Semaphore Signals - 4mm Scale (Mainly)

What's taking so long.........?

....just to paint a few signal arms!

Perhaps I could suggest some alternative approaches with might be a bit quicker?

Here are a couple of mine:-

post-11380-0-50686700-1492724211_thumb.jpg

post-11380-0-82228700-1492724362.jpg

The arms were done using self-adhesive vinyls as sold for model aircraft (sounds dreadful but works a treat) - not my idea - Mick Nicholson suggested it and kindly supplied the materials. The spectacles were done by filling the "eyes" with PVA glue then, when it has dried clear, painting them with transparent "Glass" paint. (sold by Tamiya and others) This is the quickest and neatest way I have found.

It works for the dummies as well - though they have to be painted the hard way - spraying and differential masking (red first, then white)

post-11380-0-99756600-1492724122_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps - keep up the excellent work Steve, and thanks for posting it all here.

Best wishes,

Howard

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I could suggest some alternative approaches with might be a bit quicker?

attachicon.gif2 6 Off small.jpg

attachicon.gifJan 16 snooze 6 small.jpg

The arms were done using self-adhesive vinyls as sold for model aircraft (sounds dreadful but works a treat) - not my idea - Mick Nicholson suggested it and kindly supplied the materials. The spectacles were done by filling the "eyes" with PVA glue then, when it has dried clear, painting them with transparent "Glass" paint. (sold by Tamiya and others) This is the quickest and neatest way I have found.

It works for the dummies as well - though they have to be painted the hard way - spraying and differential masking (red first, then white)

attachicon.gifDummies 3 small.jpg

Hope that helps - keep up the excellent work Steve, and thanks for posting it all here.

Best wishes,

Howard

Looks good Howard. Like Steve, I've started using Chiltern transfers,which make distants in particular a lot easier, but before that I painted the base colours on the arms and used strips of coloured transfer cut from a Modelmaster sheet for the stripes. I still do that for discs.

I did get hold of the Chiltern transfers, but found the printing a bit fuzzy looking.  That said, they look fine on Steve's signals.

With the vinyls, a "mass production" method is also needed - a long strip of white on red, another of black on white, then sliced off accurately to width - though one batch did all I need - not the case for Steve I think!!

Best wishes,

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif2 6 Off small.jpg

attachicon.gifJan 16 snooze 6 small.jpg

attachicon.gifDummies 3 small.jpg

Best wishes,

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks very much for your very helpful advice.

I'll certainly be giving your techniques a try.

You signals look quite stunning.

I particularly like the small "yokes" you've used to attach the "cables" to the cranks.

Steve.

Edited by Steve Hewitt

You signals look quite stunning.

I particularly like the small "yokes" you've used to attach the "cables" to the cranks.

Steve.

Many thanks for the kind words Steve, and yes they are small!

The kind of nonsense I get up to is fine when you only have a few to do and would not be appropriate for your situation, but if you are interested in trying any of my etches, just drop me a PM - I think it fair to say they are a lot better than the "commercial stuff"!

post-11380-0-82244600-1492771419_thumb.jpg

Best wishes and keep up the good work!

• Like 8

The kind of nonsense I get up to is fine when you only have a few to do and would not be appropriate for your situation, but if you are interested in trying any of my etches, just drop me a PM - I think it fair to say they are a lot better than the "commercial stuff"!

attachicon.gifStarters close up small.jpg

Wow! is this 4 or 7mm scale? Stunning either way!!

JF

Wow! is this 4 or 7mm scale? Stunning either way!!

JF

Definitely On-Topic! - 4mm

Thanks for the kind words.

Edit - and good luck with the upcoming retirement!

Edited by HAB
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifStarters close up small.jpg

Super signal. The block post simulator needs a bit more 'hardware' <G>

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to the Keswick Bracket.....

I've now fitted all the moving parts - its the bit I enjoy the most, when the signal comes to life.

post-3984-0-18539300-1492806705_thumb.jpg

Remembering that these two arms are slotted between both signal boxes, we have two weight bars, with weights to the rear of the post, and the drop-off weight for the arm itself to the front, repeated for each arm.

Not sure of the prototype, but I've fitted them to opposite sides of the post. (Gets very chunky if both are on one side).

post-3984-0-18114700-1492806700_thumb.jpg

Here we see one arm cleared:

post-3984-0-96889100-1492806782_thumb.jpg

The right hand operating wire is connected directly to the Platform 1 Home arm:

post-3984-0-20100600-1492806769_thumb.jpg

Platform 3 Home arm utilises the Rocking Shaft to transfer the motion across the Trimmers:

post-3984-0-53108800-1492806771_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-76448800-1492806774_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-28240000-1492806777_thumb.jpg

Once it was all working smoothly, I added the wooden planking and tried out the Lamps:

post-3984-0-57577100-1492806707_thumb.jpg

Finally, The servos (and their connected arms) were parked in the "Safe" or mid-throw position using the feature on the GF Controllers I am using. They are now ready for transport.

post-3984-0-60042000-1492806710_thumb.jpg

Along with Signal 1-1,14 which I made previously:

post-3984-0-90509900-1492806713_thumb.jpg

I've taken some video and will edit it together asap.

Steve.

edited for about 30 miles error.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to this.

