RMweb

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

When i met my Emma over ten years ago i was shocked & gobsmacked.

I had seen round town for ages & she was the hottest woman in town by a golden mile. She's blonde, pretty & has a collection of friends to match so when i was given her number this kind of post dropped into my head. 

I didn't think for one minute she would be interested in someone like me with an anorak hobby as people have bluntly put it to me over the years. After a couple of dates with her & lots of fun i knew this was going somewhere & so i showed her what my interest was.

Emma laughed at first & called me Roy Cropper off Corrie but when i explained to her that it is something i did with my dad when he was alive she understood. At that point i breathed a sigh of relief she said i don't know what all the fuss is about anyway everyone enjoys something. She added that she liked shopping, fashion & rock climbing so i guess we are chalk & cheese. 

Her friends come round regularly before we hit the town & they are the ones that shocked me the most. They all want to see what i am making or what is my latest project. I've read before some of the stories on here & other forums about wives & partners not happy with our hobby. I guess i am lucky in the fact Emma never complains or stops me from doing anything with trains wether it be model making or going out to photograph the real thing. 

Saying that i'm the same, i don't mind her going to Manchester every saturday buying new clothes or going climbing although i hate her doing that it scares the crap out of me.

Simon

• Like 2

... and you can admire the 'Vertical Pier'. I won't repeat the local name for it, it would fall foul of the obscenity filter. It's fairly obvious what it really is when you look at it.

It not only looks like one,it was designed by one.Just what Redcar needed.(Going of topic here sorry)

Dear Evil Bus Driver.

Sorry to hear the climate down south is so boring.Might I venture to suggest you take your fiancée for a weeks holiday in one of our more robust and exciting North East England coastal resorts.Redcar should be ideal.

Tornadoes are not unknown there and extreme weather is an almost daily event.I speak from many a happy childhood summer day spent on the beach.

Edit:It occurs to me that you may both be of a Gothic persuasion in which case substitute Whitby for Redcar.That way you get Dracula ,extreme weather and even better The North Yorkshire Moors railway.

And the Whitby Gothic weekends with a dash of NYMR thrown in too, of course.  Shouldn't be a problem for me as I have family in Scarborough.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think the future Mrs Stationmaster had fully realised my interest by the time we were arrested for 'spying' (photographing TKt 48 tank engines) in Poland on the very first time we went away for a weekend together.  After release, several hours most of the day later, the rest of the weekend was spent a good way away from the railway on more mundane things like ski slopes, sleigh rides, and in the local bars.

And if she hadn't got it then she was probably fully convinced when we spent part of the first day of our honeymoon with me watching the working of various steam powered locos and cranes in Falmouth Docks (and that was after I had 'found' Bowen Cooke's grave in a local churchyard on the other side of the estuary on a walk after breakfast).

To be fair, taking pictures of trains in a communist country probably wasn't the best idea.

• 5 months later...

Hmmm, well lets see,

My most recent ex girlfriend HATED models in all there forums, and she decided one day to call in on my workshops, and within half an hour I had anoyed her with my attention to detail, having spent half an hour building the chassis for a wagon she started getting restless (why she came around the 'shop I dont know) and started fiddling with things... withi 5 minutes she was scuttling off and I was single... again... :D Its a laugh if nothing else.

In all honesty, I hope I do find somone who will at least put up with my modeling...

Sean

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, well lets see,

My most recent ex girlfriend HATED models in all there forums, and she decided one day to call in on my workshops, and within half an hour I had anoyed her with my attention to detail, having spent half an hour building the chassis for a wagon she started getting restless (why she came around the 'shop I dont know) and started fiddling with things... withi 5 minutes she was scuttling off and I was single... again... :D Its a laugh if nothing else.

In all honesty, I hope I do find somone who will at least put up with my modeling...

Sean

My wife has stood at the door to the railway room but has not crossed the threshold.

And that is the way it's going to stay .... :triniti:

• Like 1

Mrs coach sat in my room a few weeks ago out of the way of workmen. In the hour she was there I built a complete LMS open third coach while nattering and explaining this and that as soldering progressed. Normally she just sees the finished models, but she said she found it interesting and had little idea of what I had been doing all these years in order to keep a roof over our heads. It normally takes me a bit longer than an hour but I didn't visit RMweb that morning!

• Like 12

My wife has always said she thinks all men should have a hobby so when I first admitted being a modeller, she was ?pleased? and certainly not offended. The first time our parents met was at Holmfirth show in 2005 / 06 where I was exhibiting. She does think we are all weird but is happy for me spending Friday nights out at the club. Her moans only start when exhibiting eats into my holiday allocation or she feels abandoned if I am off playing on back to back weekends. I was even permitted, under sufference, to have a model railway room. The (now broken) proviso was that everything of mine had to fit in the 1 room and I could only have 1 baseboard at home at any one time. Currently all 4 baseboards are up in the garage being worked on ;-)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't bother Sean, you're better off selfish and alone.

Mike.(Bitter and twisted, me, no never.)

Now that is not always true, I finally married at thirty but before that I wasted my time and money on fast motorbikes,beer and women and forgot about railways because I was so busy. Now I am just forgetful er what did you say.. 

Got back last evening to find several half-empty wine glasses dotted around the living room, but no sign of Mrs WY and her friends. They appeared about half an hour later, and had been up in my loft looking at my layouts. Not sure whether I should be pleased or worried!

As an aside, why don't women have hobbies to the same extent that we have?

As an aside, why don't women have hobbies to the same extent that we have?

From what I've seen on FB and 'Plenty of Fish', they put their hobby on hold until they're 50 then go back to being 19 and make up for lost time! :maninlove:

Edited by coachmann

I coach a couple of women's soccer teams (Over 30 and Over 55) and none of the women I work with have ever made fun of my railroad hobby. In the US you usually have to clarify a bit what exactly you do, because for most people the image that comes to mind is Lionel tinplate. But the general response is positive.

My girlfriend got a bit upset when I went off to the last show on my own. She enjoys the big show in Springfield MA and appears to be genuinely happy if I come across something that I have been looking for.

I feel a bit sorry for those whose partners are hostile to the hobby. How often is that actually a sign that something else is awry with the relationship?

And as for the general idea that in Britain you have to keep the hobby somehow secret, I think that's a really screwed up attitude on the part of the rest of the population!

• Like 1

When I first met my girlfriend I laid my hobby out on the table. She was intrigued and us encouraging me to build something cause she curious to see all my models working. She was shocked when she see the bill for one of my models. But she has her hobbies and I have mine and it makes interesting conversations about them.

Big James