Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

Perhaps the chassis has been developed to allow it's use in three car units.  Like a Class 116.

Hopefully.

Isn't someone else doing the 116/117?

EDIT - yes, of course it was Kernow/Bachmann for the 117.

I really don't think even with three of four cars in plan, that the amount of power that all-wheel drive will deliver is needed on the 122. Looks like thay scaled up their N gauge design.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, looks like I'd better be adding some thing on there as there's already one piece of nonsense been spluttered on headcodes and stuff on the blinds in the Gloucester cars.  I haven't got a clue about the fonts but what was on the blinds was absolutely logical and didn't involve any stupidity about Xs or any such anachronistic nonsense.  Usual story - I do wish people wouldn't spout off about stuff they don't understand and set hares running after their red herrings (how to mix metaphors in one easy lesson).

Dapol are aware of several decoration issues with this one; the green should be darker

The green looks rather good to me. I remember the malachite becoming 'bleached', to an attractive pastel shade, quite quickly after a year or so in service.

Hate those Lima seam welds on the roof though! (Why do manufacturers do this on 4mm roofs? It's mad.)

Completely agree with Chris Higgs about the travesty of the drive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, looks like I'd better be adding some thing on there as there's already one piece of nonsense been spluttered on headcodes and stuff on the blinds in the Gloucester cars.  I haven't got a clue about the fonts but what was on the blinds was absolutely logical and didn't involve any stupidity about Xs or any such anachronistic nonsense.  Usual story - I do wish people wouldn't spout off about stuff they don't understand and set hares running after their red herrings (how to mix metaphors in one easy lesson).

There were a few ficticious names on at least one DMU blind in BR days. When WMPTE were trying to decide on what services to re-introduce or extend I remember one set running around with 'Woodgate Valley' on the blind. I don't know whether they realised Dowery Dell viaduct had gone over 10 years earlier or if they were going to come via Halesowen.

• RMweb Gold

There were a few ficticious names on at least one DMU blind in BR days. When WMPTE were trying to decide on what services to re-introduce or extend I remember one set running around with 'Woodgate Valley' on the blind. I don't know whether they realised Dowery Dell viaduct had gone over 10 years earlier or if they were going to come via Halesowen.

The Pressed Steel SPUs also had an interesting selection of place names on their destination blinds - several of which were closed before they were delivered.

\

Incidentally I have duly visited the Dapol Digest and put them right regarding the headcode letters and, in so far as I can, the numerals (and yes, of course I've quoted dates ;) ).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Another subtle difference is that the cab window surrounds look to be polished metal on the 121s, whereas they are painted in body colour (green) on the 122s.

The Pressed Steel window design was different to the Gloucester. The Pressed Steel was a brushed aluminium flat-faced bolection. The Gloucester was a very thin rim.

Its a great shame thay have gone for the raised floor interior on a vehicle where the inside is so easily viewed from ever angle, I feel that even painting the floor a darker colour will not  adequately disguise this.

There I was hoping this would do for single car DMUs what Dapol have done for the Western. 

Why do they insist on having both tail lamps switched on on blue and blue/grey models?

They should only have one or the other on, in fact a lot of locos had a 3 position switch- drivers side, off, second man side so it wasnt possible to have both on.

The red does look nice and dim though.

I'm looking at a photo of a 101 at Grantham in 1983 with both red lamps on.

• RMweb Premium

for any scottish units, iain logan's 'electric soup' has printable destinations for 4mm scale, both in the older 'british railways' and newer 'corporate' typefaces:

http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/modelrail/free.html

railcar also has lists of actual destination blinds from various areas and eras:

http://www.railcar.co.uk/topic/destination-blinds/

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Thinner, much thinner, please.  (I doubt the original plate was much over 1/8".)

attachicon.gifcl122-frontplate.jpg

When I'm making these I only ever use thin writing paper, they never have ended up as thick as that example. You are quite right, in that the prototype was a very thin piece of sheet  metal.

Regards,

Rob.

P.S. And to state again that the lining out is much too thick and wrongly shaped.

• RMweb Premium

With regards to the destinations it has to be said that Hornby are also not blame-free.  Marlowe and Southhall should both have been spotted early enough for correction; only the former can be easily (and almost invisibly) dealt with by a black pen.

• Like 1

My final video from Warley, featuring the Dapol Stand, during the National Model Railway Exhibition 2016.
As well as demonstrations, on display was a large number of up and coming and prototypes, in N, 00 and 0 Guage, including the up and coming GWR Streamlined Railcars, BR Class 121 and 122, Class 59, plus the up and coming class 68's.
There was also a running sample of the eagerly anticipated Dapol Black Label Gresley A4 Pacifics.
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUm9R5zFNg

• RMweb Premium

Not sufficiently impressed by what I've seen here of the Dapol ones to invest.  They are probably an improvement on the old Hornby model but with a fleet of those already it will take something very good indeed to part my credit card from its wallet for what would be a one-for-one replacement.

Not sufficiently impressed by what I've seen here of the Dapol ones to invest.  They are probably an improvement on the old Hornby model but with a fleet of those already it will take something very good indeed to part my credit card from its wallet for what would be a one-for-one replacement.

They are definitely an improvement on the old Limby model - they look to be the right shape for a start!

• RMweb Premium

A lot of comments here about the style and content of the headcodes. At least the 4mm Class 122 has the headcode boxes which are noticeably absent on the N gauge version. It must be a case of 'in this small scale no-one will notice' syndrome . . .

David

• RMweb Gold

A lot of comments here about the style and content of the headcodes. At least the 4mm Class 122 has the headcode boxes which are noticeably absent on the N gauge version. It must be a case of 'in this small scale no-one will notice' syndrome . . .

David

They look to have the small headcode boxes to me. Where are you seeing them with no box?

Roy

• RMweb Premium

They look to have the small headcode boxes to me. Where are you seeing them with no box?

Roy

Have a look here:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/91684/Dapol_ND210D_Class_122_Railcar_W55003_BR_Green_with_Small_Yellow_Panels_Dummy_/StockDetail.aspx

No sign of a 2-character headcode box. They weren't plated over until the 1970s. The 122s preceded the 121s and 2-character boxes were the norm. The 121s gained a 4-character box as, by then, that was the standard.

David

• RMweb Gold

Have a look here:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/91684/Dapol_ND210D_Class_122_Railcar_W55003_BR_Green_with_Small_Yellow_Panels_Dummy_/StockDetail.aspx

No sign of a 2-character headcode box. They weren't plated over until the 1970s. The 122s preceded the 121s and 2-character boxes were the norm. The 121s gained a 4-character box as, by then, that was the standard.

David

The photo in your link is of the N scale model.

The photos of the OO models of W55000 and SC55007 in green both show the 2-character headcode fitting. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The photo in your link is of the N scale model.

The photos of the OO models of W55000 and SC55007 in green both show the 2-character headcode fitting. 

John

Yes, but post #324 specifically mentions the head code fitting being missed from the N scale models, so it's logical that David links to a photo of the N scale model.