Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

• 2 weeks later...

Not a new image, but until a few days ago the caption stated "an unidentified B1". However the final digit on the cab side looks like a '6' to me and the number of B1s ending in '6' known to have run over the WR is quite limited - 61076/116/46/76/216/46/346/56/96. I would suggest that anything with a '1' after the leading '1' can be discounted, as can anything with a name. That only leaves 61076/346/56/96, of which the first three had their smokebox number-plates positioned below the top smokebox-door strap. Ergo it must be 61396, which did run with a high front numberplate - unless of course it's one which slipped  in and out of Hawick unnoticed.

Any thoughts?

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=26146

PS I should have said that the Railscot caption was changed at my instigation

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 2

Well going by the chimney and smokebox door id go with the caption and 61396. Also this loco features in the railways of scotland vol 2 if memory serves correctly, although ive just spent the last two and a half hours trying to get my oldest baby girl to sleep when she dont want to so may be wrong haha. Will look zombified in the morning now - even more than usual.

Well going by the chimney and smokebox door id go with the caption and 61396. Also this loco features in the railways of scotland vol 2 if memory serves correctly, although ive just spent the last two and a half hours trying to get my oldest baby girl to sleep when she dont want to so may be wrong haha. Will look zombified in the morning now - even more than usual.

Do you mean Steam in Scotland Vol 2 by Anderson and Cross? 61396 doesn't appear in that album and perhaps you're thinking of the B1 shot taken between Galashiels and Bowland (although captioned as between Bowland and Stow) with the loco identified as 61389. It may have been discussed here before that this is almost certainly in error as 61389 was an ER machine all its life.

The DVD is by Cinerail and costs £18.95 post free from DE Videos, 01132 563415 POST FREE

This dvd and the britains lost main lines dvd presented by ron white are good sources of train formations, the two freights on newcastleon that i run are based on trains ive seen on both respective programmes.

Gary

Or you can have it at Galashiels, too.  One of the several of 60031 at Gala in the late Robin Barbour collection

A photo to 'reproduce' when HM opens the Borders Railway?

Bruce

post-5524-0-65092800-1440839380.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not a new image, but until a few days ago the caption stated "an unidentified B1". However the final digit on the cab side looks like a '6' to me and the number of B1s ending in '6' known to have run over the WR is quite limited - 61076/116/46/76/216/46/346/56/96. I would suggest that anything with a '1' after the leading '1' can be discounted, as can anything with a name. That only leaves 61076/346/56/96, of which the first three had their smokebox number-plates positioned below the top smokebox-door strap. Ergo it must be 61396, which did run with a high front numberplate - unless of course it's one which slipped  in and out of Hawick unnoticed.

Any thoughts?

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=26146

PS I should have said that the Railscot caption was changed at my instigation

Ballasting on that layout is quite superb

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Who can resist a blue Class 17 station pilot -

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=33572

Or more likely, this idyllic view of pure magic, so beautifully manicured it's almost unbelievably bucolic:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=24217

....and this Class 26 on a recovery train in 1971

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=48982

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 3

Here are 3 photos I took en route to Edinburgh from Carlisle in September 1963. Has anyone any idea where on the line they were taken (between Longtown and Hawick). Haulage by by a BRCW Type 2 Class 26/0.

Judging by the curve and low retaining walls outside I'd say the last one is at the North exit of Whitrope tunnel, although the bank to the left is lower than I've seen in other pictures.

What say yea locals?

Cheers

Dave

Top one is on the climb from Steele Road to Riccarton.

Middle one I'd hazard a guess at being on the approach to Milepost 65 between Riccarton & Whitrope.

Bottom one is as Dave has already said.

Great shots by the way, thanks for posting them up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many of Norman Turnbull's shots on there. Don't think he'd be happy to see them online.

The link which I posted on 2nd January no longer works.

I had another look at Locoman1966's Flickr Photostream this evening and it appears he has taken down the Waverley Route demolition images.