If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

There seems to be some angst re. the new format of RMweb. I wonder how much of this is due to people trying to run before they can walk.

The number of hits on the "how-to guides" is surprisingly low. My recommendation would be either to print the guides or open two browser sessions - one containing the guides and the other pointing to an area of the forum to better understand how the features work.

Once you're familiar with a feature/function or two the GUI becomes more inituitive - the trick is not to rush things (a comment that is not meant to be patronising)...dilbert

I'd certainly agree with all that dilbert - it seems the unfamiliarity is creating a lot of headaches! The best approach to the new site is to just play around with it for while and if stuck read the help files and user guides. Most if not all of the answers are there. As to my own first reactions - yes there is a lot more there, some good, some not so good but that's only a personal opinion and overall I like what I'm presented with and find it a vast improvement over the old site, even if it's been supplied with a Satnav rather than a good old fashioned map :) I'm sure Andy will be open to suggestions for "Modification" in time however for the moment he'd be best left to allow the painkillers to kick in (once he's removed the needles from his eyes).....

Bob.

At work right now we are replacing a major part of our retail systems and for some, (despite the new system making their job easier at times) you'd think the world was going to stop turning so Andy, I know exactly how you've felt at times in the last week or so. laugh.gif

I think one of the problems these days is that such a large amount of people work for a living within environments that have some form of association with the latest IT software packages etc, that for them, this kinda thing is so easy to pick-up on and understand!

I suppose it is also these people that have the time to sit at work and look at RMweb all day wink.gif

You then have those of us who just want to use the internet as a tool in our research, and to aid us in keeping track on the work of our companions, and in doing so, like something that's got a user friendly aspect, in which you don't have to be a computer whizz to understand it.

I don??t like it , mostly due to the poorly executed design, the graphic look of it is that of a BBS from 15 years ago!

I find it extremely hard to navigate.

It is not an improvement to the former Forum, and if the "chaff" was such a big issue, they should have started Blogs instead!

Too bad.... I will probably not return for many moons.

Perhaps they will have altered it to the better by then.

I notice that in the little left hand box under my avatar as well as the usual stuff everyone else has I've got a 'warn status' box; I expect that this is because I'm on moderated status. I haven't noticed this anywhere else; is this because I'm the only loose cannon round here or is it only visible to the miscreant and perhaps the mods? I've no problem with 'visibility', but I'd guess that there are those who would be.

Mainly curious.

Not that this post has anything to do with first reactions as my OP said

Keep the specific questions on features etc to the Help forum
I'll cover this point.

Everyone can see a warn status bar under their profile, it would indicate if any warning had been issued. If the bar is blank you haven't been issued a warning for anything. Others can't see your warn status, the same as you can't see theirs.

Perhaps they will have altered it to the better by then.

I do expect people to have some issues and I don't mind discussing them when they're reasonably presented. 'They' are not just a faceless entity, it's me, I'm here and you can talk to me like anyone else although I do think you comment

the graphic look of it is that of a BBS from 15 years ago!
is very far from fact. This style is as contemporary as they come and I don't think you'd have seen many images or movies embedded in 1994.

• RMweb Gold

On first look I have to say I like it a lot. :D

Well done Andy and everyone else who has contributed to its development/birth/re-birth (delete as appropriate).

I'll have a bimble around in here during Sunday and get familiar with the new layout and features.

Must be about time now that I acually put some of my modelling efforts up for scrutiny.

• RMweb Gold

Cheerio!

laugh.gif

I think it's rather grand.

A very nice place to be infact, is it me or does it make you feel uplifted with a nice bright fresh looking screen?

Oh it's me then I'll get me coat....already icon_wave.gif

Well I was uncertain at first and did not like it but after browsing a bit, the features and improvements for posting are well thought out and work well. I do miss the general topics though, was always a useful place to browse. True there were topics that could have been placed better but i feel the loss of a general model railway section and the potential to raise issues that cut across other area. For example things like, first layout, future of modelling/exhibitions, heritage models/manufacturers abrowse though and would not readily fit in with the more structured arrangement.

best regards,

Mark

P.S. If I wish to list something for sale, do I need to accrue 30 new posts on this site or will my reputation from the old site preceed me and count now?

Good Point,

The same terms and conditions are on this classified section as prev. Unless I'm Blind I can't see if you've had an answer.

Just as well I punted most of my spare gear a couple of weeks ago.

I think it's really good! :D

I like the design, very contemporary and easy to find stuff.

Had a bit of confusion over what you would actually put in the blogs section, then realised that it's effectively a replacement for layouts. A few of us are experimenting with that particular function by contributing to a narrow gauge blog, no modelling as yet. We're hoping to comment on a combination of prototypes and models. I've kicked things off with a set of pics of a Darjeeling Himalayan Railway B class.

It's things like this that make the new area of the forum special and the ability for multiple authors is great!

• RMweb Gold

I like the new front page, nice look and easier to find specific sections, but still learning about what all the graphic bits and bobs mean. I had to re-register too but that took seconds so no worries there.

Only two bits I'm struggling with, first is the layouts & workbench bit as it seems harder to surf than the old sections when you just want to browse. I have to do a lot of scrolling where the old format gave me a idea in two lines if the topic title was any good. Easy to find specifics with the search though.

Would be nice to be able to toggle off the gallery pics too and just click on the tab to browse them as the page itself is good. rolleyes.gif

I'm already used to the layout, as my other favourite (non-railway) forum has recently changed to the same style.

At the moment, I'm still having a poke about, but on first impressions (which is what the thread is titled after all), I'm not keen on the layout and workbench topics being separate from the main forum, I'd prefer them to be 'inline'.

