Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

40 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Bill knows my prejudices with resins :)

I am slowly coming round though - this is the underframe detail for an ex-GE vehicle.

When I saw the truss rods and other fine detail I instantly started thinking about replacing with brass - but when I had a poke at it I was pleasantly surprised at its strength. I don't suppose it would survive a full blown collision and derailment but then neither could the original.

20220628_220531.jpg.ead40cd0868367f86d871c5babfc172d.jpg

I'm still not totally convinced but getting there...

Good morning Rich,

I built a Mousa Models ex-GNR non-gangwayed Brake Third, writing it up in BRM.

280941578_MousaModelscarriages13.jpg.0d787857b31eab8edb05be996f01ea0a.jpg

As a matter of course, I replaced all the resin trussing/brake rods/step supports with brass. I don't think this constitutes a prejudice, just practical experience taking carriages to operate on large layouts at scores (maybe even hundreds) of shows. On returning and unpacking, any box containing kit-built carriages made with plastic trussing would have bits of that trussing lying in its bottom. In the end, all was replaced with metal.

I think I broke some of the resin trussing supplied with the kit, anyway (not deliberately). 

It still turned out into a really convincing vehicle, a testament to an excellent kit at source.

1507967718_Rollingstock21.jpg.00362bad734fdd89ed2b9b8fa3282c79.jpg

Transfers were very kindly provided by John Isherwood, so that I could finish it in engineering use. 

Then, Richard Wilson weathered it to really bring it to life.........

1700903109_MousaModelsGNRBrakeThird.jpg.c7f4666a09b35379aaeb5265732ce310.jpg

It runs in an engineers' train during LB's sequence, and none of the trussing has ever broken off, despite its being pushed on and off the layout via a cassette.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 19

Juke (Syd) has very kindly donated some RTR OO locos/rolling stock for me to sell on behalf of CRUK. 

I've gone through the items and all are in excellent condition (with one exception, all boxed). I'll be taking them to the Loughborough Show in just under three weeks' time (I usually only sell non-RTR items on here) to sell. 

Out of interest, there are three Hornby Stanier TKs in BR maroon, all in mint/boxed condition. Someone told me these are now hard to obtain. Is this true? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Juke (Syd) has very kindly donated some RTR OO locos/rolling stock for me to sell on behalf of CRUK. 

I've gone through the items and all are in excellent condition (with one exception, all boxed). I'll be taking them to the Loughborough Show in just under three weeks' time (I usually only sell non-RTR items on here) to sell. 

Out of interest, there are three Hornby Stanier TKs in BR maroon, all in mint/boxed condition. Someone told me these are now hard to obtain. Is this true? 

The first releases were mistakenly printed with gold lining not yellow. Not quite as desirable as the later releases. These were correct with a far better livery application.

The Hornby TK's occasionally come up for sale.  The early versions around the £20- £25 mark and the later £25 -£35. I've just notice there's one on ebay at £39.00 but it looks like it's been there for a while. Hope that helps.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Transfers were very kindly provided by John Isherwood .....

He keeps doing this - I told him when I provided them that it was an exception to my rule of NO BESPOKE WORK; but he keeps broadcasting the fact!!

Ah well,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Afternoon Tony,

Not particularly rare and as @davidw says vary between £20 and £40 (though usually sell around the £25 mark). Different story for maroon Bachmann Porthole stock - hard to find and between £50 and £60

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, billbedford said:

Are you saying that the people who assemble RTR models are more skilled that yer average modeller?

What’s an average modeller?

I’d say yes RTR factory assembly workers are probably more skilled than an average modeller. The thousands of RTR items that get sold and work on layouts unmodified, vs kits and modified RTR that we do see, means the average modeller is likely to be someone who uses their models straight from the box on a layout. 
0CD7FE9F-7940-4E2D-A91E-C450A14BE614.jpeg.f47b4404d22aae4eb8922e87db4c4767.jpeg

In this sort of style above. Untouched RTR on a scenic layout.

Anyone whom has opened up some of the contemporary RTR models in any scale will be under no illusions as to the skills the assembly workers have.

Edited by PMP
Spellin add image
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

He keeps doing this - I told him when I provided them that it was an exception to my rule of NO BESPOKE WORK; but he keeps broadcasting the fact!!

Ah well,

John Isherwood.

What am I supposed to do John?

As you know I insist on giving credit where credit is due (I cannot stand 'basking in reflected glory'!). 

