Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

With the exception of 46231, I saw all this magnificent class (one would work through Chester every day on the 10.05 to Holyhead, often a Crewe Works running-in turn).

I have fond memories of 46231 Duchess of Atholl during the summer of '62 when she made an unscheduled stop for water at Bletchley whilst working an up express. Presumably unable to take a re-fill at Castlethorpe troughs. As she was taking on water the crew took the opportunity to use the coal pusher to bring the coal forward and used the slack pipe to clear the coal dust. My Father and I received an impromptu warm shower! Happy Days.

• Like 4

With the Nu-Cast V2 out of the way (why did I say it took me 30 hours to build when it took 20?), attention was turned to the ongoing DJH Britannia.................

448485620_DJHBritannia06.jpg.c496443a038a4d8902e67b4a73e24c5b.jpg

Rather more complex. And, I've only just started on all that pipework! 

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, Pannier Tank said:

I have fond memories of 46231 Duchess of Atholl during the summer of '62 when she made an unscheduled stop for water at Bletchley whilst working an up express. Presumably unable to take a re-fill at Castlethorpe troughs. As she was taking on water the crew took the opportunity to use the coal pusher to bring the coal forward and used the slack pipe to clear the coal dust. My Father and I received an impromptu warm shower! Happy Days.

Fond memories indeed, David.

The Scottish-based Semis were always the most-difficult to cop for residents of Cheshire, even though I visited Crewe regularly. It would seem for much of the time they worked between Carlisle and Glasgow, with occasional jobs further south (often at night, it would seem). Your spotting of 46231 must have been a relative rarity at Bletchley. Wasn't she one of the first withdrawn? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2022 at 23:54, Jesse Sim said:

B4A5807F-0A96-4881-8EF7-2DEC37FE0078.jpeg.4f8aa07b3aead1e92d11ee2acd786bfa.jpeg

Hello Jesse, I agree with the praise of your weathering: I don't weather my own models but I admire good work that others do.

Also, I just have to say I think the photo above is really wonderful, so atmospheric! I hadn't seen it before, thank you for posting.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Jesse, I agree with the praise of your weathering: I don't weather my own models but I admire good work that others do.

Also, I just have to say I think the photo above is really wonderful, so atmospheric! I hadn't seen it before, thank you for posting.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

With the Nu-Cast V2 out of the way (why did I say it took me 30 hours to build when it took 20?), attention was turned to the ongoing DJH Britannia.................

448485620_DJHBritannia06.jpg.c496443a038a4d8902e67b4a73e24c5b.jpg

Rather more complex. And, I've only just started on all that pipework! 

Funny looking LNER D2…. 😉

Edited by Jesse Sim

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The Scottish-based Semis were always the most-difficult to cop for residents of Cheshire, even though I visited Crewe regularly. It would seem for much of the time they worked between Carlisle and Glasgow, with occasional jobs further south (often at night, it would seem). Your spotting of 46231 must have been a relative rarity at Bletchley. Wasn't she one of the first withdrawn? 

Regards,

Tony. 

It was indeed a rarity to see 46231 at Bletchley, the one and only time I ever saw her. 

46227, 46231 & 46232 were all withdrawn in December 1962 from 66A.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting conversation regarding the cleanliness (or lack there of) of pre war A4's just as a few Duchesses show up in the thread.

Pre war LMS streamliners could get filthy, even the ones pulling the Coronation Scot and Royal Scots, in fact I've seen more photos of grubby ones pulling these top expresses than clean ones. It's an interesting comparison of the two companies judging from photos at the time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

There was an interesting post by @LNER4479here: 

about overnight use of Princess Coronations. Sadly his attachment seems to be one of the missing images.

Simon

• Like 2

On 31/05/2022 at 17:10, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Ray,

Mo's had a worse dose than I did but (as all woman do) is coping well. 

I've finished all the bodywork on my latest Nu-Cast V2...........

26144171_Nu-CastV209.jpg.2ddf97a1a88cafe3737f0199d006da0f.jpg

This was the state of play this morning.

1586263356_Nu-CastV210.jpg.d217e411e0ec51bca5c4768bf4f6c92b.jpg

And, this is it now (or about two hours ago). 

Just the motion to erect tomorrow. 

I think the Nu-Cast kit (on a decent chassis) makes up into a very-presentable V2, especially with a decent paint job (which won't be mine). 

