Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

'rolling stock recognition 3: DMUs' (marsden/ ian allan, 1st. ed. 1981) has a pic on p.68 of blue/grey DTS W56286 leading the white/blue DMBS

a pic on p.70 has blue/grey DMBS W55022 with a white/blue cl.117 TCL and DMS

if you want to go overboard, there was a pic in the morrison DMU book of 4 cl.121 DMBS with a cl.117 TCL in the middle - all in NSE!

(can't find the book to check the details)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Agreed.  Towards the end almost anything which was fit for service would be coupled and used.  Two bubblecars flanking a trailer was unusual but by no means unheard of and that goes for b/g days as well.  One bubblecar replacing a "normal" class 117 driving vehicle was almost an hourly occurrence on the Thames Valley with one or two sets semi-permanently so formed at times.

The 2-car class 104 sets which migrated south and gained NSE livery were however kept as pairs and not mixed with other stock though when shortages arose they would be taken off their rostered Gospel Oak - Barking duties and used to replace a 3-car 117 (often on a Slough stopper as that kept them near London and with familiar crews) while a bubblecar (which was woefully inadequate alone as cover for a 3-car roster) was sent to cover the Barking duty or - as often as not - it was cancelled altogether.

Glad they've clarified the NSE liveries.  I've changed to the original one as it will definitely fit into my era. 

There don't seem to be that many pictures of 121s in the original NSE.  Here's two I've found, both 55022 that Dapol/Hatton's will be doing:

http://martianphotography.smugmug.com/RecentImages/1980s-New-Scans/27070783_Z2pBhR#!i=2284858538&k=qs8dgvP

8042939789_eda7bb1af8_c.jpg

BR Class 121 "Bubble Car" W55022, in NSE colours, near Acton on 16th. May 1988. by Crewcastrian, on Flickr

Can someone clarify...the two different NSE liveries...I don't recall seeing any EMUs in the 'revised' livery. Is that the case? I only recall the original 'upswept' one on EMUs. So when did the revised NSE livery first appear? And was it only applied to diesel locos and DMUs?

Network SouthEast as first applied consisted of the upswept stripes livery with a light blue.  From late 1987, the blue was made darker as the light blue looked washed out; locos were given the revised livery which eliminated the upswept stripes.  Most DMUs and EMUs retained the upswept stripe livery (but changed from light blue to dark blue), originally being applied with a sharp angle and then changed to a curve.  The 121s received the revised livery without upswept stripes and I can't think of any other DMU that did.

Comparsion here with upswept stripes and revised:

6285806144_e47f96e3fa_z.jpg
121xxx Reading 91 by jonf45, on Flickr

Curved upsweep:

243404754_bb0b60cb0d_z.jpg?zz=1
Network SouthEast lives! by Elsie esq., on Flickr

Angular upsweep:

8347463680_88d345e746_z.jpg
Two EMU Liveries at Cannon Street (1) - 23 August 1986 by John Oram, on Flickr

For one final variation, some locos received the revised style livery but initially retained the light blue, one being 50027 "Lion":

5671770377_f87d355cb5_z.jpg
50027 "Lion" by GB56134, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It would have been a nice bous item if produced as announced, but I'm not that bothered about it and so have cancelled my pre-order today.

I'm sure there will still be some spare available on release if I still want one, without the bother of just over a ton randomly disappearing from my bank account for something I may have forgotten I'd ordered 3 or 4 years previously...

Edited by Bert Cheese