If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
I hope my comments are viewed as constructive and not negative, but I would hate to give up on this resource which has been part of my daily life for years simply because it has become too complex for those of us who are doing our best to hang onto technological progress. Jeez, I sound really old and stupid....biggrin.gif

Hi Gordon,

If it's any consolation, I'm struggling to find my way through it too.

The blog generation are having a field day, but to be honest I much prefer the old forum style. There are two things which I don't like:

1. The reverse chronological order makes it very difficult to browse a blog unless you follow it regularly.

2. It's impossible to respond to blog items and have your response appear with equal prominence and be listed in Active Content. All you can do is comment, and anyone not actively following that blog will not see it.

However, blogs are not compulsory. You can just as easily post an account of your layout in the main forums. I'm expecting that in time the really meaty stuff will gravitate there, and the blogs will become more of a personal picture show.

Blogs are a great way to show pictures or make a personal statement, but they are not much use to discuss things, ask questions, or build a resource archive.

regards,

Martin.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, there is a big X button above the twitter style feed on the right hand side. press that and it goes away...

simples

As has already been mentioned thousands of times on internet forums, it might actually help if you read the whole posting before replying.

1. Get rid of the Twitter style updates on the main page

As a member of the "facebook/twitter" generation I have to say that I was really shocked to see this on main page especially after all the talk about sorting the wheat from the chaff. I know that you can close this part on the main page, but even so considering the good reputation of this forum and the informative posts from many members it is somewhat dismaying to have the twitter style infantilizing rubbish on the main page. Its not cool, please remove it.

Its not cool, please remove it.

I'd prefer it if it were as relevant as possible as opposed to "having chips tonight" comments. On occasions it has been informative, useful and funny and is liked by a fair number of people. It is however a transient piece and can, as you say, be turned off.

I notice that in the little left hand box under my avatar as well as the usual stuff everyone else has I've got a 'warn status' box; I expect that this is because I'm on moderated status. I haven't noticed this anywhere else; is this because I'm the only loose cannon round here or is it only visible to the miscreant and perhaps the mods? I've no problem with 'visibility', but I'd guess that there are those who would be.

Mainly curious.

Warn Status

I must be thick, ( no answers on a postcard ) but how do you add an avatar to your profile on here, i had one on the past forums but cannot see where you can add on this one, also i note that some members seemed to have joned this forum in 2007, but i could not log on to the new forum with my existing name and password.angry.gif

• RMweb Gold

As has already been mentioned thousands of times on internet forums, it might actually help if you read the whole posting before replying.

As a member of the "facebook/twitter" generation I have to say that I was really shocked to see this on main page especially after all the talk about sorting the wheat from the chaff. I know that you can close this part on the main page, but even so considering the good reputation of this forum and the informative posts from many members it is somewhat dismaying to have the twitter style infantilizing rubbish on the main page. Its not cool, please remove it.

So whats the problem, you dont like it, you can get rid of it? Clearly other people do like it otherwise they wouldnt be using it......

Personally I dont mind either way (I dont usually use the front page), but it does tend to bug me when people start making a fuss out of something that they dont have to use (and can get rid of)

• RMweb Gold

I must be thick, ( no answers on a postcard ) but how do you add an avatar to your profile on here, i had one on the past forums but cannot see where you can add on this one, also i note that some members seemed to have joned this forum in 2007, but i could not log on to the new forum with my existing name and password.angry.gif

There is a guide here

Go to the appropriate page in settings (Settings then Profile) then change avatar.

After that its a simple case of hitting brose, and selecting a suitably sized image

• RMweb Gold

So whats the problem, you dont like it, you can get rid of it? Clearly other people do like it otherwise they wouldnt be using it......

Personally I dont mind either way (I dont usually use the front page), but it does tend to bug me when people start making a fuss out of something that they dont have to use (and can get rid of)

I think that it's become clear after reading a lot of the initial reaction posts that some people make a fuss because they can.

• RMweb Premium

At the moment I'm not sure, but it's a change and who likes change!

I do like the overall look but am finding it hard to get my head round all the changes, and am not sure that the blog system is good for the layout/workbench areas. I feel that this is harder to watch and see what has been added.

I must be thick, ( no answers on a postcard )

Dear Nobby, ;)

Go to the drop down list by your name up at the top right, click on My Profile, click on Edit Profile (top right of screen) and go to the Change Avatar tab.

