If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

I spent last night getting to grips with the new forum and I have to say I think its great. I like the Blog style Workbench/Layout threads and in a way its nice to have a clean slate in regard to post's.

Once again, many thanks to Andy and the team. smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

On the fence.

Certainly a step forward from the last incarnation of RMWeb. That said:

[iT pro head on]

I do find the plethora of images "up front" on every banner, and on the home page, etc somewhat visually intrusive and inconvenient from an Information Architecture standpoint. I'd much prefer a more subtle, text-based index page. The banner and gallery on the front page is particularly garish IMO. For those of us who want to idly surf at work, it's a bit of a giveaway... :rolleyes:

[iT pro head]

[modelling head]

Blogs are definitely the way to go... Question, though - why do the same pics that appear in blogs appear in the Gallery?

[/modelling head]

[anti-Twitter / Faecesbook head]

Can't stand the Tw@tter piece on the front page. What possible purpose does that serve, what value does it add?

Blogs are definitely the way to go... Question, though - why do the same pics that appear in blogs appear in the Gallery?

Hi John, long time etc

AIUI the only way to embed a photo in a blog entry is to use the insert image icon which only links to an internal location (using the 'share' option with a gallery photo). In a topic post you can attach an image much as before.

• RMweb Gold
AIUI the only way to embed a photo in a blog entry is to use the insert image icon which only links to an internal location (using the 'share' option with a gallery photo). In a topic post you can attach an image much as before.

Hi Rod,

???

You can upload and attach an image to a blog entry in the same way as to a topic post. I just did one to check. What's more, it then opens nicely in the lightbox if you click it:

http://www.rmweb.co....rch-newry-gnri/

What I did notice (Firefox) is that you must click twice (or double-click) on the "Click to Attach Files" button to get the File dialog to open. Odd that it only accepts clicks when focused. A bug, I think. Also, I'm using the Flash uploader option.

regards,

Martin.

having accidentally acquired the magic url i though I had better pop my head around the door :lol:

Initial reactions are very positive my details had been imported successfully and Safari automatically logged me in. On having a poke around i found everything I would need for day to day use very quickly. I can't see why new users should have any major problems if the take a few minutes to reorient themselves.

All in all :icon_thumbsup2: well done Andy

i should add a couple of minor dislikes neither of which are major, I don't like the 'twitter' widget on the front page it seems confusing as it could be mistaken for the latest posts, I don't think it adds to the experience, and the banner header is a little clunky but this is is a minor thing

• RMweb Gold

I got the link a few hours ago and I have been looking around. I like what I see and I've decided to try this new blog thing and start a layout blog.

Well done Andy. I have still a lot to learn to fully appreciate all the new bells and whistles, but I'm glad to see all the old favourites also still here.

Hi all

I've been having a bit of a play and must say a big vote of thanks to Andy and the team for the new RMweb.

I have had a few fraught moments because some of the responses I got led me to believe I hadn't successfully carried out the particular procedure - hence three blogs instead of just the one !!!!

Yesterday and today, I have had a few little error messages but cannot be sure whether It was my own fault. Also realise that this is still prior to the site going live.

The one thing I have to say, although it may only be a personal thing - through blogging (still getting used to it) I feel there is more responsibility felt by the blogger to get it right and keep it right - because it is yours - you own it. This site doesn't feel like someone else's - it feels more like we each have our own piece of RMweb andthey are all joined together by Andy. Does that make sense ?

Once again, thanks very much Andy - I love it.

Meant to say - isn;t it strange how some had to reregister whereas others didn't ?

I note that Pennine has had to whereas Mikeh hasn't, although not sure if Mikeh has come to the "party" yet.

Obviously a reason for it, and I'd be interested to know whether the individual's posts have transferred - says Mikeh has 290 whereas Pennine has 1.

Cheers

I don't know if anybody has mentioned that the site is a lot quicker on a iPhone. I'm really liking the cleaner look and feel. I think the doom merchants should ashamed of themselves as Andys efforts have made a much improved forum.

The ability to have multiple editors of a blog is a great feature and one I was going to ask about. I'm currently migrating previous posts from the old forum to give some context to new posts on the club layout.

The ability to chose the time of posting is also useful as i've been putting up the posts for the date on which they were originally posted (ie June/July time).

If we can have sub-blogs as such then that would sort out my concern really about multiple blogs for each person.

• RMweb Gold

When I first log on I come here before I look at the old site...

Says it all really as far as I am concerned.

I'm still trying to get my head round the blog feature, it's not something I've used before.

Andi

Im pretty impressed so far and the gallery function is finally hereicon_thumbsup2.gif

Im still being a bit of a baby about the blog thing as Im still getting my head around it but it may just suit my sporadic posting on RMweb due to work pressures.

Darren.

Obviously a reason for it, and I'd be interested to know whether the individual's posts have transferred - says Mikeh has 290 whereas Pennine has 1.

Not that I'm aware of, just some of the post counts didn't make it across. Not that post count matters here wink.gif .

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

well after the slight slip on the old forum i could resist no longer and made a break across the yard and over the big fence and i have to say.......

How posh is it in hererolleyes.gif

well done to the grand master Andy who has yet again excelled him self (and the rest of his team wink.gif )

Had a quick look around and i do like it.

im off to get lost, if you dont hear from me for a while dont worry laugh.gif laugh.gif

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Bloody brilliant - this will indeed set totally new standards for the online model railway community. The blog and gallery features seem every bit as great as I'd hoped for. I also like the design, which I think is a good mix of the old RMWeb but with a bit more colour etc to brighten things up.

I'm hoping the blogs and galleries will also prompt more people to come forward with their modelling. The fact that you are partly in control of your own "space" just might make it seem more "safe" for those who are normally less inclined to display their work. The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth! (if that's ok with you)... biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Having found - to my surprise - that I'd been granted privileged access to the new site, yes, I'm quite happy that nothing of worth has been lost. I'm actually familiar with this format, having found it on another site, whose subject matter will not be readily revealed here! Ahem! Relieved to find other, revered contributors and modellers, considerably younger than me, saying they are not used to blogs - me neither. But I feel the day is approaching when I will be forced to make a positive contribution to RMWeb, and a blog about my feeble modelling inactivities seems to be the right touch.

The enormous efforts made by Andy Y and his chums need to be commended, and I am very pleased to add my trivial two penn'orth to the adulation.

I also like the new format, Andy, and again, many thanks for the hard work in keeping this going and developing it.

I haven't had too much time as yet to get to know the new format, and there are still a few things that I don't quite 'get', but as a curmudgeonly old technophobe, that's only to be expected! I'll cry for help if I really get stuck (and thanks for sorting my blog out the other day!).

Blimey, thwarted in your quest for 10000 posts yet again CK!

Archived