Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

The other alternative to Johnson klear is humbrol clear which I've just used on mine and a luggage van and must say I'm impressed and may replace my usual method of varnish for fixing glazing and nameplates. It was even resistant to a solvent wash afterwards.

I'd recommend 'canopy glue' - Formula 560 is the stuff I use - it's a bit like PVA, only better.

The other alternative to Johnson klear is humbrol clear which I've just used on mine and a luggage van and must say I'm impressed and may replace my usual method of varnish for fixing glazing and nameplates. It was even resistant to a solvent wash afterwards.

Thanks for the answers chaps I may give it a go this week end.

Gordon A

Bristol

Oh, so what? We've finally got a reasonable representation of an industrial diesel in several variations and all we can do is grumble about what blummin' colour it is! If it offends you that much get your paints out and change it... as many people have done with the chain drives on this thread already. At least it's in an authentic livery, even if it's not one in ran in while in commercial use.

It seems a sensible choice to me- appeals to the (generally younger) audience who like to run a "preserved" railway scene (usually as an excuse for a variety of regions, eras and liveries- any why not), the "I've seen this one" and the "it looks pretty" collectors, and the "generic industrial to shunt my indeterminate industry" modellers. All of the chain drive releases were clearly tied in to a specific industry which would have excluded the latter market- I've not seen many models of the Cattedown bitumen wharf for example. 

Edited by brianthesnail96

Its just a shame she never carried that livery in industry

Paul A

Of course, there's nothing stopping NVR hiring one out to industry in theory, and nothing stopped the "industrial" (i.e. preserved) Dapol Sentinel from selling out. I suppose the last releases had standard Sentinel colours so one could backdate,too. But agreed, the wasp stripes are perhaps less plausible for an earlier "might have been". This would be less likely in a more "mainline" release.

I still think Barabel is a good choice some of us expressed that we would prefer a model without owner branding. I don't want a NCB loco working in a cement works so Hornby have done one along those lines. Some etched girlie nameplates and bobs your auntie you have non de script industrial. (It would have to loose the wasp strips though) Got to be easier than Gladys and her sisters.

Img_1890_zps507a8bc9.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, so what? We've finally got a reasonable representation of an industrial diesel in several variations and all we can do is grumble about what blummin' colour it is! If it offends you that much get your paints out and change it... as many people have done with the chain drives on this thread already.  

Yes that's right, see my post #740 on this very thread. :)

Paul A. 

• Like 1

Yes that's right, see my post #740 on this very thread. :)

Paul A. 

And a cracker it is too Paul- more evidence for my arguments though :P

Don't get me wrong- I'm all for industrials in proper liveries, but any industrial is better than none, and the only way we'll get more is if the existing ones sell well... and the wider the range of potential buyers there are the better the chances that they will.

The "serious" industrial modellers will buy one regardless ;)

Don't get me wrong- I'm all for industrials in proper liveries, but any industrial is better than none, and the only way we'll get more is if the existing ones sell well... and the wider the range of potential buyers there are the better the chances that they will.

The "serious" industrial modellers will buy one regardless ;)

Oh, that's all right then. :secret:

Surely it's better to recruit the "non-serious" industrial modellers (NI!NI!NI! :jester: ) with the base Sentinel livery or something that lasted a while? Wouldn't something that didn't need to get resprayed get more sales?

As you say, anything is good - but why this concentration on later/preserved stuff? Does the "support for modellers" not get this far?

• Like 1

I hope Hornby produces a 0-6-0 Sentinel as this would complement the 0-4-0 and offer a range more possabilities from Cornish China Clay to The Underground!

Hope springs eternal, but in the meantime I'll be scraping off "Tarmac" and adding LT transfers to mine. (While offering due sacrifices to the Dark God, Hell D'Jann, for a nice Ruston or Fowler :) )

• Like 2

Oh, so what? We've finally got a reasonable representation of an industrial diesel in several variations and all we can do is grumble about what blummin' colour it is! If it offends you that much get your paints out and change it... as many people have done with the chain drives on this thread already. At least it's in an authentic livery, even if it's not one in ran in while in commercial use.

I agree that is nice to see the model produced and personally believe that a plain green livery as delivered from Sentinel would have made a good choice along with a plain Yellow!

The livery choice for Barbel in my opinion would have been better had they chosen the Oxford Ironstone Company livery rather than the hybrid livery it now has!

However had Hornby chosen to do such a livery on an 08 then it would have caused outrage by the Modelling Taliban!

Mark Saunders

I wasn't going to buy a sentinel, but couldn't resist one for around £35 on Hornby's Black Friday sale. What a cracking little loco it is.

I look forward to a rod drive version, perhaps to be redone in the Oxfordshire Ironstone / BSC livery as suggested above.

http://www.nvr.org.uk/oxfordshire-ironstone-company

page_banner%252Foic01.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• RMweb Premium

I'm not so bothered about livery, but I am interested to know how they are going to change them for the rod drive.

Will it literally be a motor bogie change, or will they modifiy the buffer beam so it has the correct cut out at the bottom corners ?

Owen

I'm not so bothered about livery, but I am interested to know how they are going to change them for the rod drive.

Will it literally be a motor bogie change, or will they modifiy the buffer beam so it has the correct cut out at the bottom corners ?

Owen

Using the zoom function on these pictures of the original release R3179 and the new R3354, it looks like the bufferbeam has been modified:

http://www.Hornby.com/esso-bitumen-plymouth-4wdm-sentinel-industrial-shunter.html

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/diesel-electric-locomotives-packs/barabel-0-4-0-sentinel.html

• RMweb Premium

Are there any other differences between the chain and crank driven loco's.

Obviously the crank rods and the bufferbeams,but were all the other differences under the skin ??

Thanks

Owen

Are there any other differences between the chain and crank driven loco's.

Obviously the crank rods and the bufferbeams,but were all the other differences under the skin ??

Thanks

Owen

The rod version had 6 inch less wheelbase and was 6 inch wider across the running plate.

The rod version had 6 inch less wheelbase and was 6 inch wider across the running plate.

So the question is, do you think Hornby would be bothered enough to alter the tooling for what some may see as "Unnoticeable"?

Edited by TTAMTWASOOC

So the question is, do you think Hornby would be bothered enough to alter the tooling for what some may see as "Unnoticeable"?

I would be hard pressed to see the 2 mm difference in wheelbase. The running plate 1mm each side does give a ledge below the side sheet, but at 50 odd quid I wouldn't feel hard done by.

That's the beauty of Model Railways the art of compromise, which ones can you live with and which ones you can change?

Mark Saunders

Absolutely - but I have a love/hate thing with the attitude to industrials/minor railway/earlier pre-grouping (perhaps LT?). I like that there's more perceived space to compromise, but it rankles when The Mainstream goes into paroxysms of rage over a couple of mm., but it's ok here (or with, say US HO steam). It's a scar to scratch. :dontknow:

Back to the plot: could the chassis be used for anything else?