Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

First one (10001) delivered 21/3/59 to Dorman Long Lackenby Steel works

I can't give a pic of 10001 but here is similar S10075 with S10041 awaiting scrap at Lackenby in the seventies (my slide records claim 1974).  DL used the digits of the works number following the zeros as running numbers.

post-13358-0-47414800-1432583698_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Les

• Like 4

Forgot to add, it was a 4w same as the Hornby model

The side rod version wasn't introduced until 1961.

Another bit of info I just noticed the Sentinel sword on the radiator grill was replaced by a RR badge on locomotives made from 1964.

Having trudged through all 34 pages and quite a lot of informative history and great modelling (with a heavy bias to repainting) ...

I have seen nothing about fitting the recommended (Hornby) decoder - just a "simple" plug and play following a not so simple dismantling? Nor could I see any comment on the performance under that decoder?

Having trudged through all 34 pages and quite a lot of informative history and great modelling (with a heavy bias to repainting) ...

I have seen nothing about fitting the recommended (Hornby) decoder - just a "simple" plug and play following a not so simple dismantling? Nor could I see any comment on the performance under that decoder?

Can't comment on the Hornby decoder but I have fitted a hard wired TCS M1 decoder all fitted in fine and the little unit performs really well one thing that surprises is the hauling capacity, it has the occasional hesitation on Peco dead frog points but no issues when running through live frogs.

I have a train of 34 Bachmann BR 16 ton mineral wagons and the Sentinel will haul the lot with a van and shunters truck included.

See the video of it flying round the club layout with from memory 27 wagons this was the limit going up the Helix between levels

It is running on DCC. This number of wagons stopped my Hornby 28xx 2-8-0 on the helix.

Link to video

https://youtu.be/3soRojfjsHQ"]https://youtu.be/3soRojfjsHQ

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Can't comment on the Hornby decoder

Thanks, and I had previously noted the hard wiring of a Lenz silver way back near the first posts on this topic. However, I am neither interested in hard wiring or alternative decoders but very specifically in the decoder specified by Hornby for this model. Like most models I found it more than a simple task to get in to fix the pickup issue that seems to have aflicted most of them - the thought of going back in to fit the decoder is not something I am looking forward to. I have the "official" decoder in the post, so came back to this topic for guidance and comments - still surprised than none have been made. Frankly I do not see why folk make the decision to install a different decoder than specified, unless the one specified doesn't work of course but then I'd expect an explanation.

The recommended decoder does the job well enough, it's seen a fair amount of usage on BCB.

However I did choose to hardwire it and get rid of the socket just to clear space in the cab. The decoder now (just about) fits under the control panel in the cab.

Inside_2s.jpg

Dash_s.jpg

Inside_s.jpg

• Like 8

I have the "official" decoder in the post, so came back to this topic for guidance and comments - still surprised than none have been made. Frankly I do not see why folk make the decision to install a different decoder than specified, unless the one specified doesn't work of course but then I'd expect an explanation.

Way down in OZ we haven't seen the specific Hornby decoder in any shops, only decoders that are Hornby genuine DCC items are the sapphire unit for larger Hornby models or the Hornby basic 8 pin plugin both twice the price of better TCS or Lenz units down under so I couldn't justify for any of my own models

However having installed several of the Hornby 8 pin units for Customers (customer supplied) and set up & tuned the decoder settings, the general performance is short of other main stream brand decoders in the same models most noticeable is the noise from the motors and starting control.

My Decoder brand choice for the Sentinel. TCS

TCS decoder why! Best warranty on the market plus, "Goof Proof warranty" they call it, Also personal service is super, direct from TCS.

Also as I have TCS decoders as stock no waiting on a order for the Hornby genuine item to arrive if it ever did I orderd a 14xx wheel set for a customer model a year ago and still waiting!

Plus DCC installs are what I do so I went for the TCS in the sentinel as the most user friendly to fit. whilst it is a remove the factory wires and fit the TCS harnes (hard wired) the decoder has a plug so can be swaped out if failed but don't expect any issues

Getting the model in peices is not hard just a little Fiddley hand rails wires are the most Fiddley but with care they come off and it all went back together A OK.

Will be interesting to see the Hornby decoder in the model I usually photograph my installs but forgot on the Sentinel as rushed into it, so I could take it to the club layout the same day I got it.

