Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

The 'oo' gauge Class 121 and 122 models are not yet available and there is some doubt that they are going to be, as when I enquired I was advised that the Dapol md, Joel Bright, won't release info about their intentions with these models, presumably because of the Bachmann Class 121 and 117 announcement. I'm hoping they do go ahead as it looks like Dapol are developing an under floor drive system for the GWR railcar, which was promised also for the 121/122. I think the Model Railways Direct sale only applies to the Dapol 'n' gauge versions, the 'oo' ones are showing as 'pre order'

It's definitely the 4mm product code... 

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Dapol-4D-015-003-Class-122-55012-Regional-Railways/

Picture does look like the N-gauge version though.

Edited by sub39h

It's definitely the 4mm product code... 

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Dapol-4D-015-003-Class-122-55012-Regional-Railways/

Picture does look like the N-gauge version though.

It's not in their current sale, it's shown as a new release with a date tba. The price is their 20% off Dapol recommended price, which is the same for all the 'oo' gauge 121/122s

• RMweb Gold

Ok, but my question still stands - are they definitely coming and does anyone have any pictures of them?

.....surely the only people who can answer your questions are Dapol......... and we know how keen Dapol are to answer questions which they don't want to answer...

Keith

Ok, but my question still stands - are they definitely coming and does anyone have any pictures of them?

As I said in my first reply, we don't know if they are definitely coming as Dapol will not confirm, at the moment, if they are going to go ahead with them. I was advised by their sales manager that the m d had put an embargo on releasing information about their intentions with these models.

• RMweb Premium

I have a 122 on order from a well-known retailer. I am trying to decide whether to:

a - use the Craftsman conversion kit in my spares box to convert my Hornby
121;

b - order a Bachmann 121 and use the Craftsman kit to convert that;

c - wait for a future Bachmann 122; or

d - sit tight and wait for the Dapol 122.

Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I'm not holding my breath over Bachmann 122s.  So far they've only offered the 121 and that may be 18 - 24 months away, possibly more.

I'm not very happy with Dapol's 73 though their 22 and 52 (which were developed by Dave Jones whereas the 73 was not) are better so my jury is out on whether to chance any more of their products.

If you want a 122 in a shorter timeframe this postcard would suggest the Hornby conversion.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not holding my breath over Bachmann 122s.  So far they've only offered the 121 and that may be 18 - 24 months away, possibly more.

I'm not very happy with Dapol's 73 though their 22 and 52 (which were developed by Dave Jones whereas the 73 was not) so my jury is out on whether to chance any more of their products.

If you want a 122 in a shorter timeframe this postcard would suggest the Hornby conversion.

Thanks Rick. The Hornby conversion was on the books long before the Dapol model was announced. It's not top of my list of things to do (building points is - two yesterday and one so far today) but my likely course of action is to do the Hornby conversion and if in the fullness of time a Dapol or Bachmann version appears then that can take its place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Noted this over on a prototype thread, looks like good progress on the 121 & 122. Whether it is first shots or first EP I hope someone can confirm who was there.

Good to see this is going ahead, as the liveries and detailing differences between the 121 and 122, make the original Dapol announcement over the Bachmann one far more attractive.

No doubt more information in Dapol's post show press release?

post-17016-0-75073100-1455982797.jpeg

• Like 2

Noted this over on a prototype thread, looks like good progress on the 121 & 122. Whether it is first shots or first EP I hope someone can confirm who was there.

Good to see this is going ahead, as the liveries and detailing differences between the 121 and 122, make the original Dapol announcement over the Bachmann one far more attractive.

No doubt more information in Dapol's post show press release?

post-17016-0-75073100-1455982797.jpeg

Oooo...The Class 121/122!! Glad they've not dropped it. Will be buying one of each.

• Like 1

Would anyone has a photo of specifically the 121/122 and know did Dapol say are they first shot or first EP? I am really pleased to see this advance.

Wonder are all the LTD liveries with eHattons still confirmed to be produced? (I think the pre-order prices are going to prove utter bargain prices!) http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000396/1000588/1000673/0/Dapol_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_DMUs/prodlist.aspx

Though I was after the Network Rail 122 with Kernow (which is now cancelled, as reported a few years ago), perhaps someone can do this along with the SWT route learner 121?

• RMweb Gold

The samples looked impressive.  A Dapol rep said they were not that far away, hopefully late Autumn of this year, and thee are more announcements to come.

24802346029_630592e64d.jpg122b by robfrowen, on Flickr

24539367064_39af0bf843.jpg122a by robfrowen, on Flickr

The 121 samples should be hopefully ready by the Alexandra Palace show.

But what are these?  Somewhat peculiar looking they seem to actually be some of the latterday route learning car variants with modified bodywork etc rather than the original branch line cars.  Did they say anything about doing one in original condition or even one in the condition in which they later ran in passenger service prior to reconditioning changes?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But what are these?  Somewhat peculiar looking they seem to actually be some of the latterday route learning car variants with modified bodywork etc rather than the original branch line cars.  Did they say anything about doing one in original condition or even one in the condition in which they later ran in passenger service prior to reconditioning changes?

Agreed Mike. That was my first thought looking at the front light and pipes.

Kind regards,

Nick.

They did say they were doing several variants including as orginally built with two-digit headcode and that they had identified several differences - I can't remember them I am afraid, but one might have been brake compartments.

Edited by Meld9003

• RMweb Gold

Yes, they said yesterday that they were looking at as many variants as possible.

There are plenty to choose from, Sandite cars, Route Learners and the Scottish region parcels conversions just off the top of my head.

I rather like the sound of "further announcements" - might we at last get a Swindon Cross Country (Cl.120) set..........

John

• Like 1