The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I didn't really notice much, as I was lounging about filling my pants, in the early 70's (no change there then) but weren't there similar shortages about when we joined the EEC? 

Only judging by this contemporary program there appears to have been a shortage of scissors and razor blades.

829220539_Hairy70s.jpg.d3d18ac306ace3865abb4db4ac6c31f1.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I didn't really notice much, as I was lounging about filling my pants, in the early 70's (no change there then) but weren't there similar shortages about when we joined the EEC? 

Only judging by this contemporary program there appears to have been a shortage of scissors and razor blades.

829220539_Hairy70s.jpg.d3d18ac306ace3865abb4db4ac6c31f1.jpg

Not a bad series that, with a cracking cast and some great cars - the prison van blag scene in the underpass is particularly well filmed....

1112844758_VILLAINS73a.jpg.eb47fcf9e8d4af8c85bfcb6c20c0bc8e.jpg

538643281_VILLAINS57.jpg.841f2c2956c1ea112bfe017cfb711af3.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

This is a handout my 5 year old grandson brought home from kindergarten for his parents to read. They’re about to start to learn to print in kindergarten using this method. Things have certainly changed since I started school (the ice-sheets have retreated for one thing).

The basic components of letters:

5268C413-7212-44F1-8DE4-696CE7166BC4.jpeg.91d1a8fb8c3cd8f1e5bf8f7153fa49b4.jpeg

Upper and lower case letters described using these components:

8B6BD796-93B0-44F0-9576-56CC6F64AE93.jpeg.c90535da7b16f8bfc251cd420417533d.jpeg

C1CAC66B-4454-44A9-BEB0-72CB81406BC3.jpeg.4933fae9f1591d35692131a0d6a5c8c0.jpeg

Capital ‘O’ umlaut would be interesting.

Edited by pH
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, pH said:

This is a handout my 5 year old grandson brought home from kindergarten for his parents to read. They’re about to start to learn to print in kindergarten using this method. Things have certainly changed since I started school (the ice-sheets have retreated for one thing).

5268C413-7212-44F1-8DE4-696CE7166BC4.jpeg.91d1a8fb8c3cd8f1e5bf8f7153fa49b4.jpeg

Upper and lower case letters described using these components:

8B6BD796-93B0-44F0-9576-56CC6F64AE93.jpeg.c90535da7b16f8bfc251cd420417533d.jpeg

C1CAC66B-4454-44A9-BEB0-72CB81406BC3.jpeg.4933fae9f1591d35692131a0d6a5c8c0.jpeg

Capital ‘O’ umlaut would be interesting.

As Sir Robert Marks might have said, "A significant contribution to literacy!"

or....

this may take some time

"Big Zoom  Big Zoom Huff   Little Roar Little Click  Half Drop Plop  Roar Half Zip Sploosh  Half Drop Boing  Half  Drop Plop  Foup Zoom  Half Drop Plop  Roar  Roar Half Zip Half Drop  Half Drop Boing  Drop Vroom   Roar  Weee  Half Drop Boing  Little Roar Little Click  Half Drop Plop  Drop Half Zip Roar  Vroom Roar  Half Drop Half Boing  Roar Half Zip Half Drop  Drop Half Zip Click  Drop  Vroom Roar   Drop Vroom  Weee   Drop  Half Drop Plop  Drop Vroom  Vroom Roar  Half Drop Half Boing  Roar Half Zip Half Drop  Roar  Zoom Big Zoom"

Crikey!!!

(To "help", I transcribed as two spaces between letters and three between words...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

Or mathematically, the unlikely intersection of two sets: onomatopoeia and calligraphy.

And to think that someone worked very hard on this.

I presume that diaresis / umlauts are "plop plop".

• Funny 4

38 minutes ago, Hroth said:

"Big Zoom  Big Zoom Huff   Little Roar Little Click  Half Drop Plop  Roar Half Zip Sploosh  Half Drop Boing  Half  Drop Plop  Foup Zoom  Half Drop Plop  Roar  Roar Half Zip Half Drop  Half Drop Boing  Drop Vroom   Roar  Weee  Half Drop Boing  Little Roar Little Click  Half Drop Plop  Drop Half Zip Roar  Vroom Roar  Half Drop Half Boing  Roar Half Zip Half Drop  Drop Half Zip Click  Drop  Vroom Roar   Drop Vroom  Weee   Drop  Half Drop Plop  Drop Vroom  Vroom Roar  Half Drop Half Boing  Roar Half Zip Half Drop  Roar  Zoom Big Zoom"

I really, really admire your perseverance in coding and typing that! Unfortunately, I do not feel I have enough time available to spend what I would need to decode and understand it.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, pH said:

I really, really admire your perseverance in coding and typing that! Unfortunately, I do not feel I have enough time available to spend what I would need to decode and understand it.

Send it to NSA, er, Bletchly(sp?) Park?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

And to think I managed to get there by simply learning how to draw the shape of each * * * * * * Roar 1/2 zip sploosh  letter.......

Same thing happening with mathematics - seems to be a desire to get away from the rote method of learning, maybe to do with not excluding those who have difficulty learning by the traditional methods?

Edited by Osgood
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I would expect it to be fluent in Latin by that age....

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

:prankster:

It's all Greek to me.....

:scratchhead:

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I would expect it to be fluent in Latin by that age....

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

:prankster:

Or,

Quantum lignum potuit marmota monax?

si marmota. posset monax lignum.

Quantum lignum quantum marmota monax.

si marmota. posset monax lignum.

Edited by rocor
Life of Brian Latin lesson added.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3