Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The tower was officially called the clock tower, until 2012 when it became the Elizabeth tower. The Victorians referred to it as St Stephens tower.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chips should be taken with salt to bring out the flavour. Vinegar causes sogginess, but a pickled onion for contrasting sharpness and a proper "crunch" should be mandatory. The addition of gravy is acceptable as a cultural aberration in some regions, but the addition of cheese (something the Yanks seem to do with all and any food) is definitely not on.

I like the Belgian idea of putting mayonnaise on their chips.

When I studied horology the clock was known as the great clock of Westminster.

I thought that was generally agreed to be Boris Johnson (after Cecil Parkinson)!

Oh I'm sorry, I misread that, you said "clock".

• Like 1

Calvé all the way for me :yes:  Made in NL, of course ;) (and in actual fact, I lived not too far from the factory at the time, late 80's/early 90's.  :) )

Not available in the usual supermarket chains here, but is available via Amazon. Must give it a go....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Big Ben" is, indeed, the bell - but in the UK, the clock tower is "generically" known as "Big Ben" by the public

Yes, so only a select few, get to take a photo of 'Big Ben'!

• RMweb Premium

"Big Ben" is, indeed, the bell - but in the UK, the clock tower is "generically" known as "Big Ben" by the public

I recall being told, that if you listen to a radio in Australia, you actually get to hear it, before someone standing on the other side of the Thames does. Assuming a live broadcast, of course. Such is the difference between the speed of sound & that of light.

• RMweb Premium

Every model shop needs an owner who can provide this service...

attachicon.gifReceipt.jpg

Many years ago a friend helped a hotel, to programme a computer to produce bills and receipts. It could for instance change, burger and chips plus a couple of pints into, rump steak and chips. Since the company we worked for would not allow alcohol with our meals to be claimed for, those of us in the know, used the place regularly..,......
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall being told, that if you listen to a radio in Australia, you actually get to hear it, before someone standing on the other side of the Thames does. Assuming a live broadcast, of course. Such is the difference between the speed of sound & that of light.

We get that in the house with digital tv & radio - it can be quite fun listening to 'The Archers' with one receiver on analogue and the other on digital as you know what each character is going to say about half a sentence before they say it.  Also the digital receivers are out of sync for some reason so you get the same effect with them.

Tim

Watch this space sounds like good business sense to me.

Marc 

The "low cost" receipt has been available from London Road Models, f.o.c., upon request for purchases at shows for many years. With the increasing use of credit cards as opposed to cash, the facility is rarely asked for nowadays, presumably because CC accounts's don't give you anywhere to hide if the domestic authorities can get hold of it.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago a friend helped a hotel, to programme a computer to produce bills and receipts. It could for instance change, burger and chips plus a couple of pints into, rump steak and chips. Since the company we worked for would not allow alcohol with our meals to be claimed for, those of us in the know, used the place regularly..,......

I used to just ask for a handwritten receipt which said "meal".

Mike.

• Like 1

I was disappointed to see what seemed to be a large attack of Fresh Graffiti on the walls on the approach to Birmingham New Street around Proof House Junction. I was particularly unimpressed with the miscreant repeatedly spraying the tag 'void' with an apparent total lack of artistic talent. About two seconds later the penny dropped...

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Gold

That is technically impossible. Yes, the speed of light (electricity) and sound differ by a factor 1000, but after the electrical signal reaches Down Under, it's transformed again to sound waves before they reach your ear. And that speed is in Oz exactly the same as in London ;)

How do you know you're not actually listening to the chime from the hour before, or even the day before.....

That is technically impossible. Yes, the speed of light (electricity) and sound differ by a factor 1000, but after the electrical signal reaches Down Under, it's transformed again to sound waves before they reach your ear. And that speed is in Oz exactly the same as in London ;)

Yes, but you're unlikely to be the width of the Thames away from the speaker of your radio.