• RMweb Gold

Gordon

What you are looking at is a list of recent individually-titled blog entries (posts if you like). On the dark blue bar at the top of the list where it says 'Community Blogs' there are two icons at the right hand end which you can toggle to change the list view from 'posts' to 'topics'.

On the 'post' view the topic titles are also shown in small text next to the author in the line beneath the entry title ('ahem' for instance). Clicking that will bring you the entire blog/topic.

Ah, yes, now I know what those are for, thanks. I had previously run my mouse over them, got no response, assumed they didn't do anything important. What chance of some "pop-up labels" for these, please?

Do remember, some of us still half-believe that if we hit a wrong button, then a boxing-glove on the end of a spring will emerge from the screen and smack us in the mush!

Do remember, some of us still half-believe that if we hit a wrong button, then a boxing-glove on the end of a spring will emerge from the screen and smack us in the mush!

I am working on this as a forthcoming option; I'd propose that it's a configurable option, by member, at this end. ;)

I have no idea what people are on about with this - I've never even seen them on my main page to disable them huh.gif

Hi Gordon,

If it's any consolation, I'm struggling to find my way through it too.

The blog generation are having a field day, but to be honest I much prefer the old forum style. There are two things which I don't like:

1. The reverse chronological order makes it very difficult to browse a blog unless you follow it regularly.

2. It's impossible to respond to blog items and have your response appear with equal prominence and be listed in Active Content. All you can do is comment, and anyone not actively following that blog will not see it.

However, blogs are not compulsory. You can just as easily post an account of your layout in the main forums. I'm expecting that in time the really meaty stuff will gravitate there, and the blogs will become more of a personal picture show.

Blogs are a great way to show pictures or make a personal statement, but they are not much use to discuss things, ask questions, or build a resource archive.

regards,

Martin.

I know what you mean, on the old board 50% of my posts were in workshop threads, it therefore follows that most of my comments will be in the blog section rather than in the forum for discussion.

Things are still evolving so i'm giving it time to get comfortable :lol: It would be nice if there was a thread per blog, to which it would be linked and the discussion could take place in that rather than in the blog comments. but that might possibly make it too fragmented ?

We're working on that one :icon_e_wink: :icon_wave:

• RMweb Gold
So whats the problem, you dont like it, you can get rid of it?

Hi,

Er, NO you can't get rid of it. Otherwise you would lose everything else in the column. In particular, you lose the Watched Content panel, which is the essential replacement for the old "view your posts" link:

post-1103-12552749288888_thumb.png

regards,

Martin.

Just wondering if, in addition to encoruaging members to blog on here could we have a page which provides details of memebers' exisiting blogs like the Scalefour Society does? See here for the example. I do have a blog of my own and I'll continue to post things there, as others members will with their own blogs no doubt. I've been in touch with people who would never have come on RMweb so I'm not going to loose that by changing! Approaching things with a summary like the Scalefour webpages have would be an excellent way to be very inclusive.

I'm seeing how it goes, but the software change might not be to my liking - it's very similar to one that a car forum I used to use a lot changed too and it was never the same. I do wonder if the new forum software will mean any one still on dial-up will be effectively excluded from joining in.

We'll see but it seems very much like change for the sake of change for me at the moment...

We'll see but it seems very much like change for the sake of change for me at the moment...

Another WDIFB moment. I could have saved a fortune on the invisible ink over the last few weeks.

Just wondering if, in addition to encoruaging members to blog on here could we have a page which provides details of memebers' exisiting blogs like the Scalefour Society does? See here for the example. I do have a blog of my own and I'll continue to post things there, as others members will with their own blogs no doubt. I've been in touch with people who would never have come on RMweb so I'm not going to loose that by changing! Approaching things with a summary like the Scalefour webpages have would be an excellent way to be very inclusive.

Another RTFM moment: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/27-a-guide-to-viewing-the-community-blogs-and-creating-your-own-layout-or-workbench-blog/

Blog Home Page

Blogs may be local blogs, meaning that they are stored within the community, or they may be external blogs, which are links to blogs not stored within the community.

8>

You can then give your blog a name and description and choose if it will be a local or external blog. When you are ready, press Finish.

Another WDIFB moment. I could have saved a fortune on the invisible ink over the last few weeks.

It's not that at all Andy, but I'm entitled to my own opinion...

Another RTFM moment

You know what, it's not a case of me choosing not to read things but just missing things! I'd prefer a simple link that using phrases like 'RTFM', but hey that's just me!

Archived