This may promp some of the others on this thread to post some photos of their installs

Will have to strip it down in the future and fit lights as the decoder has lighting function outputs so will do photos then.

• RMweb Gold

I fitted the Hornby one and it was easy enough to dismantle but fitting the wires in around it to get the desk to sit down fully so you can get the cab seated is fiddly as the space is so tight. It works fine though if it does stall turn the speed down to 0 before prodding it or it hares off at full tilt! That must be the chip somehow getting confused because it happened on a NCE and a friends Prodigy controllers but not on my Z21.

One thing we noted and Dunsignalling commented on is after an hour or so of shunting it can get a bit sticky and a run round or quick burst on the rolling road seems to restore it back to sweet running, this may be dirt on the pickups so I'll look back at that pickup issue you mentioned.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

The recommended decoder does the job well enough, it's seen a fair amount of usage on BCB.

Thanks Andy, just what I wanted to hear - some reassurance.

I fitted the Hornby one and it was easy enough to dismantle but fitting the wires in around it to get the desk to sit down fully so you can get the cab seated is fiddly as the space is so tight. It works fine though if it does stall turn the speed down to 0 before prodding it or it hares off at full tilt! That must be the chip somehow getting confused because it happened on a NCE and a friends Prodigy controllers but not on my Z21.

One thing we noted and Dunsignalling commented on is after an hour or so of shunting it can get a bit sticky and a run round or quick burst on the rolling road seems to restore it back to sweet running, this may be dirt on the pickups so I'll look back at that pickup issue you mentioned.

Paul, thanks for the additional information. It is a Prodigy/Bachmann controller here, so useful heads up. The pickups just didn't seem to have enough spring in them to press on the wheels and they were really dirty fresh out of the box. I am afraid I am another one of those who believe when a RTR manufacturer claims DCC ready it should be a designed in plug and play that can be achieved without having to risk destroying the model. I had my suspicion that my purchase was a returned resale but it is now more than adequate for the job on DC.

[Ed] Oh, and I have to add my voice to those who are praising Hornby for this model. I do not get tempted to buy RTR very often but this was a must have. As for DCC I not really an advocate and certainly have no interest in lights or sound. But sort of "need" a couple of locos to run t the SECAG meet and this seemed a quick option to convert.

Edited by Kenton

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kenton,

One of mine is chipped just as Hornby intended. The chip works perfectly well on our club layout with a cheap Bachmann DCC controller. It took about 20 mins to do, the hardest parts was getting the screws out of the body/chasssis, over tightened was an understatement. Making all the wire fit was interesting as well.

Good luck.

Owen

• Like 1

Mine is a very poor runner with the Hornby decoder (even after adjusting the pick-ups). Snipping the capacitor off and adding a vanilla Bachmann decoder improved running but still not as well as I'd like.

I decided that it was due to all the grease that was on it (out of the box) as this seemed to be working its way down to the pickups. I've stripped the whole thing down and de-greased it with a view to a re-paint and re-assembly. Watch this space...

Guy

• Informative/Useful 1

Anybody any news as to when the side rod version is due to appear? Cute though the present one may be, I am waiting for the side rod one as my kids do prefere the ones with the flailing outside rods (if the 08s are anything to go by).

ng trudged through all 34 pages and quite a lot of informative history and great modelling (with a heavy bias to repainting) ...

Probably because there isn't much else to do to it other than repainting, it's a pretty accurate model of a prototype which didn't change much over the years.

I wonder how much each of those hoppers is carrying? A bit more than 25 tons, I suspect.

They were rated at 45 tons Brian but, as internal user wagons, who knows what liberties were taken.

Edit;

Here's one, look at the depth of the solebars;

post-6861-0-84833000-1433155361.jpg

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

Anybody any news as to when the side rod version is due to appear? Cute though the present one may be, I am waiting for the side rod one as my kids do prefere the ones with the flailing outside rods (if the 08s are anything to go by).

I'm very much looking forward to that version too. Just check the Hornby Site and they have been put back to 18/08/2015 and the 'Balfour Betty' one 11/08/2015, subject to change. Though I sure hope they done arrive around that week or the week before, as I will be away!  :O

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...