All on here know (or should do) that what you did for me was a 'one off' (or a 'two off' with regard to the four-wheeled engineering brake van) and that you have your rule of 'NO BESPOKE WORK'. Knowing that, I'd be surprised if anyone else 'pestered you'. 

In future I shall still issue thanks for the work of others. To not do so is disingenuous. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Being pedantic (what, me?), if they're in BR maroon they'll be SKs.

No doubt they should be John,

However, I was quoting (or paraphrasing) what's on the carriages' boxes - R4235 BR (ex LMS) CORRIDOR 3rd Class Coach 'M 1668 M'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

As you know I insist on giving credit where credit is due (I cannot stand 'basking in reflected glory'!). 

All on here know (or should do) that what you did for me was a 'one off' (or a 'two off' with regard to the four-wheeled engineering brake van) and that you have your rule of 'NO BESPOKE WORK'. Knowing that, I'd be surprised if anyone else 'pestered you'. 

In future I shall still issue thanks for the work of others. To not do so is disingenuous. 

Regards,

Tony. 

What’s the saying…

Damned if you do damned if you don’t………

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Rich,

I built a Mousa Models ex-GNR non-gangwayed Brake Third, writing it up in BRM.

280941578_MousaModelscarriages13.jpg.0d787857b31eab8edb05be996f01ea0a.jpg

As a matter of course, I replaced all the resin trussing/brake rods/step supports with brass. I don't think this constitutes a prejudice, just practical experience taking carriages to operate on large layouts at scores (maybe even hundreds) of shows. On returning and unpacking, any box containing kit-built carriages made with plastic trussing would have bits of that trussing lying in its bottom. In the end, all was replaced with metal.

I think I broke some of the resin trussing supplied with the kit, anyway (not deliberately). 

It still turned out into a really convincing vehicle, a testament to an excellent kit at source.

Transfers were very kindly provided by John Isherwood, so that I could finish it in engineering use. 

Then, Richard Wilson weathered it to really bring it to life.........

1700903109_MousaModelsGNRBrakeThird.jpg.c7f4666a09b35379aaeb5265732ce310.jpg

It runs in an engineers' train during LB's sequence, and none of the trussing has ever broken off, despite its being pushed on and off the layout via a cassette.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Afternoon Tony,

I'm still not 100% converted, but I think I will try one at least. It really is surprising how flexible and tough they are now considering how fine the detail is. I don't plan to exhibit so that's another thing in favour of the resin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

No doubt they should be John,

However, I was quoting (or paraphrasing) what's on the carriages' boxes - R4235 BR (ex LMS) CORRIDOR 3rd Class Coach 'M 1668 M'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hornby tend to do that with BR-liveried ex-Big Four coaches in general. 

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

All this chat about resin printed bodies & their potential frailties makes a chap nervous... but the finished vehicles seen in this thread do look really good.

Having spent what seemed like the national debt of a minor 3rd world nation on a Shapeways Clayton railcar body (which is absolutely gorgeous, by the way), I've been wondering how best to construct the mechanism & interior. To minimise potential damage, I'm minded to construct the floor/chassis/mechanism/interior as one unit, then come up with a way of securing this to the body, which can be painted & glazed before final assembly. Unless, of course, there are better solutions around?

Does anyone have recommendations for suitable adhesives to use with the compound used by Shapeways, by the way? Also, what NOT to use?

There will still be the obvious risk of damage due to handling or - worse - it getting dropped, but that can apply to many models these days.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

No hassle - it was only intended as a friendly 'dig', and a means of reminding those who still ask for bespoke work.

I do appreciate your appreciation - no need to acknowledge it in future, though.

All the best,

John.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 02/08/2022 at 16:00, MarkC said:

All this chat about resin printed bodies & their potential frailties makes a chap nervous... but the finished vehicles seen in this thread do look really good.

Having spent what seemed like the national debt of a minor 3rd world nation on a Shapeways Clayton railcar body (which is absolutely gorgeous, by the way), I've been wondering how best to construct the mechanism & interior. To minimise potential damage, I'm minded to construct the floor/chassis/mechanism/interior as one unit, then come up with a way of securing this to the body, which can be painted & glazed before final assembly. Unless, of course, there are better solutions around?

Does anyone have recommendations for suitable adhesives to use with the compound used by Shapeways, by the way? Also, what NOT to use?

There will still be the obvious risk of damage due to handling or - worse - it getting dropped, but that can apply to many models these days.

Cheers

Mark

Mark

Have a look here for custom drives

https://tramfabriek.nl/products/drives.html

I  saw these yesterday, on a Micro motor thread on here. They look very good , if they fit your model.

