That first picture is a stunner, but the lorry looks a little bit too green.....

The last one is great too, and not a train in sight - don't think we've seen that view before?

Just another job on the list - weathering my road vehicle collection

The view I agree is a first as I don't recall seeing 'white' in the tunnel before, another job to do - no wonder layouts are never finished, always something on list eh!

• Like 3

Hi Mike

I see you must had a similar problem as I did. I wanted a medium powered loco and a 4MT 2-6-0 would fit the bill, but which one to buy, the Ivatt or the BR standard. :dontknow: So I left the shop with both. :imsohappy:

Then went back a few weeks later and came home with a 4-6-0 4MT as well. :swoon:

Now that's what I call a PROPPER MODELLER, .................COMMITTED to the Cause, hhahahhhahheeee :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I got around quite a bit in those days but the sad thing is I never really had a decent camera back then. Whether I worked at Glasgow Works, Derby Loco' Works or Toton TMD all my 'free passes' were made out between Inverness and Penzance! I got stopped the the barrier at Norwich once with the comment 'your on the wrong side of the country with this lad' I replied 'I'm going the long way round' he laughed, shook his head and waved me through result! The only other worry was the physical size of the free pass when you did get over zealous guards with a clipper! 

On top of free passes and privilege tickets I also drove to several spots and as stated earlier was lucky to have a lorry driving uncle, I doubt in today's demanding time any of the above would be possible apart from the car.

My first pass was from Bristol to Inverness - I started at Reading, thence to Bristol, Bristol to Carlisle by the Midland Railway route throughout, Carlisle - Inverness then back to Euston on the sleeper (which got diverted over the S&C and turned right at Hellifield due to a derailment at, I think, Tebay, and finally Paddington Reading.

The amusing bit - and relevant to your thread was that the Ticket Snapper who came through south of Derby told me to change there for Crewe but the next time he came through was well onto the S&C (around Garsdale) and he not only remembered me but asked - in a friendly but puzzled fashion - why I was still on the train and I explained that I would be changing at Carlisle, he laughed.

In later years one of my Signalmen used to normally get two free passes at a time - one from Carbis Bay to Achnasheen and another from somewhere in deepest Kent to a station on the Blaenau Festiniog branch.  Our Admin Asst reckoned this chap was on thee fiddle and refused to allow the tickets when he got to hear of but I overruled him and told him it was absolutely legitimate (which it was) and I was quite sure that nothing unusual was going on - which you have clearly proved to be the case ;)

PS a car weathering tip from Chris Nevard - give the vehicle a going over with Dulcote, make a really big difference.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Afternoon Mike,

Just playing catch up so apologies for all the ratings - another fine set of images thank you. I see myself standing on the platform at Kilmarnock, ticking off the names of the rebuilt Scots in my Observers book of the time. Got to choose one to rename a static exhibit which is currently '6100'!

These passes that you and the Stationmaster have been discussing were apparently quite flexible as I recall that my Dad actually moved the family from Hurlford, South to Essex, well after having left the railway service - knowing him, it would have been a case of pure 'brass neck'!

Whilst you are on, I wonder if you might suggest a number for a Type2 class25(1 or 2) [possibly from your shed]which would have been likely to land at Hurlford for some light engineering work in the late fifties/early sixties as I have he original Hornby one, virtually unused although getting on for forty years old (definitely needs detail!). if so, do you think it would yet be fitted with the tablet catcher, and would Hurlford keep some oil and fuel handy in the shed yard. I might have to make this a fictio otherwise, but it would be a waste not to use it!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Sorry Jock, there were no Class 25's allocated in Scotland up to the end of steam which is where my records end, several Class 24's were allocated to Eastfield, Haymarket and Inverness and some of those were fitted with a tablet catcher, most probably the Inverness bunch (D5114-D5132 - look for photo evidence) Now as they were almost identical to the early 25's having route indicator boxes you may get away with it if you want a tablet catcher type. Otherwise there are several 25's allocated around Kingmoor, Holbeck or Preston area which would no doubt have headed up the G&SWR at some time or other.
Oil and fuel would have always been on hand if they only had a few diesel shunters to maintain. Hope that helps, let me know if you want a specific loco as the 25's allocations are very random.
Hope this helps.

Hi Mike

There was a batch of class 25s with the revised body, which were allocated to Scotland. They had the recess for the tablet catcher. They didn't stay too long, they were sent south in a swap for the English class 27s.

Hi Clive,

I'm pretty sure they are the D5114-D5132 batch.

edit to add: I'm also sure they received the twin headlamps - yes 'car sealed beam headlamps' in the connection doors for working the remote areas in order to spot any landslips etc. this would be around 1970ish.

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I'm pretty sure they are the D5114-D5132 batch.

edit to add: I'm also sure they received the twin headlamps - yes 'car sealed beam headlamps' in the connection doors for working the remote areas in order to spot any landslips etc. this would be around 1970ish.

