If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

Great, modern look to this new RMweb I like it very much. Like many others on here I had to re-register but so what it doesn't matter. Also like many others I have found some pages slow to load but I guess that problem will be solved soon. So for me no complaints, just praise and admiration for Andy and his crew.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Really love the new site. Spent most of today pottering around on it, think I've found where everything is so far but time will tell! Excellent work Andy as always, RMWeb has moved on in leaps and bounds from when it first started. :D

• RMweb Gold

Link for the nostalgic luddites who want too see life before RMweb. wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I must admit late last night when tempers seemed frayed I did wonder about the new format. Having pottered around all day I seem to be able to find all the usual content which is what its all about (and it is much slicker)

Andy, shouldn't you have more than 2 stars as Brigadier General of this theatre of warwink.gif

Terry

• RMweb Gold

Link for the nostalgic luddites who want too see life before RMweb. wink.gif

Cor that's super all I have to do is keep scrolling forever wink.gif seriously though the thread title is called first reactions so we are bound to miss things even with the how to guides.

I took a while bouncing around before I opened the how to in a second window for quicker reference. Now I've found most of the custom settings I'm liking it it even more. Got rid of the facebook panel but I can toggle it on to find my posts or use the drop down under my name, Also the gallery has spread across the page making it more of a constantly changing title banner which is rahter nice.

Viewing everything as forum view saves scrolling and when I find somet' I like I can switch to list to stick it in the favourites.

Getting there, me that is biggrin.gif

For me it has been chronically slow at times??¦ Talking 2-3 minutes plus sometimes to open threads (blogs are particularly bad), whereas the old forum (at the same time on same PC) responded in seconds..

It has been very busy tonight for some reason we can't fathom wink.gif . And the old site has not always been as fast as you quote recently!.

Not just last night - there been that difference in performance all week when the two fora were open together...

Also is there an option to go to 'first unread post'? if so I haven't found it yet... I know the newest post is at the top, but there could be any number of new posts I haven't read so no idea how far down to go to get to where I need to start from.

If you are in Active Content or View New Content mode, clicking on the topic title will do just that.

Clicking on the time of the latest post to the right of the title will take you to the latest post.

Also is there an option to go to 'first unread post'? if so I haven't found it yet...

Hi PLD,

It's exactly the same as Old RMweb -- you click the orange icon:

post-1103-12552477746656_thumb.png

Martin.

Hi Mod6, Martin,

Sorry I could have made that a bit clearer: it was specificly related to the blogs... I know that's how its done in Forums, but I hadn't found a similar function in Layout / workbench blogs (to take you to the earliest entry in the blog you havent read)...

In Blogs, when you look at 'Active Content' or 'New Content' you just get the title of the individual blog entry - there's not even an indication of which blog it's in, never mind whether there are other unread entries in the same blog...

I can see a lot of work has gone into this, but for me the site is feeling fragmented and harder to use than the previous incarnation. I'll see how things go for a few weeks but at the moment i'm not liking it...

Paul

Keep the specific questions on features etc to the Help forum but if anyone wants to give generalised feedback on how it all feels I'd be happy to hear.

My immediate impression is that it lacks the simplicity and clarity of the old website.

I seem to be trawling through more menus rathere than spammy threads - those I could just ignore.

Take heart Andy - and try to think about what one of the manager types in my work says:

If you have a good time, you'll tell 1 person.

If you have a bad time, you'll tell 9 people.

So, using logic, that means that for every "I don't like it" there are nine "I think it's great/cool/awesome/reasonable/not too shabby*"

delete as applicable to your age group

Of course, you probably feel like there are 9 of you at the minute...

P.S. I'm one of the 90% wink.gif

As several others have said it does seem fragmented, and I still cannot see how a reply to a blog is posted to be able to be seen by all, as it was before, or is this a basic limitation of blogs, a side posting that is an end in itself?

Like lots of other I have no experience of blogs, never read them as they seemed just to be personal columns of day to day entries posted on the web, neither a web page or an open forum, and personal to the poster, not something that could, or should be joined in with.

Previously I have replied to problems and queries to help on the assumption, proven by experience, that people are reading it as they pass over the latest postings, but now I am unsure who would read a comment within a blog.

Do I have to assume that each "blog" is a posting that is a "dead end" as far as comments are concerned, ( the expression "dead end" is purely to define the blog, no implication about content implied).

In other words, do I assume all postings to a "blog" are in reference purely to that Blog alone, and will only be read by those who go there to read it, read by the Posting Blogger, or come upon it by chance?

Previously, on say a query about soldering it would be replied to, aimed at two audiences, the post originator, (or the previous entry in that post), and I would assume that as it came up in the old forum, as a new posting, it would be read by any interested member.

