If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

Andy

Hi will get use to new layout some good new features, but could I ask if my items on the old site will be transferred or are we looking at a new start?

Items on the old site will not be automatically transferred but there are ways of doing it yourself - please take time to read the Forum Help topics and the how-to guides, all these kind of questions (and Bertiedog's) are dealt with in there.

Nobody has 'lost' any content from the old site. It will be archived and available to view

via links from here if you want to put that in your posts rather than transfer across.

Many members seem to be settling in quickly, others less quickly. To the latter may I please echo Andy's request (made here and over there in the 'Forthcoming Changes' topic) to read around first and explore the site before posting on here just to say it doesn't work for them.

• RMweb Gold
or is there a place where all replies are shown and recorded as before?

Hi Stephen,

Click the link labelled "Active Content" near the top right, or use this link: http://www.rmweb.co....earch&do=active

Then click the lower line of tabs -- Forums tab for active content in the forums, Blogs tab for active content in the blogs, Galleries tab for active content in the Photo Galleries.

You can set the time period for recent active content in a drop-down box at the bottom right of the page.

Alternatively you can click the "View New Content" link instead. This lists everything which you haven't yet read, regardless of the time period.

regards,

Martin.

Sorry this appeared to be all moans, I had tried repeatedly to post today to thank Andy, but it completely refused to post.

Not too good on the health front as well today, visit to hospital and operation yesterday did me no good at all, so was not able to keep up with the situation as well as I should have.

I know that Chrome does not support the transfers from the old forum, but I tried Firefox and I can't sign in on it, but presume just a glitch at present.

I suspect the best thing is simply to start again, I did save all the entries as text files, and I will sort out the motor and gearbox postings, as well as the point motors.

I am still deeply unsure that if I post as a topic in an area, it will be read by anybody as the latest posting etc, or does it remain "confined" in a topic? or do I start a new "blog"(I don't know how yet), on the old subjects, or should the "blogs" be restricted to layouts and workbench matters.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea of the photo gallery - I hated the slow downloading ( even on broadband ) of those image intensive threads on the old RMweb.

Need to get used to the new style and I hope that this uploads a bit faster on my "thin client" terminal at work!

Good job, Andy!:icon_thumbsup2:

Oh and files of up to 2 megabytes allowed to be attached!!!:icon_wow:

• RMweb Gold
I am still deeply unsure that if I post as a topic in an area, it will be read by anybody as the latest posting etc, or does it remain "confined" in a topic? or do I start a new "blog"(I don't know how yet), on the old subjects, or should the "blogs" be restricted to layouts and workbench matters.

Hi Stephen,

My view is that blogs should be restricted to the "ongoing saga" type of "what I did next" illustrated account. Anything technical or practical should be posted in a conventional forum topic, so that it can be discussed by all on equal terms in the usual way. And then linked from a blog. But that's just my view -- the "ground rules" here are still fluid.

Not sure what your problem is in Firefox, but it should be easily fixed. It's a better browser than Chrome anyway, if you ask me.

regards,

Martin.

Well my first post on the new style forum. It looks very good Andy, as you say it will probably take a couple of days to get used to the new features, by this time next week, we will wonder what all the worry was about. I've only been online for maybe half an hour at most and its been good looking about and trying the new setup.

Cheers

Simon

Bertiedog,

Yes it does appear to be all moans at the moment. We are just but a couple of hours into the new forum and we are all learning how to work it. Including the Admin. Many of the things you are asking are as already stated by Andy AND NMod6 in the help section. Instead of rushing to post something or worrying about what you can and cannot post why don't you just calm down a bit and go and have a read of the help topics. You never know they may help.

Regards Mod5

• RMweb Gold

I'm a week in or more to the forum and would say this to the doubters - it is better than previous incarnations, just need to explore it. And of course, if you really don't like it, it's not mandatory. Other forums are available.

I know that Chrome does not support the transfers from the old forum, but I tried Firefox and I can't sign in on it, but presume just a glitch at present.

I suspect the best thing is simply to start again, I did save all the entries as text files, and I will sort out the motor and gearbox postings, as well as the point motors.

Stephen.

Not sure about your Firefox issue, latest 3.5 has let me in fine on multiple machines. It is a browser with a serious memory leak problem again though at the moment though :(, hopefully they'll fix that again in the next fig..

Gearbox data would be great in the Skill and Knowledge Centre-> Kitbuilding/scratchbuilding area while pointmotors advice would probably make sense under p/way area of the same section. They are useful info topics rather than your workbench blog (where you would put your P4 0-4-0 build)..

No doubt the admin team could do with a little break before badgering them if the help topics on posting in the new forum doesn't give you the info you need to complete the above successfully.

Right thats me Re-registered, bit of a bummer being put back to scratch there but no point moaning.

Bit of a laugh registering in to be told my answer to the manufacturer begining with H (to which a said Heljan) was wrongblink.gif ... nearly as funny as trying to find my avatar again,

but got it now. It will take a week or so to make a balanced judgement on the new site once there is some content to work with.

Just one thing.. whats with the drop down at bottom with language English (USA), no other option?

Okay I'm here again (sorry everyone...)

Didn't have to re-register, but of course I've lost my Contacts list of people I'm regularly in touch with via PM.

Still had trouble tonight with "Driver Error" messages occaisionally so from where I sit there still seems to be a bit of work to do, but such work is appreciated, Andy.

I will get used to it eventually...:D

I had to re-register so have taken the opportunity to change my ident to Pacific231G as in the avatar. Not sure if that's a good or a bad move. I'm still finding my way around but so far I like the galleries and the overall look and feel seems clear and crisp.

David

Well, my first impressions of this new version of the forum were good, but now I'm not so sure!

For those like myself whom have a low level of knowledge in IT, I wouldn't say it's a site that you can get the grasp of very easily, and alot of it seems too gimmicky for my liking.

The idea of the blogs is a good idea, yet I've no idea how to find either the layouts or workbenches I used to look for, nor am I sure how I'm gonna come across anything new and fresh.

Plus, I'm rather baffled by the ratings system, as it feels very much like going back to school.

Hi all,

very shiny, new and slick. Will take some getting used to but thats to be expected. Things will be better once I sort out relocating my WB & layout threads from the old site. It's just like moving house :unsure: once you've unpacked you're bound to re-arrange everything at least a dozen times :P

And once the server stops playing 'guess the next crash time' things should run smoother.

best regards,

Mark

P.S. If I wish to list something for sale, do I need to accrue 30 new posts on this site or will my reputation from the old site preceed me and count now?

Archived