RMweb

Things which annoy you with modelling

• RMweb Premium

Well I have a few.

1) 3 link / screw coupled rakes of coaches when they should have buckeyes, why bother? Might as well have tension locks.

2) Mark 2 DBSO conversions where thet leave it as a Mark2D but the real ones are Mark2F, not a lot of work to fix, but people STILL do not do it.

OK lets hear yours.

• RMweb Premium

Beautifully built kit locomotives which probably took some considerable time/money to put together then ruined by a utterly terrible paint job and extremely sloppy application of number transfers. Seen a few at exhibitions were an exquisite model has the cabside numerals all wonky, out of line and all over the place.

Spilling mistaks.

Limited edition or hard to find locomotives and rolling stock that someone has decided to 'improve' by weathering them, usually badly. Also on a simliar theme the sudden explosion in the number of so called 'professional weatherers' on Ebay, the vast majority of which leave much to be desired and often seem to be an excuse to shift certain slow moving RTR items and charge a premium for them (yes TMC I am looking at you...)

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A timely thread - just been struggling to connect the bl**dy stupid engine to tender plug and socket thing on a Hornby Schools. Managed to break two of the flimsiest wires known to man and am now contemplating throwing the whole lot out of the window.

There should be a warning on the box - 'People with sausage fingers should avoid this product like the plague'.

• Like 9

A timely thread - just been struggling to connect the bl**dy stupid engine to tender plug and socket thing on a Hornby Schools. Managed to break two of the flimsiest wires known to man and am now contemplating throwing the whole lot out of the window.

There should be a warning on the box - 'People with sausage fingers should avoid this product like the plague'.

Hornby make a tool for extracting these miniature plugs. Maybe it can be used to help connect them too?

What a strange question. The impression from the OP is that we are being asked "What annoys you about other peoples' modelling?" Why should I be annoyed? Unimpressed or disappointed, perhaps, when I see something that doesn't appear right to me, but certainly not annoyed. On the other hand, Phil's response is more "What annoys me when I am modelling?" Though I find a good set of tweezers solves the Hornby tender plug problem, I'll often get mildly irritated, and occasionally annoyed, at my own ineptitude or silly mistakes even though they might be things that most wouldn't notice.

Nick

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Losing a piece on the floor. Then deciding to make a replacement and fit it. And then find the missing part 5 minutes later.

Although even more annoying is losing the replacement.............................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

I try not to get annoyed, if a jobs not going well I'll put it down until I'm ready to tackle it again afresh (which sometimes takes months!).

There are many other things in life to get annoyed about, modelling, to me at least, is a way of escaping them.

• Like 10

Limited edition or hard to find locomotives and rolling stock that someone has decided to 'improve' by weathering them, usually badly. Also on a simliar theme the sudden explosion in the number of so called 'professional weatherers' on Ebay, the vast majority of which leave much to be desired and often seem to be an excuse to shift certain slow moving RTR items and charge a premium for them (yes TMC I am looking at you...)

I really dont get annoyed at the first part as a model unweathered is a model unfinished in my opinion, the ebay explosion of weatherers(?) is to a degree, more annoying that people pay for them rather than paying me haha. TMC is a prime candidate as they are simple blow overs charged at much more than I do for a full job.

Cav

• Like 1

It doesn’t really annoy me as such but I think it’s a shame when you see a layout with weathered trains / rolling stock and brand new cars, line side fencing that’s perfect, clean ballast and track and road signs that are obviously wrong… ok that said each to their own – I’m sure there is plenty of little things on my layouts that annoy others but I don’t care, my argument is it’s a work in progress and all those little things will be sorted one day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gravity; don't believe the science, in my workspace it works in random directions and comes in waves.

The pixies that hide stuff, even big stuff.

The idiot who forgets to order more wheels, buffers, door bangers and coupling hooks when I run out.

Pete

• Like 14

Rakes of Bachmann Intermodal wagons where the containers haven't been mixed up, so you get a pair of ECS Maroon, then a pair of Seaco Blue, then a pair of Seawheel Green ones. It's like the crane operator was trying to be "Arty".

I am also annoyed by the fact that whatever your interest, you always end up with a scrapbox full of junk, in my case it's mostly unfinished coaches with custom couplings and half finished modifications that 15 years ago I would have snapped up at a bargain price, but now haven't got the time or inclination to get them to a standard where selling them would be worthwhile.

I also think It'd be a good idea to only let people into a show who have built an exhibition-standard layout....

• Like 1

Everything that doesn't fit first time.

Followed closely by everything that doesn't work first time.

But both are immensely compensated by the joy brought by making it work on the 3rd ... 4th ... nth attempt or the mild satisfaction at rendering the item to scrap under a few mighty blows with the block hammer.

As far as other peoples problems - I can only express criticism on the efforts of those in areas I feel confident in myself. In other areas, I cn only offer praise or complete denial that I would ever make such a mess of it. (perfect examples are in all things involving paint)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I have a few.

2) Mark 2 DBSO conversions where thet leave it as a Mark2D but the real ones are Mark2F, not a lot of work to fix, but people STILL do not do it.

OK lets hear yours.

Never mind the fact that they are not 2f's it's when the "kits" are copied from the Airfix original with some of what was wrong - droplights that look as if they've got 6" radius corners and are far too wee to boot. (the kit might as well have been just a resin cab end......) though most annoying is the lack of cab detail and solid gangways moulded in to the vehicle, and the mysteriously straight profile rather than a 2 deg. inward slope.......

Back to the drawing board

End of rant...

• Like 1

Things which annoy you with modelling - Not getting my arse into gear more than I should do with my modelling - I still do it, and it still annoys me.....

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 6

Glue that will only stick that tiny piece to my finger or the tweezers - or the wrong way round. And the accessory wire that refuses to go into the connecting block under the baseboard unless the screw is loose enough to fall out.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not having enough space, time and money to make a 4mm P4 standard model of Chester as it was in 1922 and then another as it was in 1977 (wouldn't need quite as big a space) for when I remember it.

Guess I'll always be "angry".

• Like 2