The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dozy Freightliner Driver

steveb860

The journo seems to have a track record of sensationalising the trivial - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Mark+Duell - sorry, just realised; that's his job.

a.) Why didn't the photographer contact Freightliner rather than licensing his image to a press agency?

b.) I wouldn't call it any conclusive evidence and the images are debatable anyway.

c.) None of us know enough facts to offer categoric conclusions.

Guest Max Stafford

The Daily Mail, motivated by spite and malice. Probably the most evil dead tree by product since Der Sturmer.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

I also believe that those who take these kind of photos and sell them to the gutter for personal gain are no better than those who denounced folk as witches in the 17th century or those who carried out similar acts under Stalin or McCarthy's watch.

Sorry for going off on one!

Dave.

:O

Like this apparently - direct quote from the article

"Unidentified man was behind the wheel of 30-wagon locomotive last month"

A journalist that clearly understands how the railway works - NOT !!

No wonder Voyager drivers seem to spray their windscreens when approaching my camera to avoid potential cr*p like this.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sitting here wondering how much I could make from my collection.

start a thread on drivers pulling faces because the blinked, sneezed, blew their nose? all utterly despicable things to do in charge of a train.

• RMweb Gold

Typically moronic media reaction - and it seems to have got the treatment it deserves judging by the 'comments' section (btw quote from a well known DM columnist when I asked him, at our local Lit Fest less than a week ago. about the checking of accuracy in reports in the DM online version 'It's edited by very professional people and I'm sure they check all articles properly and will quickly correct them in the very unlikely event that an error gets through' Mind you he also described it as an online version of 'Hello' magazine and I think he was at least on the ball with that comment if not his answer to my original question).

• RMweb Gold

I thought they usually pulled the blind down when they know you are about. :threaten:

And "wave" at me ... pointing out the two seagulls flying above my head.

But think how much money I could make with a photo where the driver can't see anything ... (and I could quote "industry sources" saying this is acceptable behaviour too !) - fame and fortune here I come....

Not really, I only report dangerous/abusive behaviour to the TOC and let them take whatever action they feel is necessary.

----

I must admit to head shaking though that a so called "enthusiast" would do this, it's no wonder some of the staff dislike us

• RMweb Premium

The Daily Mail, motivated by spite and malice. Probably the most evil dead tree by product since Der Sturmer.

Though I believe they'd be in a neck-and-neck race with a certain German tabloid with a name consisting of four letters - fittingly, I should think.

Fancy that, the sheer irresponsibility of it, blinking whilst being in charge of a 30 wagon locomotive, whatever one of those is.... 'reporting' of this nature just goes to prove something I've long thought true, that the media see the railway and anything connected to it as 'fair game'.

It's a jolly good job the snapper didn't take one of the Driver bending down out of sight to turn the cab heater on or off, as the switch is mounted at the bottom of the heater panel near the cab floor.... imagine the ruck that would have caused....

(***Edit for accuracy... original heater controls are near thef loor, but some of our locos now have new controls mounted in the switch panel above the side windows***)

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to head shaking though that a so called "enthusiast" would do this, it's no wonder some of the staff dislike us

And then enthusiasts wonder why some staff are so hostile towards them....

Echo !

...'reporting' of this nature just goes to prove something I've long thought true, that the media see the railway and anything connected to it as 'fair game'...

No need to feel persecuted, Nidge. They treat anything and anyone that might be considered part of a public service, even privatised ones, as fair game.

Nick

Archived