Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

A model railway exhibition is a exhibition of railway modelling. It is not an entertainment show.

But the Scalefour Society describes their events as shows

https://www.scalefour.org/shows/shows.html

What's the difference between a model railway show, and an exhibition?....

https://yorkshow.org.uk/

And on that bombshell...

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Premium

I have seen some very high quality finescale layouts that ran like pigs and that bored me silly I have seen some very nice layouts built entirely from RTR items that were highly entertaining to watch because they were realistic and interesting in their operation.

It is more to do with design and execution than how much is built or bought or even how close to scale the track standards are. A "good" OO gauge layout will hold my attention better than a "poor" P4 one.

Now if you ask me to choose between two layouts, both well designed, well made and interesting operationally, one being all RTR and the other all kit/scratchbuilt, then the second one will win every time. If you ask me to choose between two similar standard layouts in OO or EM/P4 then I prefer the finer gauges.

But I agree that shows should have a range of layouts, from the very highest quality built by the top craftspeople in the hobby through to something that beginners can aspire to. As long as both represent the better end of their type rather than the dogs breakfast that gets exhibited rather too often!

All the very best to all RMWebbers for the season. Happy Christmas, Happy New Year and even more so, Happy Modelling for the future.

Last night I finally nailed down a design for my new, minimum space, short train, totally fictional 7mm scale layout. I just know that it won't please everybody but that is not why I am building it. I was inspired by a tiny layout (for 7mm scale) at a recent show and I decided there and then that I wanted something similar as a test bed for modelling in O gauge. So for me, it is New Year, new project.

As it will involve no RTR at all, with everything from the track, signals, scenery, locos and stock being built, I will perhaps post some photos on here as and when there is something to show. That would probably be better than starting my own thread as I am sure they will get seen by more people on this one!

All the very best to everybody

Tony Gee

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 6

I can't offer anything to the fascinating discussion on wagons (although I might be lucky enough to receive some kits tomorrow), nor can I offer any suggestions as to what differentiates an exhibition from a show.

However, I can offer a couple more locomotive builds for Hadley Wood in N Gauge.

post-943-0-57764600-1545652715_thumb.jpg

A couple of J3s that I decided to build, taking advantage of the Peco Collett Spares that became available earlier this year. Both represent Hitchin based locomotives (I've been unable to fit photos of any Kings Cross allocated ones) and have 3D printed, unpowered, chassis as well. The wheels run in Markits 1.5mm 'gearbox' bearings which are held tightly between the frames and keeper plate. Getting sufficient clearances while not compromising dimensions too much was a bit of a challenge but has been achieved on the first one (to become no. 4011).

Power will be provided by heavily modified Union Mills units fitted with Peco wheels and re motored with some 7mm coreless motors to gain sufficient clearance for the, close to scale, wheels.

• Like 15

Exhibitions, like layouts are different things to different people.

I always go to my local excellent Wigan show - never a dud or dull one as far as I'm concerned. I like to see "something new" theme wise and again Wigan never disappoints.

My only (occasional) gripe is that nothing is running. I can accept technical faults, operators in groups talking etc not bothering "to perform" for extended periods (not the odd few minutes) I cannot. Happens not very often, but often enough to mention.

Brit15

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tim,

You make a most-interesting point - I hadn't considered the difference between 'accuracy' and 'enjoyment', though very accurate models can (and should) bring great enjoyment. To be honest with you, I haven't really got a clue whether many of the wagons I've illustrated are 'accurate' or not. I'm sure the LNER CCT is, and probably the six-wheelers. I know Norman Turner builds wonderful wagons, some from scratch, but whether they're accurate for period is a moot point. The (very personal) point is that I have some delightful examples of friends' work on my layout. I'll never dispose of the examples made by deceased friends, nor those made by Norman or Rob Davey. In some ways that sounds a bit sentimental (which I'm usually not), but the 'modelling' with regard to this is more from the heart than the head. 

Whichever way anyone looks at it, I'm a very lucky guy. I have tangible memories of dear, deceased friends, and friends very much alive and kicking can visit and see what they've made for LB, on LB. Anything really 'accurate' is just a bonus.

Regards,

Tony.  

Layout wagons perhaps?

• Like 1

Knowing that the president of this particular thread has a real soft spot for the little blue t**t, I thought it high time the latter appeared on here to wish everybody a peaceful and relaxing Christmas:

attachicon.gifFestive Thomas.JPG

Personally, I don't tolerate tension lock couplings on my Christmas decorations, and were is its Fairy lamps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been enjoying the wagon discussion.  Tony, you could do as the LNER did and convert your 9' cattle wagon to a Conflat?

conflat-v.jpg

I have no idea how far into BR these lasted, but this is Graeme's resin cast D. 108 Container Flat conversion from a cattle wagon intended for use on Grantham as soon as I get my finger out and finish it.   I have scratchbuilt one of these before using the Parkside underfarme bits from a cattle wagon.

For those who say they wouldn't know where to start with a wagon kit, I had this with me at Warley - my younger son built this (under supervision, but he did it) when he was 8. (Edit - I should have said that it's the Dapol one).

16t-fini-zpsoudr1lrl.jpg.

The LNER Quad bolster Andrew has already given you the history for; it's the same vehicle as the Acro kit we talked about some months ago.  Numbers were fairly random in the NER series; Tatlow Vol. 2 has a list.  Parkside do it as a kit and there'll be a list of numbers in their instructions.

quad-zps3b256521.jpg

My bugbear is unchained containers - it's not hard to do and it makes such a difference, even if the rest is pure RTR.

conflat_a_zpsbfc5dfef.jpg

conflat_zps4cca51a9.jpg

Merry Christmas to all and long may the debates continue.

Nice chains J. Can you please remind me what you used for those excellent shackles?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Christmas everyone, it's been fascinating reading every blooming post in this thread over the last year.

It just remains for me to say:

I intend to get steaming this Christmas, well and truly fall off the wagon, and I'm not going to try and keep track of what I've had ;)

• Like 7

Greetings of the Season to all who have contributed to this thread over the years.

It continues to be the most diverse, informative and entertaining thread on RMWeb, thank you to you all.

As the lare DaveAllensaid to close his shows, may your god gowith you.

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

• RMweb Gold

Oi

He comes from Sandy not from the bestest ever town.

Sandy* is the the true capital of Bedfordshire, so much so that Bedford museum took all our Iron age and Roman items so they had something to show.

* it has 3 Iron age hill forts that predate Bedford.

Even the Midland gave up when they got to Bedford and decided the best way into London was the GN.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sandy* is the the true capital of Bedfordshire, so much so that Bedford museum took all our Iron age and Roman items so they had something to show.

* it has 3 Iron age hill forts that predate Bedford.

Even the Midland gave up when they got to Bedford and decided the best way into London was the GN.

And everyone in Sandy can trace their ancestry back to the the three families that occupied the hill forts. :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

Wishing you both a very Merry Christmas!

Thank you for all the support and help over the past year!

Best Wishes

Tom & Lass (woof woof)

post-24300-0-80188100-1545682610_thumb.jpg

(taken this afternoon up and around Semerwater)

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8