Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

The samples looked impressive.  A Dapol rep said they were not that far away, hopefully late Autumn of this year, and thee are more announcements to come.

24802346029_630592e64d.jpg122b by robfrowen, on Flickr

24539367064_39af0bf843.jpg122a by robfrowen, on Flickr

The 121 samples should be hopefully ready by the Alexandra Palace show.

This is really good news. I had almost given up hope on the 122 (see post #184 et seq).

• RMweb Gold

The work does include headlamp less ones so the one on the right blink out the headlamp and its good for many early ones, just needs the combined exhaust arrangement and the most original version is possible. Double pipe will allow anything from green small panel upward really . Who will be first to do a 131 ?

Robert   

• RMweb Premium

That's good news, as I'm certainly interested in a Class 122. But sorry Dapol I shan't be buying anything until there is positive feedback in terms of quality control, electrics etc. I'm afraid the Class 73 has put me off pre-ordering anything from Dapol again.

Dapol had kept the '00' gauge 121/122 project under wraps for the last six months, since Bachmann announced their intention to produce the 121 and 117. It's good to see that they are prepared to go 'head to head' and in the intervening period, they have progressed to tooling. I've just added to my single 121 and single 122 order with a second 121 in BR green. My 121 trailer car conversion will at last be pulled by something. I'm waiting to see if they do develop the underfloor twin bogie drive that was part of the original spec

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The work does include headlamp less ones so the one on the right blink out the headlamp and its good for many early ones, just needs the combined exhaust arrangement and the most original version is possible. Double pipe will allow anything from green small panel upward really . Who will be first to do a 131 ?

Robert   

I sincerely hope they also get the door hinges right - unlike the N gauge versions!  And of course the early ones also had a 2 character route/class code indicator.

That's good news, as I'm certainly interested in a Class 122. But sorry Dapol I shan't be buying anything until there is positive feedback in terms of quality control, electrics etc. I'm afraid the Class 73 has put me off pre-ordering anything from Dapol again.

Perhaps some balance please? I do not see how or why the perceived and long reported issues you claim of the 73 have anything to do with an entirely different project, under circumstances none of us are aware of. Perhaps rather than your negativity, if you want to see a 'perfect' Class 122 you are proactive in giving constructive comment on the EP samples directly to Dapol. Perhaps you can do some enjoyable and interesting research on the Class 122 and present your findings to Dapol in order to only make the model more enjoyable for all.

I do not ever expect everyone to be academic and do their own research before they contact a manufacturer, but I would hope we remind ourselves this is only a model and perhaps we need to keep negativity to ourselves. Please. I am very tired of it all.

This is the Class 121/122 thread, and should keep to that. For now, the samples seen look superb, it has inspired me to pre-order one of the exclusive Chiltern 121s with eHatton at good price, if you have some particular concern on the shown samples I am sure Dapol would be very keen to hear from an expert modeller.

Perhaps some balance please? I do not see how or why the perceived and long reported issues you claim of the 73 have anything to do with an entirely different project, under circumstances none of us are aware of. Perhaps rather than your negativity, if you want to see a 'perfect' Class 122 you are proactive in giving constructive comment on the EP samples directly to Dapol. Perhaps you can do some enjoyable and interesting research on the Class 122 and present your findings to Dapol in order to only make the model more enjoyable for all.

I do not ever expect everyone to be academic and do their own research before they contact a manufacturer, but I would hope we remind ourselves this is only a model and perhaps we need to keep negativity to ourselves. Please. I am very tired of it all.

This is the Class 121/122 thread, and should keep to that. For now, the samples seen look superb, it has inspired me to pre-order one of the exclusive Chiltern 121s with eHatton at good price, if you have some particular concern on the shown samples I am sure Dapol would be very keen to hear from an expert modeller.

Fully agree with what's been said.... And thanks for the info about a Chiltern one, I never knew there was one :)

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, but recent history has shown that initial releases of new diesel models have been prone to problems with build quality control, PCBs and the like, which have been discussed on other threads and have nothing to do with the body tooling which looks impressive at this stage. I can speak from personal experience with the Class 22, Western and Class 73. Commendably Dapol has taken action and later releases have been corrected.

All I am saying is that I hope Dapol gets these issues right first time with the Class 121/122s, but that I'm not willing to cough up the hard earned until feedback on the actual models confirms they're ok in these respects. I consider that a perfectly reasonable comment to make on this thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but recent history has shown that initial releases of new diesel models have been prone to problems with build quality control, PCBs and the like, which have been discussed on other threads and have nothing to do with the body tooling which looks impressive at this stage. I can speak from personal experience with the Class 22, Western and Class 73. Commendably Dapol has taken action and later releases have been corrected.

