Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

post-25458-0-36480800-1525254571_thumb.jpg

I respectfully suggest that green is best.

(With acknowledgement to LH Loveless for the appropriation of their image of a very nice O gauge model).

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 8

For me the main point which emerges from all this ribaldry and japing is that all the 'proper' liveries are so much better than the lion's share of contemporary offerings ... but then perhaps I am just overly nostalgic .... the old typefaces and posters were better too!  :onthequiet:

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The old blue and grey is still particularly stylish, especially when on an HST power car.

It was a knocked livery, but plenty of us still like it.

attachicon.gif Mons Meg.jpg

(With acknowledgement to LH Loveless for the appropriation of their image of a very nice O gauge model).

I actually like green engines. But I think that apple green looks awful on the big LNER locomotives but attractive on the smaller ones. I reckon the bigger engines look much better in Brunswick.

By big I mean A1/A2/A3/A4/V2/W1. B1 and similar size locomotives look fine.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I tend to look at liveries as a complete train. Apple Green and teak look great together. Not so Apple Green and BR Maroon. GWR green looks good with chocolate and cream, red and cream or maroon but clashes with teak.

The all crimson lake Midland livery is a great example of loco and carriages being the same colour and looks magnificent, as does LNWR black with their carriage livery. SR all green never does look quite as pleasing to my eyes though I know lots of people feel otherwise.

There are few steam era liveries that don't please the eye. There are many modern ones!

Edited for silly autocorrect!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

GNER was the only post privatisation livery I have liked.

I took one look at the GNER livery and gave up lineside photography for good!

ArthurK 

Almost anything but Maroon and BR Green, super yuck. The BR moss green, or whatever, works with Crimson and Cream better. Nothing gose with maroon but black and more maroon, I wouldn't want a maroon garden though. Teak and Grass green (not apple green I believe) are like a beutiful summers meadow on the edge of a wood, the GN did it better than the LNER though. And finnaly I do like a bit of blue.

post-26757-0-24740000-1525272968_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

attachicon.gifMons Meg.jpg

On the evidence of  Roy Jackson's P2 in BR Green, I prefer it to apple green.  More practical, too.

Tone

Just as a matter of interest, what would be the difference in ride height between a fully coaled and watered and a nearly empty 8 wheel tender - would it be noticeable enough for true pedants to consider when 'coaling' their tenders?

Tony,

I painted a SEF A3 some years ago. There was room for improvement with some parts if you were so inclined, but the general outline was very good. I thought that the assembled boiler was a particularly good example of white metal craftsmanship..

With regard to the Hornby eight wheel tenders, the ones that I have looked at personally have been proportionally accurate. However, all of them sat too high on the wheels by about one or two mm. Apparently a number of people have complained that the lettering on the tender of the LNER versions has been applied too high, it is indeed out of line with the cab numbers. The lettering is actually in the correct place on the tender, it's the whole body that wants to be lowered on its wheel sets.

Just as a matter of interest, what would be the difference in ride height between a fully coaled and watered and a nearly empty 8 wheel tender - would it be noticeable enough for true pedants to consider when 'coaling' their tenders?

Lanchester,

to be honest I don't know, somebody probably does. I can't imagine it would be very much, given that there dosn't seem to be any discernible difference between photographs of locomotives having being just rolled out of the paint shop and those departing with a full tender full of coal. A lot would depend on the condition of the springs. If they were well worn you would expect the tender to sit down more, but I couldn't see a circumstance were the tender could raise up by a scale six inches.

• RMweb Premium

Lanchester,

to be honest I don't know, somebody probably does. I can't imagine it would be very much, given that there dosn't seem to be any discernible difference between photographs of locomotives having being just rolled out of the paint shop and those departing with a full tender full of coal. A lot would depend on the condition of the springs. If they were well worn you would expect the tender to sit down more, but I couldn't see a circumstance were the tender could raise up by a scale six inches.

If the loco and tender were just rolled out of the paintshop would both be riding high on the springs due to empty boiler and tender??

just found out about this thread a week ago before coming over for the day, thank you Tony

27985060108_a9b86dc9ca_b.jpgM&GN bridges by Sam, on Flickr

40046807560_ecce507937_b.jpgBytham (4) by Sam, on Flickr

27985061618_44fcde1638_b.jpgBytham (3) by Sam, on Flickr

27985062548_d9c90e5caf_b.jpgBytham M&GN by Sam, on Flickr

40046811820_6c1f22530c_b.jpgBytham station building and forecourt by Sam, on Flickr

27985064568_66ff5db80b_b.jpgBytham station (2) by Sam, on Flickr

41853692121_df677c43c9_b.jpgBytham station and willoughby arms by Sam, on Flickr

26985559227_c9b86f2cf4_b.jpgBytham goods yard by Sam, on Flickr

27985069488_d10028e2d2_b.jpgBytham station by Sam, on Flickr

26985564947_8d9c7782d4_b.jpgBytham real station and forecourt by Sam, on Flickr

27985058908_dbb3260b65_b.jpgBytham eal M&GN bridge by Sam, on Flickr

26985563337_d61f3681f2_b.jpgBytham real willoughby Arms by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 13

The Santa Fe railroad "Warbonnet" red & silver paint scheme is a hard one to beat. 

e3a5fc3c3092c807b0e015e8b962cf4c.jpg

It also looks good on modern locomotives. A truly "classic" paint scheme.

e1a653eba9f9b321aa8de2e9f1ea41a7.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 5

just found out about this thread a week ago before coming over for the day, thank you Tony

27985060108_a9b86dc9ca_b.jpgM&GN bridges by Sam, on Flickr

40046807560_ecce507937_b.jpgBytham (4) by Sam, on Flickr

27985061618_44fcde1638_b.jpgBytham (3) by Sam, on Flickr

27985062548_d9c90e5caf_b.jpgBytham M&GN by Sam, on Flickr

40046811820_6c1f22530c_b.jpgBytham station building and forecourt by Sam, on Flickr

27985064568_66ff5db80b_b.jpgBytham station (2) by Sam, on Flickr

41853692121_df677c43c9_b.jpgBytham station and willoughby arms by Sam, on Flickr

26985559227_c9b86f2cf4_b.jpgBytham goods yard by Sam, on Flickr

27985069488_d10028e2d2_b.jpgBytham station by Sam, on Flickr

26985564947_8d9c7782d4_b.jpgBytham real station and forecourt by Sam, on Flickr

27985058908_dbb3260b65_b.jpgBytham eal M&GN bridge by Sam, on Flickr

26985563337_d61f3681f2_b.jpgBytham real willoughby Arms by Sam, on Flickr

Thanks for posting these Sam,

What a wonderful day. It was great to have you, Jamie, Dave and Mick down to play trains on LB. I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves (as much as I did), and thanks to you all for driving so diligently. Considering you'd all never driven it before, and I just handed over the controls and 'barked' orders, I thought it all went rather well.

Happily, the layout itself and all the locos/stock worked impeccably.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5