The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BoD said:

I have just tried  to log onto the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers website and ….

IMG_0380.jpeg.37e08a7fc0d82becac87ab95fd0a8a3d.jpeg

9 hours ago, Nick C said:

There aren't any, that I can see. and I know I won't be the only one on this forum dull enough to check...

(red-red-brown, 220 ohm)

Maybe, just maybe, that is the correct answer; none of them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Nick C said:

(red-red-brown, 220 ohm)

Depends on the range, I use the ones with five bands where the multiplier is different as there are 3 digits & multiplier + tolerance.

Most of the ones in the picture are 5 bands

IIRC should be typically red-red-black-brown = 2, 2, 0 x1 + brown for 1%

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, big jim said:

This is fantastic, the deco band redo tunes with a 1980s vibe, their version of the Verve’s Bitter sweet symphony is a cracker, especially when dubbed over the original video 

https://x.com/decobanduk/status/1732445560949375293?s=46&t=_D0idSTEdpin4MyBN8ca4g

Reminds me of some other mob who did a New Order song using only 1930s instruments.. 

There was a bit of a thing in the early 2000s for bands doing covers in a totally different incongruous genre, like heavy metal versions of ABBA and hillbilly country banjo versions of ACDC songs etc.. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Reminds me of some other mob who did a New Order song using only 1930s instruments.. 

There was a bit of a thing in the early 2000s for bands doing covers in a totally different incongruous genre, like heavy metal versions of ABBA and hillbilly country banjo versions of ACDC songs etc.. 

Started well before then. Mid 1980s I first saw those "gimmicky tribute acts" begin to appear. I think we've got a certain Australian wobbleboardist to blame for making it popular with Stairway To Heaven!

Funniest one was Dread Zeppelin. Reggae/Rock versions of Led Zeppelin songs with an Elvis impersonator singing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Zeppelin

Unfortunately the joke usually wears thin pretty quick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Interesting, when I posted it elsewhere as a link, the preview suggests what it might be!

When I first posted here it came up as a pic like the videos above, which as you say shows the product.  However on here you get the option to show the link only, rather than the pic so you can make it a tease

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Hayseed Dixie are still around and have done a lot of work in the UK. I quite like them.

https://youtu.be/sAWl5peI8HY?si=mW5dlwK1_Y1HQfGr

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Here you go...

Orkestra Obsolete play Blue Monday

For comparison, here's the original release of Blue Monday, by New Order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHT_rLNEj84

Link only, because there are no visuals!

Its worrying to realise that it came out in 1983, so its 40 years old.

I've got the 12" single...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Shopping trip yesterday.  Who knew my car was so fast?  No wonder it isn’t very economical.

IMG_4637.png.bd5299f425ecec25ba8e5a1ce3081926.png

Edited by Martino
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 8