...

Or, to put it another way, badly observed reality and poorly modelled layouts.

• Like 2