The number of pickups from outside the thread indicated this, there was a split between further "on going" comments about the help offered and new posters picking up the thread, but now I am unsure who would read any help contributions offered, except on the general forum.

I can well see this format here does reduce Chaff, it will as the fragmetation seems to reduce a feeling of direct access to the latest comments and postings, and I assume this is the reason the format has been chosen.

Further to this comment, how does a blogger expect help to be offered, as his latest addition to the blog does not have the equivalent of the previous forum in being listed as a new entry.

Is it best to exit the blog if there is a query and post elsewhere, and how is the query to be posted so that it is noticed, as before it would have just joined the general list and been picked up as it got posted.

At the moment I will just observe and see what happens, but it does feel a lot has been gained in this format, but keeping tabs on subjects and making sure replies are available to all to read very difficult.

Stephen.

We're getting into too much detail there Bertie, please read my OP. Start a topic in the Help forum if you wish to discuss that at length rather than it be lost in this topic.

This is the base of the problem as deciding where to post is difficult, can I just start a new topic as before then?

It's the pick up of posts thats is worrying me as I am missing posts that I was reading and replying to, and they have dissapeared so far. (I am sure they will come back, the Hachette Scotsman is one).

Stephen.

I don??t like it , mostly due to the poorly executed design, the graphic look of it is that of a BBS from 15 years ago!

I find it extremely hard to navigate.

It is not an improvement to the former Forum, and if the "chaff" was such a big issue, they should have started Blogs instead!

Too bad.... I will probably not return for many moons.

Perhaps they will have altered it to the better by then.

I'm not sure I am going to cope with this loss! :P

can I just start a new topic as before then?

Yes, we've had 165 others today too.

Go to the Forum Help area - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/forum/53-forum-help/ - and Start a new topic or better still join the existing topic - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/227-keeping-track-of-comments/

Further to this comment, how does a blogger expect help to be offered, as his latest addition to the blog does not have the equivalent of the previous forum in being listed as a new entry.

That's the 64k$ question, Stephen, and a most pertinent one in my view. The issue is compounded by not being currently able to see a record of one's blog comments, and as far as I can see so far, the inability to even track a particular blog*. I don't think anyone expected the intended parcelling of layouts and workbenches into blogs would so seriously impair the intended integration of functionality.

* Edit: Have now discovered what happens when making a blog a 'favourite'. Excellent!

Starting to get used to it now, I reckon with time and perseverence it will be as easy to use as the old version even for an idiot like myself!

Might take a while for me to pluck up the courage to transfer my workbench over though (for the benefit of the 2 guys and one dog that look at it!)

Well done Andy for daring to change rmweb even though you must have known it would provoke criticism!

Well it is different. Not having an alternative to English (USA) bugs me, but then trying to explain the difference between metre and meter to engineering students seems to be standard these days so maybe we have to accept the death of english english.

that aside. I found the the mobile version on my phone quick to download and to read through. A couple of annoying issues:

1. the buttons at the bottom of the screen are small and are jammed up against the 'add reply' and 'start a new topic' which meant much reversing and enlarging of the screen to hit the next page of postings button.

2. when you choose RMWeb for mobile devices it remembers this when you go online on a computer. Not so much of a problem when you realise how fast the pages download when you strip out the fancy formatting, though you do loose the functionality of the full-blown version.

Now all we need is someone to write an iphone App just like the one for Facebook etc., .......

just have to wait now for all the existing postings/threads to re-appear here.

regards

ducks back behind some cover.

Yes, we've had 165 others today too.

Go to the Forum Help area - http://www.rmweb.co..../53-forum-help/ - and Start a new topic or better still join the existing topic - http://www.rmweb.co....ck-of-comments/

I am assuming only a current problem please do not take as complaint, only comment, but I did just try to ask in the area suggested, a new topic on the Blogs and replies etc, but I was unable to post, after about 25 minutes of typing and corrections, (made difficult by not using Chrome at Martin's suggestion, as IE seem to have spell checking not enabled somehow), the post simply dissappeared into thin air, although I do have a copy in shorter form, and will re-try later on.

Stephen.

I like the look and the functionality will undoubtedly be better, that is why the new one is here after all.

It seems to me that the base line of computer literacy has been raised. I think people need to have a better basic understanding of computers and forum layout to get the most from this new system.

I have spent more than one and less than two hours on here since Saturday and I am still finding my way around. My fear is that some people will come and have a look and think - that is too complicated for me.

I know it is the way to go, I like it, but I feel it may leave some talented modellers behind.

Archived