No idea of the wheel sizes etc  you need for the Clayton , I presume its the one with the separate artic bunker.  I would fit one in the bunker if the size is right ?.

Or High Level Models may have something suitable.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 minutes ago, micklner said:

Mark

Have a look here for custom drives

https://tramfabriek.nl/products/drives.html

I  saw these yesterday, on a Micro motor thread on here. They look very good , if they fit your model.

No idea of the whhel sizes etc  you need for the Clayton , I presume its the one with the separate artic bunker.  I would fit one in the bunker if the size is right ?.

Or High Level Models may have something suitable.

Hi Mick

Some interesting drives in that link - thank you.

Yes, it's the one with the separate bunker. I've actually got the mechanism sorted out, on paper anyway - one of Chris G's gearboxes & some 3'6" 10 spoke wheels from AG. Wheelbase is 7', so I'll be lazy & use some AG coupling rods too!

I'm more concerned with avoiding damage to the body - avoiding any stress on it is critical, I think.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 5

Check out KMCE on Irish Railway Modeler site. he has built one and has posted picture of the finished build. If you pm,ed him he would probably answer any problems you brought up. He is a very helpful sort of guy.

Hope this helps 

Regards Mick

It's a very interesting discussion of late; that with regard to the 'skill' levels of those who might make/modify things compared with what comes out of the RTR factories.

My take on it is that it requires an enormous amount of skill to even get near current RTR standards, especially with regard to finesse of detail and, particularly, complex liveries. I certainly can't better it (other than in haulage capacity), and a pro' paint finish (Ian Rathbone and/or Geoff Haynes) does give a model a certain 'look'; quite rightly, at a price - often more than a complete RTR equivalent.  

Speaking of Geoff, he brought the famous Barry Norman over to see LB this afternoon, along with two other friends. We all agreed there was something 'special' (not better) in seeing a model where most things on it had been made (not just locos and stock), rather than a collection of the latest RTR/RTP wonderments. The layout and everything on it worked perfectly (phew!), though I, as usual, cocked up the operation. No matter, I live with that. 

I think a figure of 80%+ of the modelling fraternity is about right with regard those who buy things, just open the boxes and plonk them on the track or on the board. If that's the demographic, so be it, and it means that the demand for the highest RTR standards has raised those standards. 

Whatever the percentage, I still prefer to see something which has been made (even if it might be inferior to something straight out-of-the-box). That was the feeling of the friends operating LB today. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

IF it is the case (and I don't say that it is so) that those in a factory assembling RTR models each have only a limited range of tasks to perform repeatedly, thus tending to become very adept at those particular functions, how can their skill levels be compared with those of a highly self-reliant modeller who has to (or who chooses to) deal with everything that needs doing, no matter what it might be? Can a highly honed narrow range of skills be said to better, or poorer, than a wide range of less perfectly honed skills?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

No hassle - it was only intended as a friendly 'dig', and a means of reminding those who still ask for bespoke work.

I do appreciate your appreciation - no need to acknowledge it in future, though.

All the best,

John.

Perhaps Tony could refer to you in code; how about "He who must not be named?" 🤣

• Funny 8

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Perhaps Tony could refer to you in code; how about "He who must not be named?" 🤣

Amusing Brian,

Though I'll not thank John (in any form) again if the occasion crops up. I'll respect his wishes, though he knows that my appreciation of what he's produced for me is still present, and always will be.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier................ In answer to a Barry Norman 'challenge' this afternoon, Geoff Haynes reversed a full-length (13 car) rake, propelled by an A1 all the way around Little Bytham; not at going-forward pace, but certainly not at a crawl. No buffer-locking, no derailments and everything silky-smooth. I've never tried it before, only the Sprat & Winkle-fitted freights going in reverse as required. It's something the late Roy Jackson used to do on Retford, though that's a much bigger trainset. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

13 minutes ago, gr.king said:

IF it is the case (and I don't say that it is so) that those in a factory assembling RTR models each have only a limited range of tasks to perform repeatedly, thus tending to become very adept at those particular functions, how can their skill levels be compared with those of a highly self-reliant modeller who has to (or who chooses to) deal with everything that needs doing, no matter what it might be? Can a highly honed narrow range of skills be said to better, or poorer, than a wide range of less perfectly honed skills?

Or, to take that train of thought to the limit. A colleague of mine applied for a job with Rolls Royce. He was offered the job but turned it down. He would have spent most of his time working on one part of one type of engine. His comment was that they wanted a clever cabbage. He was much happier in a general workshop environment.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2