I tended to browse the old forum by always going to 'View New Posts' and to get all of that now, I have to do that on two separate pages (or three, if you include the Gallery)

Try again,just wrote a loverly bit and it came up with a server error :icon_frustrated: , but hey ho its all new so these things happen.

Anyway after having a couple of visits in here I would like to say it is nice fresh and I am sure I will get used to it in year or 3 (not good on compooters), so a big :icon_thumbsup2: to Andy and everyone that has put time, effort (and money) into the new site.

And to those that are moaning about the changes I would just like to ask how the betamax video and black and white telly are? and is the Austin Maxi running okay.

I'm not keen on the new forum but then again I'm not usually in favour of changes on forums. I will get used it.

People always moan when these types of changes happen on forums, I've seen it all before. The thing is there will be no going back to the old forum. So best to make some constructive comments on developments that can be made with the new forum. Here are mine:

1. Get rid of the Twitter style updates on the main page

As a member of the "facebook/twitter" generation I have to say that I was really shocked to see this on main page especially after all the talk about sorting the wheat from the chaff. I know that you can close this part on the main page, but even so considering the good reputation of this forum and the informative posts from many members it is somewhat dismaying to have the twitter style infantilizing rubbish on the main page. Its not cool, please remove it.

2. Layout threads not blogs.

It was great to read through the layout threads, many from experienced modellers, seeing a layout take shape. Along with this is was nice to have all the comments and questions in order, usually after an image update, creating questions about ballasting, scenery or track. A blog doesn't deliver the same easy to follow functionality.

3. Reputation.

It was also nice to know who were the established, long term members of this forum. It went hand in hand with seeing great layouts, work, photography or detailed loco modifications. I fear that reputation is too anonymous and divisive. Particularly the case if you model or mainly comment on an area of rail modelling that is not extremely popular. With the more extensive breakdown of the forum (e.g. product discussion into seperate manufacturers) I feel that there is more chance of non main stream items being left alone and as such reputations taking a hit.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Layout threads not blogs.

It was great to read through the layout threads, many from experienced modellers, seeing a layout take shape. Along with this is was nice to have all the comments and questions in order, usually after an image update, creating questions about ballasting, scenery or track. A blog doesn't deliver the same easy to follow functionality.

That was done in order to rid the topics of some of the chaff. Here's a couple of suggestions, in addition to the 'comments' option:

1) PM the blog owner and ask to be put on his list of those with posting rights.

2) PM the blog owner with a constructive comment/question and ask him to include that in his next blog entry.

Sorry if this has been said before, but I'm totally confused. Not being one of the Facebook, Twitter, Blog generation, I really have no idea what the difference is between a blog and a series of postings on a layout. When I go into the Layouts section of the forum which is usually the "flagship" of any forum, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

All I can see is a stack of entries which with due respect to the poster mean absolutely nothing to me. "Ahem", "first date" and a succession of "Etc's" are meaningless and without opening each and every one I have no idea what they relate to. I knew the layouts and what they were about on the old forum and now I don't have a clue.

I know it is early days and as an old fella, I'm probably completely out of touch, but could someone let me know the secret? I must be missing something....

All I can see is a stack of entries which with due respect to the poster mean absolutely nothing to me. "Ahem", "first date" and a succession of "Etc's" are meaningless and without opening each and every one I have no idea what they relate to. I knew the layouts and what they were about on the old forum and now I don't have a clue.

Gordon

What you are looking at is a list of recent individually-titled blog entries (posts if you like). On the dark blue bar at the top of the list where it says 'Community Blogs' there are two icons at the right hand end which you can toggle to change the list view from 'posts' to 'topics'.

On the 'post' view the topic titles are also shown in small text next to the author in the line beneath the entry title ('ahem' for instance). Clicking that will bring you the entire blog/topic.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not keen on the new forum but then again I'm not usually in favour of changes on forums. I will get used it.

People always moan when these types of changes happen on forums, I've seen it all before. The thing is there will be no going back to the old forum. So best to make some constructive comments on developments that can be made with the new forum. Here are mine:

1. Get rid of the Twitter style updates on the main page

As has already been mentioned in this thread, there is a big X button above the twitter style feed on the right hand side. press that and it goes away...

simples

Gordon

What you are looking at is a list of recent individually-titled blog entries (posts if you like). On the dark blue bar at the top of the list where it says 'Community Blogs' there are two icons at the right hand end which you can toggle to change the list view from 'posts' to 'topics'.

On the 'post' view the topic titles are also shown in small text next to the author in the line beneath the entry title ('ahem' for instance). Clicking that will bring you the entire blog/topic.

OK, thanks for that Mod6. That has helped a bit.....cool.gif

So just bear with me a sec, if Chris posted an update on Cement Quay, would it appear in Active or New posts on the forum home page or is it only visible in the Layouts section? Does the forum home page act as one central resource?

I hope my comments are viewed as constructive and not negative, but I would hate to give up on this resource which has been part of my daily life for years simply because it has become too complex for those of us who are doing our best to hang onto technological progress. Jeez, I sound really old and stupid....biggrin.gif

So just bear with me a sec, if Chris posted an update on Cement Quay, would it appear in Active or New posts on the forum home page or is it only visible in the Layouts section?

Initially it would appear in both Gordon under the appropriate tab e.g. layouts/Workbenches, once you've read it it would no longer show in the New Posts (sounds obvious now). It would still show up in Active though if it had been posted in the last 24 hours (or whatever timescale you have selected at the bottom of the Active page).

Gordon, just to add to that -

When you first log in, you have the dark blue band across the top with the various section tabs - forums, blogs, galleries etc. These are the 'baseline' lists that you can always return to, for instance if you want to exit Active or New modes.

When you click Active or New Content, you then also get a light blue band (a form of fat-free margarine) with the same category tabs which relate only to Active/New entries in those categories.

Archived