The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

2 hours ago, CameronL said:

As a further thought, an 80kg sheep travelling at the speed of light would have a kinetic energy of three point six times ten to the eighteen joules, which is the same as over fifty-seven thousand Hiroshima-sized nuclear weapons. You wouldn't want to get in the way of that.

Hmmmmm....

Can it be weaponised?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Can it be weaponised?

A railgun big enough to accelerate a sheep to lightspeed would be a big ask. If one could be developed Wales would suddenly become a major world power.

It might need the organising of the SALT III talks (that's Sheep Accelerator Limitation Talks).

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

1 minute ago, CameronL said:

A railgun big enough to accelerate a sheep to lightspeed would be a big ask. If one could be developed Wales would suddenly become a major world power.

It might need the organising of the SALT III talks (that's Sheep Accelerator Limitation Talks).

In a future unreality, I can envision the Welsh and the Scots lobbing HyperSheep(TM) at each other....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In a future unreality, I can envision the Welsh and the Scots lobbing HyperSheep(TM) at each other....

With England in between? The thought of Nicola Sturgeon with WMDs (Weapons of Mutton Destruction) really gives me the willies. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Not to worry, the figures quoted were of a sheep traveling in a vacuum; so unless they are ensconced in a Shark or such, they will burn up in the atmosphere immediately upon exiting the railgun's muzzle.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not to worry, the figures quoted were of a sheep traveling in a vacuum; so unless they are ensconced in a Shark or such, they will burn up in the atmosphere immediately upon exiting the railgun's muzzle.

Mutton kebabs, anyone?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Here in the Borders we're currently surrounded by sheep, the problem if they were to be weaponised is to have them stay alive for long enough as every day sheep find a new and novel way to die.

The common saying is that if you've got livestock, you've also got deadstock

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

There is an alternative theory to ‘wooly bags of bones looking for new ways to die’, which is that they are a Borg-like collective intelligence plotting the overthrow and enslavement of humanity.  This gives the concept of ovine terminal velocity a bit of an edge.  

If you doubt this, just look into one’s eyes.  It’s cold, dead, pitiless eyes…

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 14/05/2022 at 18:51, chris p bacon said:

Here in the Borders we're currently surrounded by sheep, the problem if they were to be weaponised is to have them stay alive for long enough as every day sheep find a new and novel way to die.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not funny at all!

Had you said that you didn't find it funny, I wouldn't be responding,

but you are not really in a position to comment or criticise, firstly,

humour (like beauty) is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder (listener),

secondly, you are from the USA, where the concept of humour is still

trying to establish itself!

• RMweb Premium

That's an example of black humour, a concept I didn't get as a child and young adult, but eventually twigged it in my late teens. There's also a lot of irony in there, and I gather that's something many U.S. citizens have difficulty with.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OTOH, hiking in the Cambrian Mountains back in the 70s with some chums, we came across a supreme example of ovine ability to dispose of themselves.  On a plateau of open moorland in the area to the east of the Elan Valley reservoirs, a sheep had managed to stumble into a sheep-sized pool, the only one for miles in any direction, and just sufficient to cover it’s nostrils.  

Unfortunately, it had done this several weeks previously, and we found it necessary to keep upwind of a rather unpleasant mutton stew.  Stupid animals…

They could still be a Borg-like collective intelligence, though. 

Getting back to units of measurement, The Squeeze, who is Polish, measures in Berlins, as in ‘she has *rse like Berlin’, to which I responded ‘yeah, split north to south’, which I’m rather proud of…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, steve1 said:

Made me laugh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-61455387

I particularly appreciated the placing of the rope…

steve

Hopefully sacked by the morning and joining the dole queue.

I'm far from a liker of Thatcher, but the guy works for the arts organisation run by the council that put it up!

So he's alright taking money from taxpayers who voted to erect the thing....

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Hopefully sacked by the morning and joining the dole queue.

I'm far from a liker of Thatcher, but the guy works for the arts organisation run by the council that put it up!

So he's alright taking money from taxpayers who voted to erect the thing....

I agree with the sentiment, although looking at the statue, it looks like it would be difficult to place a sling elsewhere, without risk of it slipping / toppling.  The crane operator may have been simply ensuring it's safety.

Edit:  Perhaps he should have chosen a Blue strop...   😄

Edited by jcredfer
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I agree with the sentiment, although looking at the statue, it looks like it would be difficult to place a sling elsewhere, without risk of it slipping / toppling.  The crane operator may have been simply ensuring it's safety.

Edit:  Perhaps he should have chosen a Blue strop...   😄

The lady spent most of her time in one sort of strop or another,  anyhow! 😇

John

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1