I'm with you regarding preferences, despite the excellence of current RTR. You're also right about prices. With everything going up in price, current RTR (not just locos) is going to be beyond the pockets of many before too long.

I'm lucky in being 'exempt', so to speak. I have no need of RTR (though over 90 modified Bachmann Mk.1s have been very useful!) and I still have a stash of kits to build. I also have plenty of Romford/Markits wheels in stock (though they've gone 'through the roof' in terms of prices of late), plus motors and gearboxes. The rub will come when I have to restock.

Friends tell me that ebay can be a good source of stuff at reasonable prices. However, since the procedure is a total 'black art' as far as I'm concerned, I'll have to ask their assistance. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello , Tony ,

I hope Mo has fully recovered now , give her our best wishes .

I agree with you , the Nu Cast V.2  can be made up into a fine representation of the prototype & like yourself have a good stock of kits to build ( probably too many ) including three more class V.2  , so have no need to buy the Bachman model . Generally , like you , I find kit building more satisfying , although it takes me much longer than you to build them .

I know nothing about ebay but I am dubious about second hand kits , they often seem to have parts missing or are part built inaccurately & require more work than a new kit .

Anyway here's the last Nu Cast V.2 I built a year or two back .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

P1010278a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

46242 is indeed one of mine, scratchbuilt way back in 1979 and it's the best performing semi we have on Carlisle. Incidentally I saw all of them in my trainspotting days, mostly at Wigan but all between Preston and Crewe so the Scottish ones weren't so uncommon south of Carlisle.

• Like 5

Three of the blue Coronations did get the double chimney and blastpipe whilst blue. But ISTR the train had been discontinued due to the war before they got it.

6220  Coronation                Dec 1944

6221  Queen Elizabeth       Nov 1940

6222  Queen Mary              Aug 1943

6223  Princess Alice            Nov 1941

6224  Princess Alexandra  May 1940

Apart from 6221 Queen Elizabeth which had been repainted crimson in November 1940. The rest stayed in blue until 1944 when they were painted plain black.

6220 was the last streamlined Coronation to receive a double chimney in 1944.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

46242 is indeed one of mine, scratchbuilt way back in 1979 and it's the best performing semi we have on Carlisle. Incidentally I saw all of them in my trainspotting days, mostly at Wigan but all between Preston and Crewe so the Scottish ones weren't so uncommon south of Carlisle.

It's a lovely model Mike,

Who painted it? I assume Baz weathered it to such a natural appearance? 

The Scottish-allocated 'Semis', in my spotting experience, were rare compared to the English-based ones (at Liverpool, Warrington, Dutton, Hartford, Crewe, Basford Hall and Chester, where I saw them). They seemed to be under-utilised at times, for such powerful locos; pictures of them appearing at Edinburgh Princes Street Station, for instance.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's a lovely model Mike,

Who painted it? I assume Baz weathered it to such a natural appearance? 

The Scottish-allocated 'Semis', in my spotting experience, were rare compared to the English-based ones (at Liverpool, Warrington, Dutton, Hartford, Crewe, Basford Hall and Chester, where I saw them). They seemed to be under-utilised at times, for such powerful locos; pictures of them appearing at Edinburgh Princes Street Station, for instance.  

Regards,

Tony. 

It would have been painted originally by Larry Goddard, he did most of my locos for many years. I think Baz may have done some weathering on it much more recently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Should anyone be interested, I'm exhibiting at the Sleaford Show tomorrow (just me; although Mo is feeling better, she's still testing positive). 

It'll be my usual demo and loco-doctoring stand.

I hope to see you there. 

Where’s the nearest airport? 

• Funny 8

I had an excellent day at the Sleaford Show yesterday. My thanks to all the organisers and to those with whom I spoke. 

I made almost £20.00 for CRUK, fixing almost everything brought to me (apart from - guess what? - a DCC diesel!). 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Just read the post about the break in and theft of the Lime Street locos. Are there any links to any updates on this. Security is a big concern of mine. 

Why don’t you look on the Liverpool Lime St thread.

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Just read the post about the break in and theft of the Lime Street locos. Are there any links to any updates on this. Security is a big concern of mine. 

I don't think they will be giving a running commentary.

I would ensure your insurance is up to date, check that your stock is all secured in line with any requirements in the policy and keep knowledge of it's whereabouts to those who need to know.  I know you are big on guest operators to help with running at exhibitions, I would also suggest that only core operators are involved in the stowage and extraction of your stock and layout for exhibitions unless you know the guest operator well.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1