No photos as such, but what I've learnt so far:

• The Grit Blaster isn't much good for serious "de-soldering". Files and scrapers etc, still in use!
  • It is excellent at removing a "thin Tinning".
  • It is good on stains and old paint etc.
  • It can remove excess glue from a surface.

My compressor will give a max. pressure of 4bar, at which point it shuts off the motor.

It re-starts the motor when the tank pressure drops to 3bar.

The blaster seems to work quite well down to about 2bar, but is best at the higher pressures, which you might expect.

With a larger compressor you could probably keep going continuously, but I tend to keep stopping frequently on the models I make anyway.

I've not had to pause for the compressor just to "catch up".

I have no idea how long the Gun will last before it wears itself out with the Aluminium Oxide eroding its innards.

All the best,

Steve.

p.s. Going to Stafford? I'll be there on Saturday.

Have you considered using these instead of aluminium oxide?, less corrosive for your nozzle!

http://www.walnutshellpowder.com/walnut_shell/product_Walnut_Shell_Blasting.html

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Have you considered using these instead of aluminium oxide?, less corrosive for your nozzle!

http://www.walnutshellpowder.com/walnut_shell/product_Walnut_Shell_Blasting.html

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link.

I've ordered a "Sample" - rather than 25kg!

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Making a start on the Fixed Distant......

I've collected together most of the parts needed to make this simplest of signals:

post-3984-0-36031200-1493550367_thumb.jpg

The ladder is a Masokits etch, strengthened with 0.4mm N/S wire.

The Post sub-assembly consists of 2mm and 2.4mm dia Brass Tubes, with a 0.8 mm thick slice of 3.5mm  square section brass fitted near the top, with short lengths of brass strip added as the ladder top-fixing.

The Finial is a turning from Alan Gibson.

The Lamp, Bracket and Arm Bearing is one of the 3D prints from Les Green.

Half inch dia brass Foundation Tube is for mounting the signal in the baseboard.

The Baseplate is cut from 0.45mm N/S sheet.

The brass turning will ensure the Post fits squarely in the baseplate.

The Distant Arm is from the batch I made previously.

Starting on the signals foundations, I soldered together the turning, baseplate and foundation tube.

No moving parts, so no guide tubes on this signal:

post-3984-0-09463500-1493550370_thumb.jpg

More soon,

Steve.

• Like 8

Here's one i decommissioned earlier..

post-4034-0-17042800-1493560144_thumb.jpg

The arm is covered pending removal. There is a tube in place of the off buffer to make the arm truly fixed. Although this is an Eastern Region signal a similar thing could be done to an LMR one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Steve

I'm not sure if this has been covered previously, but are the 3D prints and bracket etches available to purchase from Les Green. If so how?

Not at present is all I can say.

I'll have a chat with Les shortly, and see what he says.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another small step.......

The Keswick No 1 box Loop Starter is a "standard" Round Post single arm signal with the same basic construction as the Fixed Distant, so I decided to build them both together:

The Loop signal has working parts of course:

post-3984-0-19780100-1494866242_thumb.jpg

Here's the bearing for the Weight Bar.

post-3984-0-65896800-1494866231_thumb.jpg

The guide tube which will help keep the operating wire running true and free.

post-3984-0-22790000-1494866234_thumb.jpg

Protected by the foundation tube which will locate the signal on the layout and ensure alignment of the Servo at a later stage.

Here are the two signals ready for a god scrub and clean before painting:

post-3984-0-07038700-1494866237_thumb.jpg

On this occasion, I've left the Arm Bearing etc. off until after painting.

I think it will be easier to paint the 3D printed item separately and attach it just before assembling the arm etc.

More soon....

Steve.

• Like 5

Here are the two signals ready for a god scrub and clean before painting:

Do you clean them religiously Steve? :jester: 

They do say cleanliness is next to godliness..... :angel: 

JF

(sorry!)

• RMweb Gold

Back from the Paintshop......

Here's the Fixed Distant:

post-3984-0-68873400-1495212162_thumb.jpg

The layout owner was concerned about the "Yellow" colour of the MSE glazing which I have used previously, and I tried something different on this signal:

post-3984-0-24409200-1495212165_thumb.jpg

Here the lenses have been glazed with "Clear Fix", and once dry they were painted with transparent Glass Paint.

Two coats have given a much deeper Amber colour which I think is a closer match to the prototype samples I've been shown.

More soon....

Steve.

• Like 9

Back from the Paintshop......

Here's the Fixed Distant:

attachicon.gifRIMG1319.JPG

The layout owner was concerned about the "Yellow" colour of the MSE glazing which I have used previously, and I tried something different on this signal:

attachicon.gifRIMG1320.JPG

Here the lenses have been glazed with "Clear Fix", and once dry they were painted with transparent Glass Paint.

Two coats have given a much deeper Amber colour which I think is a closer match to the prototype samples I've been shown.

More soon....

Steve.

Looks the biz Steve. I've started supplementing the reds on mine by over coating the coloured lens with a clear red enamel. Looks like the yellows will be next!

JF

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Steve. There appears to be a lot of glass paints on the market, any particular make/type?

Hi Roger,

Sorry for the delay in answering your query.

The paints I've used are:

Red:  Marabu Number 125 "cherry"

Blue: Marabu  Number  092  "petrol"

Yellow:  Pebeo Vitrea 160  "Safron Yellow"  

I picked them up "on spec" from a local craft/art store several years ago but they might still be available.

Steve.