The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

We are having bin-related issues here at the moment.  The Council have been hovering close to "bankruptcy" so have been looking for economies everywhere.  The bin men have for years worked on  "job and finish" so they did their allotted rounds as fast as possible and went home early.  Someone has decided that they were not working their full contracted hours and that was "wasting money".  Bear in mind that the rounds are fixed, so they can't start on the next day's round as the bins won't be out.  They have been instructed, following a 'Consultation' with their union (note, not an 'agreement') to work their full hours, take all  their breaks, at the depot, or a location with toilets, and to follow all rules re handling bins, including push, don't pull, no side waste and only one at a time.  Now, many areas are getting collections a day or more late and some areas haven't had one for a while.  Commentators on the local press and community websites are generally blaming the unions or the sitting council, rather than nationwide cuts in council support.  Having worked for said council for 30 years I have encountered the sort of middle management 'jobsworth' that would make this decision.  My line manager could run rings round them

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That must be some mighty powerful wind, Alabama is a long way from the UK!

Bl00dy wind turbines!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yeah .. that's what he said last time we caught him flashing at the neighbours.

In pursuit of the body beautiful . .

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

When I go out for a walk with my son, on the way back at roughly the right place, I says to him...

"Don't worry, we'll soon be home. Just another million millimetres to go!"

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3

It’s official: The UK is the second-most miserable nation in the world

So says

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/mental-wellness-index-uk-miserable-nation/

I'm really miserable that we were beaten to first place by Uzbekistan in the overall rankings.

But we're top of the "% distressed/struggling".

Huzzah! Britain still leads the world in some things!

Original source = https://mentalstateoftheworld.report/2023_read/

I identify as Marvin

“The first ten million years were the worst, and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.”

Marvin is obviously British. Perhaps even Scottish? Who knows? (we're all doomed anyway).

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 08/03/2024 at 07:18, PaulRhB said:

IMG_4916.jpeg.11e742da38db8fe7f98ed00a8fa6d1cb.jpeg

Oh Pooh, what have you done?

Razzie Awards 2024:  Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey has swept the board at the Razzie Awards, winning five of the 10 categories. The slasher film took advantage of the copyright for AA Milne's classic tale expiring, and reimagined the characters of the Hundred Acre Wood as vicious serial killers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68510904

If you go down to the woods today,

you're sure of a nasty surprise.

Best not ask what happens to Piglet.

Bacon sandwich anyone?

• Like 3