Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I also pre-ordered a Bachmann 39-527 BR green parcels van at a guaranteed price of £16.11 from Hattons on 15 May 2014 to beat the price rise. It is not due until September but Hattons have put the price up on my account to £24.61. I have cancelled my order as I already have some similar parcels vans from other manufacturers so I can manage without this one. I did receive an apology from Hattons

I have cancelled all my pre-orders with them and will wait and see where I can get the models I want form my local shop, total per orders cancelled with Hatton, 6.

This is all due to the prices rise from Bachmann and the pre order price from Hatton's not matching  up at release.

I can get better deal from other shops now and I am thinking that this price increases has hit Hatton's pre orders if going by the numbers on here have cancelled?.

I also pre-ordered a Bachmann 39-527 BR green parcels van at a guaranteed price of £16.11 from Hattons on 15 May 2014 to beat the price rise. It is not due until September but Hattons have put the price up on my account to £24.61.

So that's what, a 50% increase...? Cripes... :O

• Like 1

Winter 2014. I was trying to find the one for May 2014 when I made the pre-order. Unfortunately I did not print out Hattons' guarantee on their website to beat Bachmann's average 20% price increase if I placed an order by a certain date so I have been bluffing Hattons in my correspondence with them. I have asked them for a refund of £17 for the LBSCR E4 that they sent yesterday as I have claimed it was an unauthorised deduction against my credit card.

• Like 1

Please see enclosed extract from Hattons Best Sellers Brochure. Bottom line "All pre-order prices guaranteed."

The 'Summer 2015' edition ('Hatton's Supplement 329RM') currently in my greasy mitts (came with the May RM) has the following in the bottom left corner of Page 1:

"Prices valid until 8th June 2015. Errors Excepted. Some preorder prices subject to manufacturer RRP changes."

So not exactly valid for the whole of Summer 2015 then (in fact it doesn't reach the official start of Summer) - and a preorder 'get-out' clause has finally reared its ugly head.

EDIT: reading further, at the bottom of Page 18 is the same legend as in the example posted by Robin above...

Edited by talisman56

Hattons altered the wording after Bachmann stopped Hattons from discounting by more than 15%. I have received a telephone call from the customer services manager of Hattons and have come to an amicable arrangement about the LBSCR E4 as Hattons did not want my credit card company to get involved. During our conversation he mentioned that Hattons had sold about 1,000 Southern green E4s. I don't know the production run but I think 2,000 is a reasonable estimate. This would mean that about half Bachmann's production run goes through Hattons. He thought Bachmann were putting more pressure on Hattons than other shops to keep to the agreement because we had both noticed that some model shops were undercutting Hattons and Bachmann had not withdrawn their supply from them. When the Bachmann PMV comes out in September at £24.61 it will be more expensive than a Hornby R4429 Pullman at £22 from Hattons and I know from Simon Kohler's talk a few years ago that Hornby is not happy about its Pullmans being sold at less than half the recommended retail price.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-owned bargains in OO currently include an unmade Parkside PS12 8 plank wagon kit for a mere 26 squid... only I cannot paste the very long url to this reply for you to have a laugh too ;-(

That's an O gauge kit, not OO (still a bit pricey for second hand, however !)

Hattons remain my favourite retailer but for me now pre-orders are off the menu. They always seemed to mature (get shipped) on the very last day before the credit card monthly bill cut off date which must take some organising. I cancelled my pre-order for the Farish Class 47 and was glad I did because it looks quite unspectacular to my eyes. As long as you are on Hattons weekly emailed newsletter placing a swift order for anything new, looking good, and decently priced seems like a better course of action.

I'm a bit miffed at Hattons at the moment. I placed an order last Wednesday for items that were in stock and I've only just received an email to say it's being shipped today! How and in what order are orders processed? They seriously need to up their game....there are others particularly a Bristol based retailer that manages to pick, despatch and deliver within 48 hours at the latest.

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit miffed at Hattons at the moment. I placed an order last Wednesday for items that were in stock and I've only just received an email to say it's being shipped today! How and in what order are orders processed? They seriously need to up their game....there are others particularly a Bristol based retailer that manages to pick, despatch and deliver within 48 hours at the latest.

Same happened to me recently, took a week from ordering to parcel arriving - I contacted Hattons after three days to see what was going on (having had no notification of shipping) and was informed there was a delay due to something to do with their warehouse.

It did take an email from me to find this out but Hattons but to their credit they did reply to my email really quickly (unlike a different large northern-based retailer from whom I never received a reply at all to an email query I sent them...!).

At the same time as my Hattons order, I also placed one with the Bristol outfit (qv?) and got my stuff delivered just over a day after first ordering.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Same happened to me recently, took a week from ordering to parcel arriving - I contacted Hattons after three days to see what was going on (having had no notification of shipping) and was informed there was a delay due to something to do with their warehouse.

It did take an email from me to find this out but Hattons but to their credit they did reply to my email really quickly (unlike a different large northern-based retailer from whom I never received a reply at all to an email query I sent them...!).

At the same time as my Hattons order, I also placed one with the Bristol outfit (qv?) and got my stuff delivered just over a day after first ordering.

cheers,

Keith

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I chased them up via the chat line and got a similar response. My order was dispatched two days later.

Cheers

Simon

On Sunday the 31st May I placed orders with both Kyte's Lights and Hattons.  The Kyte's Lights order arrived in Bulgaria on the same day (Thursday 4th June) that the Hattons order was dispatched.

I contacted Hattons on the 3rd June, and they had emailed me to say that they had been having some building work done on their dispatch area which had caused them some delays, but they expected to be able to dispatch my parcel on that day (the 3rd).

This is the third piece of minor irritation that I have had from them this year.  No one of these minor issues would particularly concern me, but the succession of little gripes is noticeable.  Previously, I have had matchless service from them.

• RMweb Gold

The same here, I have also been tempted by the shop in bristol, I like their website, but the postal charges! I live in Denmark, Hattons would charge me £4 for a Heljan Hymek. The 'other place' would charge £9.50 and they both claim to be using the same postal service!

• RMweb Gold

Still no issues for me, website is a breeze to use,

If only. Every item I look to examine by clicking either the photo or "View Details" yields this again :

"Sorry an error occured. Please try again. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source at System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate) at eHattonsV5.Controllers.StockController.StockDetails(Int32 stockID)"

All IT systems have their bad hair day, but I seem to get this more often than not. My money therefore goes elsewhere.