RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Got the P2 in workshop having firmwear looked at if that don't work looks like a new motor

like what Mike did . Not Hornby bashing but got better Rail Road loco than this thing

only good bit is TTS. And good job it as it  mutes the c.r.a.py noise it makes.

I can find no mention about the weathered TTS-edition from Rails of Sheffield or is that in another topic?:

https://railsofsheffield.com/lner-2-8-2-cock-o-the-north-p2-class-locomotive-with-tts-sound-weathered--JJJA28747.aspx

Mine arrived this afternoon and I think the weathering is not bad at all:

http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php/topic,36295.8010.htm

Pictures in post #8012.

No idea if it's the 2015 or the previous version.

Leen.

It's probably fair to say that the P2s would never have been turned out in less than excellent condition - in those days the LNER was awash with cleaners and big green engines were expected to be kept clean.

Lots of dirt was actually a hallmark of WW2, and the early days of BR into the diesel era

They were not always as pristine as seen in some photos. This was one of Hornby's pre release publicity photos, possibly taken after a long run. The marks on the bottom of the smoke box certainly show some spillage. I think most of the weathering Olivias have done isn't too bad, though the sides did tended to be kept very clean. There is also a photo in the David Hey collection showing the sides of the smoke deflector with some tarnishing around the bottom of the smoke deflectors. One thing I have noticed though is that the buffer fronts were kept very clean on the loco, no build up of grease on them.

Around the cylinders, wheels and in hard to reach parts there is an argument for some dirt to be added, but perhaps with the method of spraying on dirt, leaving it a couple of minutes and then wiping off with a cotton bud to give the feel of having been cleaned off with a cloth, but gives a little building up on details, particularly the rivets.

HornbyP2Proto3.jpg

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

No. The Railroad version with simplified lining and the "posh" R3207 had no sound, and R3246TTS had Hornby TTS sound.

The ones with sound that are now being advertised by Hattons and others as well as the weathered one from Rails are the TTS sound version.

The sound is OK but it lacks synchronisation.

Leen.

Edited by 3737

I can find no mention about the weathered TTS-edition from Rails of Sheffield or is that in another topic?:

https://railsofsheffield.com/lner-2-8-2-cock-o-the-north-p2-class-locomotive-with-tts-sound-weathered--JJJA28747.aspx

Mine arrived this afternoon and I think the weathering is not bad at all:

http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php/topic,36295.8010.htm

Pictures in post #8012.

No idea if it's the 2015 or the previous version.

Leen.

here's a couple of pics of my P2 which has been professionly weathered by Steve at Grimy Times in Warrington.

IMG_4816_zps8c8051cc.jpg

IMG_4819_zps18a921ea.jpg

Edited by w4rrn
  • Like 10

Yes, great photos indeed, and a nice weathering job.

Mine is a tad heavier and I'm not too convinced about the weathering on the cylinders.

Leen.

In my many years of looking at real steam railway locos from the early 50s., as well as countless photos, I think that there are and were many engines with grime and dirt which would never be believed on a model.

I think w4rrn's weathered P2 is right on the money for general looks and the condensation or water effect on the cylinder is absolutely 'right'.  The hardest thing, the 'rightness' of weathering, it being subject to lighting, viewing distance, photography and so on.

As with effects of smoke, in the real world it was often a nuisance, obscuring an engine or train, such as with cylinder cocks on starting with cold cylinders, but the great photographers new how to use wind direction, angle-of-light and choice of location so on to achieve superb photos. Maybe just after a permanent way slack, for instance.

Steve at Grimy Times did a weathering great job on the P2, I think the current Rails offering is nice too, even if it might benefit from a little retouching here and there.

The few photos around of everyday working P2s show considerable grime, sometimes with cursory cleaning of cab side and some other parts, visible ash deposits below smokebox door, water-streaking from weather and condensation and speed, all lovely stuff to my eye, as are some pristine engines with just a touch of work grime around them.

The Hornby P2 is a vastly under-rated model and the weathered TTS version is in my opinion a bargain. 

Here are two of my edited pics of a pristine model.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page-25?p=2085974

• Like 3

Here is the Rails weathered version, I have added a vignette effect but otherwise it is as advertised.   No connection with them , although I have bought a few models off them.

I think I will darken the handrails, add steps and cylinder pipes etc and then just admire it!   :)

edit; maybe some streaks of moisture here and there, darken the tender-front, real coal, straighten those lamp irons, and anything else which comes up....  I have no interest in the sound, or maybe it is ok for low speeds?  I do have a DCC controller.

post-7929-0-31984500-1447199099_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Some lovely weathered P2's there.

More often than not the engines were in dirty condition, and I have some in the P2 archive that show them really dirty. Some will be in the new P2 book published next year in conjunction with the Trust.

Andy

On the subject of weathering I spent a long time looking at pics of the autumn days of steam before weathering this B17.

My father recalled them in those days trundling in and out of Liverpool St. and told me that it was spot on for a loco in the early days of dieselisation

post-10395-0-62034500-1448986910_thumb.jpg

There are plenty of pics of locos in just as bad condition, even A4s working on the Waverley Route.

In LNER days there were much fewer really grubby engines as they had cleaners aplenty

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

P2 C.O.C.K O THE NORTH is now out of Doncaster Works having had a refit in the form of

a new 5 pole screw X9108 motor . The P2 now runs how it should have done like a dream.

Hooked her up to a rake of 8 Pullmans & pulled with ease would not have pulled them with

original motor, I might now even put C.o.c.k. O The North on test to see if she can match

my Bachmann Tornado and pull a rake 17 coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

P2 C.O.C.K O THE NORTH is now out of Doncaster Works having had a refit in the form of

a new 5 pole screw X9108 motor . The P2 now runs how it should have done like a dream.

Hooked her up to a rake of 8 Pullmans & pulled with ease would not have pulled them with

original motor, I might now even put C.o.c.k. O The North on test to see if she can match

my Bachmann Tornado and pull a rake 17 coaches.

Is the X9108 a simple swap or are other adjustments required?