All I am saying is that I hope Dapol gets these issues right first time with the Class 121/122s, but that I'm not willing to cough up the hard earned until feedback on the actual models confirms they're ok in these respects. I consider that a perfectly reasonable comment to make on this thread.

Judging by the EP samples shown the version I will want (one in original condition) will be some way down the batting order so that might help get any potential bugs ironed out.  However in any case my information is that Dapol are now using a number of different factories so the situation with one model might not apply to others which are made elsewhere - it would then depend on just how reliable each particular factory happens to be (or not be).

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't think there's much balance in your comments above. The problems with the Class 73 have cast serious doubt about Dapol's ability to control what it gets from the factories in China, and that will apply to the railcars just as much as it did to the Class 73. I will also be deciding whether to buy the railcars once I see the reviews. And as for contacting Dapol with feedback - it's hard enough trying to just buy something from them, sometimes!

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the EP samples shown the version I will want (one in original condition) will be some way down the batting order so that might help get any potential bugs ironed out.  However in any case my information is that Dapol are now using a number of different factories so the situation with one model might not apply to others which are made elsewhere - it would then depend on just how reliable each particular factory happens to be (or not be).

Mike, see my post #204 above - August/September is the latest estimate from Liverpool (or is it Warrington now?).

Dapol had kept the '00' gauge 121/122 project under wraps for the last six months, since Bachmann announced their intention to produce the 121 and 117. It's good to see that they are prepared to go 'head to head' and in the intervening period, they have progressed to tooling. I've just added to my single 121 and single 122 order with a second 121 in BR green. My 121 trailer car conversion will at last be pulled by something. I'm waiting to see if they do develop the underfloor twin bogie drive that was part of the original spec

Had a long talk with one of the guys on the Dapol stand, who was responsible for the 121/122 development, and even got to look at it up close. It does look very nice. The drive was a floor mounted central motor with drive to both axles on both bogies. The motor and drive to the bogies was hidden under the seating moulding, similar to the Replica driven chassis. The detail was very nice, the speedo drive was fitted between the bogie and body and was of a fine flexible plastic that moved with the bogie when it turned. They seem to be making an effort with this model as he was very interested in comments made about the model and already had a few tweaks to make to the prototype on display. I shall be looking forward to seeing the finished models. He hoped to have finished models ready for Warley.

Paul J.

(Edited to correct some very bad grammar)

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 2

Consumers have a right to be cautious, the reasons are valid. If you don't have those same concerns then that is your right just as it is our right to be cautious. I have also been put off by the 73, living overseas, posting things back and forth gets expensive for errors that can be avoided.  

liken it to food poisoning, many are reluctant to eat that item again or at least for a long time and there is no relation between what was eaten and what will be eaten. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought the Bachmann one is still a few years away. They have a huge backlog to get through , so unless this has jumped the queue , it must still be sometime off. Frankly they shouldn't continue with the duplication and work on the 116 variant which seems to have sunk without trace.

Glad to see that the 121 and 122 are both still on the cards. I'd like one of each. I think some healthy competition between two large manufacturers will only be good for consumers too. 

I do hope however that we don't have a repeat of the Class 73 in terms of quality control. 

Edited by sub39h

Here's one I made earlier!

Converted from Lima 117 bodies some 6 or 7 years ago. Recently upgraded using a Hornby chassis.

Undoubtedly the Dapol model will knock spots off of it but I doubt I'll change it.

Great to see more models becoming available though.

Terry

'Earl's Court' Model Railway

ecmr.webs.com

post-18114-0-44016000-1456612008_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I think some healthy competition between two large manufacturers will only be good for consumers too. 

if only because it stops people announcing stuff and then sitting on it for years doing nothing.  :yes:

I think the Class 122 looks great, although aren't the roof ribs a bit prominent? (I think we have been here before with Mk1 roofs). 

And I think it is valid to be cautious about how the mechanics will be. Dapol have a track record (more than just one model) of things that looked better than they ran.

Chris

if only because it stops people announcing stuff and then sitting on it for years doing nothing.  :yes:

I think the Class 122 looks great, although aren't the roof ribs a bit prominent? (I think we have been here before with Mk1 roofs). 

And I think it is valid to be cautious about how the mechanics will be. Dapol have a track record (more than just one model) of things that looked better than they ran.

Chris

I beg to differ. My blue Class 22 runs better than it looks.