Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

the three cl.131 converts were 55013-15 (not 11-13 mentioned in the scot-rail link above)

as mentioned they had doors sealed/modified and windows either painted out or meshed over inside

55014 http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/6132770705/in/set-72157603648796702

i wonder if an alternative number would be better for the blue ScR one, i.e. one which wasn't modified?

excellent news anyway, will be looking forward to seeing one tacked onto a 3-car 101 on waverley west!

Have I missed something here ? Why is everyone clambering for these Dapol ones  :huh: have you looked on ebay there are loads of the Hornby ones come on there now !!! I can't understand why ?  :fool:

In the hope that it overcomes the shortcomings of the Limby version perchance?

Just been on eHattons and ordered six different versions, not quite sure how that happened!  :angel:

Guest jim s-w
In the hope that it overcomes the shortcomings of the Limby version perchance?

Do people know what those shortcomings actually are?

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jim - probably more a case of Dapol being able to bring us a more refined power unit as well as greater (and probably more accurate) detail in all the mouldings.  I realise you're quite a fan of the Lima and of the cut-and-shut style of build-your-own but we're not all quite up there with you yet ;)

I have a respectable fleet of the Hornby ones.  They aren't likely to be cast aside any time soon.  But they do suffer from issues (none of which is insuperable by a skilled modeller) ranging from chunky wheels to imbalance between bogies and a tendency to behave as a push-me-pull-you when in multiple which can cause derailments.  

I have however taken the opportunity to order a pair in a livery which is not represented in my present first-generation dmmu fleet.  

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Hi Rick

I have no doubt that the Dapol one will be better but of all the old Lima models the Bubble car isnt all that bad. There were a lot of improvements over the previous 117 put in when they did it and while its most certainly not perfect I wonder if the Dapol one is going to be enough of a step up?

Bit like the Hornby 08 really. No question that its better than the Bachmann one but its not better enough to render the Bachmann one completely obsolete.

Cheers

Jim

The Lima 121 then the Hornby one, had a few errors, mainly the narrow headcode box, Lumps for roof vents, Incorrect bogies as well as no "Brake end" cab because of the motor arrangement, as well the Exhasusts could be more rounded instead of the "Squared off look" they have where they clear the headcode box, and with the underframe some components; battery box, engine ( to name some) are underscale, as with my old Regional Railways 117 I detailed back on the old RMweb all this was apprent when rebuilding the underframe

NL

Will Boxshifters Pandora feature the track camera, spot lights, modified exhausts, & Pandora name in the Headcode box or have they just chosen the Railtrack Blue/Green Livery and the extras have to be purchased as a kit from a 3rd Party?

Just want to know as may change my order or not, if Dave or someone could please let me know thanks?

Seeing as Hattons are doing both original and revised NSE, am I right in thinking that the revised livery would have been used more widespread, especially following the end of NSE? I am sure I sure a bubble in this livery on the Looe branch but can't remember what version it would have been.

• RMweb Premium

NSE-liveried DMU sets appeared throughout Cornwall.  All those I recall were in the later version.  The redistribution of those vehicles came about because London gained the class 165/166 Turbos rendering the 117/121 vehicles, plus the residual 101/104 cars which had been drafted in over the years, spare in that area.  Some went west.  Class 101 units worked the Cornish branches in NSE livery until the very end of the type.  It seems perfectly reasonable to have had a 121 in NSE on the Looe branch though I never saw that myself.  I also have no record of sighting early NSE livery in Cornwall other than loco-hauled Mk1 rakes on summer Saturdays

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Having notices that both Hattons and Kernow have commissioned various departmental versions of these units (class 960) suitable for the Railtrack / Network Rail era, I was wondering if anyone can advise as to how extensive their geographical operation was in the recent past.  I'm assuming that since they seem to have been based at Aylesbury, they have primarily been used for sandite / route learning / video survey duties in the south of England, in which case justifying one on a Scottish layout in 2007 would be difficult?

Regards

David

Having notices that both Hattons and Kernow have commissioned various departmental versions of these units (class 960) suitable for the Railtrack / Network Rail era, I was wondering if anyone can advise as to how extensive their geographical operation was in the recent past.  I'm assuming that since they seem to have been based at Aylesbury, they have primarily been used for sandite / route learning / video survey duties in the south of England, in which case justifying one on a Scottish layout in 2007 would be difficult?

Regards

David

None of the Aylesbury based stuff got that far afield! Lots of odd places, but not over the border.

Roger,

Thanks for that.  I guess that I wont be adding one of these to my wish list then, as trips north of the border must have been very rare.  I've only found one reference to 960011 making it into Scotland in 2001 /02 on a video survey. 

(see http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+122 - half way down the page, "A former Class 121 Pressed Steel single-car 960011 (vehicle 977859) in Railtrack livery visited Scotland in 2001 and 2002, while in use as a video survey unit.")

Since Wikipedia indicates that the two Network Rail Yellow versions went into store in December 2007, my best excuse for buying one of these would probably be to imagine instead of being stored, they were transferred north of the border, although I'm not sure why.  By then, I think all sandite duties would be covered by a MPV and video surveys would be undertaken by the class 950.

Regards

David

Well the Railtrack, Network Rail & also Loadhaul Bubble cars have definitely been across to East Yorkshire in the past 5-6 years. Especially into Hull & probably on the Hull to Beverly line, this was when the NR & RT was were out based at RTC Derby.

• RMweb Gold

the blue chiltern bubblecar is running up and down between birmingham and crewe for the next couple of weeks road learning, a good excuse to model it out of its normal geographic area

0BCF0D8D-7A3F-4604-8995-DED3A7A655CD-204

managed to grab a shot of it in stafford this morning after getting updates from control as to where it was!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

W55034 was the only class 121 power car painted in that livery, a class 121 driving trailer was also painted to match, W56283. No class 122's ran in that livery.

I remember seeing this pair on the Slough - Windsor & Eton Central branch.

XF