Hi Mike

D5114-D5132 were the Inverness based locos for the Highland Lines. The batch I was on about were D7611 to D7623 which were allocated to Eastfield when new. Other Scottish class 25s include D7598-D7601.

Hi Mike

D5114-D5132 were the Inverness based locos for the Highland Lines. The batch I was on about were D7611 to D7623 which were allocated to Eastfield when new. Other Scottish class 25s include D7598-D7601.

Hi Clive,

I never bothered looking at the later batch as Jock asked for late 50's early 60's era. I remember well the arrival of these to Eastfield and Haymarket in my youthful escapades bunking both regularly! Eastfield was difficult if taking the official entrance so subterfuge was regularly called for. The batch of 24's D5000-D5019 were also allocated to Eastfield I think to replace the self-combusting NB class 21's.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

Quite a few 24s climbed over the wall, mainly ex ER locos from Finsbury Park, March, Ipswich and Stratford from 1965 onwards, numbers D5050 to 56, D5061 to 72 and the two Cricklewood locos D5094&5.

In later years there was quite a bit of swapping of 24s between the ScR and LMR.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Some pics from the Great Central at Loughborough today Mike.

attachicon.gifGCR with Jeff 002.JPG

attachicon.gifGCR with Jeff 003.JPG

attachicon.gifGCR with Jeff 005.JPG

attachicon.gifGCR with Jeff 010.JPG

attachicon.gifGCR with Jeff 017.JPG

attachicon.gifGCR with Jeff 020.JPG

I hope you don't mind them on here Mike. I can always remove them if you wish.

Mind them!!!!! More like love them mate, thanks for that . At first I thought Pencarne had been changed again  :jester:

Hi guys,

Spoke with 'Andrew P' today on the phone and sadly not at the GCR following a mention on the Pencarne thread that Dent would be having a MAJOR change in the next week or so, Andy could not restrain himself and phoned to get the low-down but I remained tight lipped so he asked if I was announcing it on the thread to get you all guessing, well here is the announcement: "There will be a MAJOR change on Dent in the next week or so" - GUESS WHAT IT WILL BE!  :angel:

If anyone gets it I will say who when I show the job done just to keep you guessing  :stinker:

Today I addressed the light seepage from the new platform lamps, I found they were bleeding red through the plasticard housing which on the railway would have been a definite no! Therefore I cut small brass side covers and glued them over, much better. Pic's tomorrow.

• Like 4

Cheers Mike,

''A'' for liking my pics

and

''B'' for giving us a chance to Guess your changes.

Well he said MAJOR, so here goes my first two penneth.

Dent will lose its underneath Fiddle Yard and Helix's, and end up going all around the Room and forming Kirkby Stephen and a New Fiddle yard on the other side of the Shed.

• Like 3

Cheers Mike,

''A'' for liking my pics

and

''B'' for giving us a chance to Guess your changes.

Well he said MAJOR, so here goes my first two penneth.

Dent will lose its underneath Fiddle Yard and Helix's, and end up going all around the Room and forming Kirkby Stephen and a New Fiddle yard on the other side of the Shed.

I really don't like the helix idea - do I.

• Like 5

OR

thinking OUTSIDE the box, how about if Mike was to do away with his Helexiations and take the track around the room forming a looped 8 on the other side of the room and therefore retaining the original fiddle yard. That way he could have almost 100 ft of plain track running through open countryside and some stunning scenery. It would be mostly on a very slight graidient but there could be room for a Station on the Level about the middle somewhere.

Any money for my guesses Mike? hhahhaha :no:  :danced:  :danced:  :D  :D  :shout:  :shout: :sarcastic:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  

• Like 3

OR You could rip it all up and do something like this, Go to Cab Ride 6. CHECK OUT 19 Min in to see the true enormity of this Layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77911-north-east-model-railway-trenholme-junction/page-12

I reckon he's going to paint everything Brunswick Green!

Naaa Network South East

Edited by Andrew P

OR

thinking OUTSIDE the box, how about if Mike was to do away with his Helexiations and take the track around the room forming a looped 8 on the other side of the room and therefore retaining the original fiddle yard. That way he could have almost 100 ft of plain track running through open countryside and some stunning scenery. It would be mostly on a very slight graidient but there could be room for a Station on the Level about the middle somewhere.

Any money for my guesses Mike? hhahhaha  

It was all looking plausible until the blue writing spoiled it! :nono:

I reckon Andy has it!!

I don't see you changing to an all diesel powered layout so my thoughts are that helix(ice?) will go.

I think you have far too much stock to do any gauge changing or anything like that! Neither would you adopt a non-British approach (traction tyres or multi locos) so here we go;

Sell your shed layout and fill the entire area with S&C stuff - moderate gradients or flat track and do a Jeff with some MAJOR fell work!

Cheers,

John.

Edited by Allegheny1600