Hi Mike

Two interesting sets of pictures... the latest action through Dent and your Easter modelling projects.

The wagon loads look really good when you've added the timbers, ropes a chains to hold them in place.

Can't remember  - is the ADB stationary boiler a Class 15 or 16? I'm sure I read somewhere that one of those classes were tested over the S&C in the 1960s?

Good to see someone else making use of the long weekend to get to grips with outstanding modelling jobs. I've spent 4 days weathering locos, stock, and building kits - and still haven't done half of what I had planned.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Mike

Two interesting sets of pictures... the latest action through Dent and your Easter modelling projects.

The wagon loads look really good when you've added the timbers, ropes a chains to hold them in place.

Can't remember  - is the ADB stationary boiler a Class 15 or 16? I'm sure I read somewhere that one of those classes were tested over the S&C in the 1960s?

Good to see someone else making use of the long weekend to get to grips with outstanding modelling jobs. I've spent 4 days weathering locos, stock, and building kits - and still haven't done half of what I had planned.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Indeed, one 'Class 15' was tested when they were introduced, if I searched it out I could even give you the number but.............I don't have any knowledge of the NBL Class 16's having been tested but I would not be surprised if they were delivered from Glasgow over this route when new.

Its unbelievable how long these 'little' jobs take which is probably the reason they are postponed time and time again.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Indeed, one 'Class 15' was tested when they were introduced, if I searched it out I could even give you the number but.............I don't have any knowledge of the NBL Class 16's having been tested but I would not be surprised if they were delivered from Glasgow over this route when new.

Its unbelievable how long these 'little' jobs take which is probably the reason they are postponed time and time again.

Hi Alan and Mike

D8200 was the BTH Type 1 that was tested on the S&C, 1958ish when new.

The train heating units built from the Class 15s were for heating electric heated coaches using the diesel powered generator where there was no shore supply for the trains. They were never fitted with any means of heating water apart form that in the radiators, so why do enthusiast and some railway authors call them train heating boilers? The traction motor cables were cut so that they could not be used as locomotives and had to be propelled or hauled from one set of coaches to the next. I cannot understand why Heljan have made a model of one that moves, when it shouldn't. I have never seen a photo of one being used in anger, they always seem to be shunted out the way. Where they used, the two at Colchester didn't move for years, in fact one was cut up where it stood?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Alan and Mike

D8200 was the BTH Type 1 that was tested on the S&C, 1958ish when new.

The train heating units built from the Class 15s were for heating electric heated coaches using the diesel powered generator where there was no shore supply for the trains. They were never fitted with any means of heating water apart form that in the radiators, so why do enthusiast and some railway authors call them train heating boilers? The traction motor cables were cut so that they could not be used as locomotives and had to be propelled or hauled from one set of coaches to the next. I cannot understand why Heljan have made a model of one that moves, when it shouldn't. I have never seen a photo of one being used in anger, they always seem to be shunted out the way. Where they used, the two at Colchester didn't move for years, in fact one was cut up where it stood?

Hi Clive,

Highly informative, I had no idea they only powered ETH systems, now what piece of knowledge has been lost whilst replacing it with that little gem!

At Eastfield MPD in the winter of 1967/68 when all steam was banned from the ScR from 31st Dec 1967 I saw a plume of steam down the line at the carriage sidings near Cowlairs and went to investigate, it turned out to be BR 2-6-4T 80002 (now preserved) it was chained and welded to the rails and all un-necessary controls such as brake etc were removed to prevent use as a shunting loco, worst thing to come was my mate and I got mugged, beat-up by the brave ten of them and camera and watch stolen to boot. We went to the police station and they drove us around in a panda car where we spotted one toe-rag, he gave up and spilled the beans and we got our stuff back, every time I see 80002 I have PTSD! :angel:

• Like 1

Hi Mike and Clive

Thanks for the information about heating units - and sorry to hear about your experience in Glasgow Mike. Sadly my own worst moment train spotting was also in Glasgow. I'd had a final Class 101 ride from Central to Wifflet, then spent a hour on the station watching the comings and goings via Mossend in company with another enthusiast who'd turned up to take a few photos. A small gang appeared from the flats behing the station and started using us for target practise with an air rifle!

Re heating units - was it a similar story for the last surviving/running 43xxx 2-6-0? I think I remember photos of it in the north west on carriage heating duties but not sure if it was mobile under it's own power at the time?

