class 08 shunter prototype photos

8 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

08495, if my memory is correct, was converted to a radio controlled version as a trial but I am not sure if it was a successful trial. 

Terry

Radio control or not needs a trip to fuel pumps....gauge pointing to the oh dear side!...(polite saying) yep 50 gallons plenty to keep it going but there will be 60+ years of sludge in bottom don't want to climb up and give filters a twist!

Keep photos coming chaps and lasses ....my favourite locomotive (as long as fitted with electric fuel pump!.....designers of 08 obviously had it in for drivers as who would put it all the way down there...tucked in corner? )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

my favourite locomotive (as long as fitted with electric fuel pump!.....designers of 08 obviously had it in for drivers as who would put it all the way down there...tucked in corner? )

The new 08 at bescot has a manual fuel and oil pump, one of the shunters says it’s only got about 2 inches worth of ‘pump’ when you do the handle though!

IMG_6558.HEIC

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2022 at 23:09, Trainshed Terry said:

08495, if my memory is correct, was converted to a radio controlled version as a trial but I am not sure if it was a successful trial. 

Terry

The light clusters on the upper cab ends of 08495 are radio control lights.

It must have had some success as there were a few others also fitted - 08632 immediately springs to mind.

This is one of at least three liveries at carried whilst fitted. 

08605/752/782/854/888/951 are other examples. I'm sure there are more.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Scarborough by sirbrianrobertson

Scarborough

There seems to have been a 'mod' made to the front of the 08 (a circular attachment under the radiator and either a rod or cable between the buffer beam and the middle of the engine compartment). Anyone have any ideas what this might be? 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Scarborough by sirbrianrobertson

Scarborough

Does anybody know what the cable is that seems to run from near the BR symbol down to the front steps and also what the silver disc is above the right hand buffer, please. The caption sugests that this is 08171.

Regards,

Ian.

(Apologies for the repeat question ... seems like we posted at the same time !)

Edited by 03060

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

Looks like a chrome car hubcap to me!

Scarborough

That was my thought, or maybe some sort of bell that was activated by the cable seen in the station overview shot, possibly ??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

Lucky I could recall these postings & just thought you may be able to throw some light on my mystery photograph i recently scanned  ----- thanks Peter

Yellow ex BR shunter

It looks like Class 11 12099 to me, possibly at Blaenavon Opencast Colliery. The livery actually being the faded exWilliam Pepper Orange and Black, the loco ended up at British Oak, Crigglestone in 1981 but was a bit more decrepit than your photo by then, although it was repainted and went on to work at Bowers Row and I believe is now on the Severn Valley. Others may have better information but a quick Google of this loco may help you. Nice photo though.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 2