The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

That's not so much dodging a bullet as dodging the entire ammunition dump...

Cheryl clearly had major issues, and my first thought is that they were probably rooted in her mother's clearly being an unprincipled and manipulative batch; if she was prepared to pimp out her daughter on to you in the hope of offloading, imagine what she must have done over the years to poor Cheryl.  Whatever it was, it clearly impacted on the rest of her life!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, Hroth said:

However, the prediction for my starsign looks promising, "Peribea cwm* con et lanis doloreram", eh?  😂

* I thought something was missing, I've had to slip some Welsh in because the Net Nanny took exception to the "u" that the "w" replaces...

Perineal pains and sorrowful wool? That would not seem like a prediction that one was about to have a good day.

The wrong time of the month, maybe?

Edited by rocor
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Tha's one of 'em dogs wot needs the brakes seein' to, innit...

Cute as anything though. My niece was looking after it so took it to mine!

I know the breeding of them can be cruel as they can have breathing difficulties. But it really is a lovely well behaved dog.

14 hours ago, Dr.Glum said:

This thread is 'Things that make you laugh', so references to Rhoose Airport make me laugh in a way that sounds really disturbing to anyone listening as it was the scene of the greatest escape of my life from the imminent danger of getting lured into marriage. While I was a naive student, my parents and me went to stay in Bridgend with old family friends, in about 1968. And their daughter. "Why don't you and Cheryl borrow the car and go for a meal at the restaurant at the airport?" I was quite taken with the idea of acting like adults (shows what my self image was like!) so it was all planned and we got all dressed up smart (very short mini dress for her, suit for me) and went.

Evening: it wasn't very busy. The Waitress was Welsh chatty and said, "Ah luvly, look at you two, are you off on your honeymoon?"  Such a big laugh (play soundtrack doom and dread mucic.) I was oblivious to all this.

After the meal we sat in the car in the very dark car park on the bench seat of my Dad's Renault 1100 and talked, swapping amusing student tales, until I said it's getting late we'd better get back. Off we drive.

Back at the house she disappeared upstairs in a flash, while I explained to her mother what a Nice Time we'd had. Things seemed a little odd, but at the time I thought nothing of it.

Next morning at breakfast I enquired where Cheryl was, and was told "we've called for the doctor, she's paralysed and can't get out of bed". Mmm?

Cut a long story short, her Mum had hatched up this plan that I'd get carried away with the romance of the evening and take advantage (however slightly) in the dark car park and have to get engaged to be married. Nowhere was that on my horizon at that stage of my life. The disappointment then affected Cheryl's physical state.

I never discovered to what extent my own mother was complicit, although she had made noises about grandchildren.

Over the years I stayed in touch, Cheryl had all sorts of marital and emotional problems and I really dodged a bullet, by being a straightforward mate with a girl on that night.

And so you'll understand why I laugh in a funny way when Rhoose airport is mentioned.

Thought it was "smile" rather than laugh.   :) rather than :))

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pedant!

(hang on, isn't that a sort of lamp that hangs down from the ceiling)

(no, that's a peasant, and they're revolting0

(no it's a pheasant, which are also revolting if they've been hung too long)

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Pedant!

(hang on, isn't that a sort of lamp that hangs down from the ceiling)

This is an example of a pendant!

ceiling.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

1036382244_optical1.jpg.51038f79020942999ebf6d5c19541c1a.jpg

Thats sort of like a modern take on a candlestick/faces picture, though I can't make my mind up about interpretation. Its either bums or.... (A weekly look at church architecture).

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Thats sort of like a modern take on a candlestick/faces picture, though I can't make my mind up about interpretation. Its either bums or.... (A weekly look at church architecture).

No , it's a lamp with a black frame and a white globe shade against a wall behind it with

some floral bits showing .