Alan

Edited by 60091

Hi Mike and Clive

Thanks for the information about heating units - and sorry to hear about your experience in Glasgow Mike. Sadly my own worst moment train spotting was also in Glasgow. I'd had a final Class 101 ride from Central to Wifflet, then spent a hour on the station watching the comings and goings via Mossend in company with another enthusiast who'd turned up to take a few photos. A small gang appeared from the flats behing the station and started using us for target practise with an air rifle!

Re heating units - was it a similar story for the last surviving/running 43xxx 2-6-0? I think I remember photos of it in the north west on carriage heating duties but not sure if it was mobile under it's own power at the time?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Good old Glasgow eh!? In all my spotting trips and laterally photo only trips since taking up the hobby I was only accosted twice, Glasgow as described in 1968 and at Saltley, Birmingham under the railway bridge by four toss-pots, I summoned up my best Glaswegian accent placed my camera bag on the ground and shouted out a well worn Glasgow chant "Come-on ya Bass", I had no choice other than to stand my ground and following a short skirmish they gave up - thankfully, looking back it could have been much worse.

I seem to recall something about the Ivatt's on carriage heating duties, Preston comes to mind but could not confirm this I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a supplier of etched brass Black 5 bogie frames or similar, now I have Gibson wheels on I'm a bit reluctant to chop off the protrusion.

Comet do them, mostly fold-up for OO. I stick with the Hornby bar rather than using the Comet one.

Think I might do some of mine, it looks much better.

• RMweb Premium

What I've done with mine is to cut down the springs you get with Smiths 3 link couplings and slip them over the bolt between the actuating arm and the bogie to keep them under tension, as they are pretty light. I'm still to add a bit of weight to them but they have worked fine so far (on Bacup, Kirkby Luneside and of course, Dent).

They really do improve the front end massively as the Hornby bogies are a solid lump of nastiness and to get rid of the coupling housing takes a lot of hacking and filing - I did so on my 8F and it took ages. Oh, I also chemically blackened mine so that if (when) the paint chips off, you aren't left with shiny brass glaring through.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and with your new drive to improve your Fives, does this mean that you will be taking a pin vice and scalpel to them to remove that horrendous lump under the smokebox and the ridiculous shelf off the tender? Neither are difficult to do but transform them.

I'll try and find the notes and photos I did when I hacked mine about.

Thanks Jason for the info and Andy for the humour!

Look forward to seeing your photos & notes in due course Jason, mind you, you could always call in on your way home and put me on the right track :senile: Haven't seen you for ages - anywhere!

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying some modellers license to Dent by way of adding a new feature to break up the length, it may not be prototypical but when complete I think it will blend in nicely once the roadway over the top and embankments from the field give a new and different aspect to photograph, below is the general look which if you can imagine a road running onward may give you the idea

post-5296-0-66322800-1459488493_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-05371700-1459488499_thumb.jpg

Admittedly the bridge structure has just been plonked in place but already you can see the potential for some new angles etc.

NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO   NO  NO  NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:   :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Do I make my thoughts clear mate, Clive is right, the Fell looks RIGHT, Please don't spoil it.

• RMweb Premium

Nice bridge ;)

Mike, I would love to pop round to visit and help with the Black Fives. Not sure when I am staying over next but will keep you posted

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying some modellers license to Dent by way of adding a new feature to break up the length, it may not be prototypical but when complete I think it will blend in nicely once the roadway over the top and embankments from the field give a new and different aspect to photograph, below is the general look which if you can imagine a road running onward may give you the idea

attachicon.gif2016-03-31 20.33.27.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-03-31 20.34.12.jpg

Admittedly the bridge structure has just been plonked in place but already you can see the potential for some new angles etc.

Hi Mike

Another thought about your proposal. The Lambretta getting up the hill was more realistic than a bridge from nowhere.

NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO   NO  NO  NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:   :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

Do I make my thoughts clear mate, Clive is right, the Fell looks RIGHT, Please don't spoil it.

Hi Bodge

oh!!!!! poo I think we have been caught.... :jester:

• Funny 1

Hi Mike

Another thought about your proposal. The Lambretta getting up the hill was more realistic than a bridge from nowhere.

Hi Bodge

oh!!!!! poo I think we have been caught.... :jester:

I cant believe I've been caught with that old trick. REVENGE WILL BE SWEET.