Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

Whilst I am currently single (don't even get me started on that one :) ) I think that there are a surprising number of seemingly uninterested ladies out there that like, and dare I say, are impressed by such things.

The railway can also be the source of little romantic gestures. A little 009 Quarry Hunslet (it's 'cute' apparently), painted in her fave colour and named after her is actually a rather nice thing to do :) just make sure that not all of her anniversary present :)

Get straight into it.  In any relationship knowledge of each other's interests is vital.  When I invited my wife to my house for the first time, I invited her down into my basement to see my trains.  She was a bit scared, she has since admitted.  Logically, any woman would be interested in her date's interests, so why conceal it?  Trains are a great hobby.  A lot cheaper than (real) cars, or any other full size transport for that matter.  Clean, honest, non-sexual, not a "boys-out" activity, and creative.  Plus, also, her offspring might have something to play with !!

so what about me who happens to be a petrol head as well and is getting married in August? must be no hope for me then! 

I got into railway modelling through my wife, who suggested it as a natural extension of static scale modelling. However, when she first met me I didn't make static models, and she thought it weird that I had no hobby outside work. She changed that much in me, and twenty years and six children later I have a bunch of children who share the various hobbies as well. Good fun all round.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

so what about me who happens to be a petrol head as well and is getting married in August? must be no hope for me then! 

An early trip out I had to get my now wife to help me bump start my car, I suppose a few hobbies is quite harmless, I still miss my old Sunbeam.

• Like 1

Sidura often reminds me that shortly after we started dating we took the train together to Montreal.  I didn't shut up about trains the whole way, and at one point she fell asleep and I didn't notice.

I say be upfront and honest and let them know right away.  If she's the right person, she won't be turned off.

I have a friend who had been luckless in love. He asked me if it was his obsession with trains that was the cause of it and I told him that if he showered more regularly and kept his eyes above the neck that would be a good start. So if the women are staying away, it might not be because of the trains.... :secret:

I think that should probably have said "I had a friend." He doesn't come round much any more for some reason. I can't figure out why...

-Jason

• Like 4

An early trip out I had to get my now wife to help me bump start my car, I suppose a few hobbies is quite harmless, I still miss my old Sunbeam.

I knew MrsB was the woman for me when, as my landlady prior to becoming my girlfriend and subsequently fiance, she came home early one day to find me boiling a motorcycle chain in Linklyfe (all the old bikers on here will know what that is and those who don't are better off for the lack) on her kitchen stove and didn't throw me out on my ear. :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My wife has no problems, although she does not understand why I need more than a couple of locos. She likes going on preserved railways for a day out so that helps. She did got to Warley with me once that was enough for her, no more exhibitions, which was a blessing really because I can buy stuff with impunity as long as I hide the receipts. Interestingly all my work colleagues (mostly women) show an interest in my hobby, one adding wrly at least your wife knows where you are when you are upstairs playing trains!

• 1 month later...

So......shopping, new hair do, do I look good in this ( and what's wrong with these shoes?), have you done this, have you finished the wallpapering yet, mother-in-law is coming to stay for the week, has the dog been out ?

Need I say more!!!

Happy modelling chaps.........from one who knows.......been there done that, now it's when I want to how I want to and where I want to

Happy days ( no offence intended )

As I understand it second wives are much more approving of model railways as a hobby than first wives, very smart first wives are happy to know where their husbands are.

I don't intend to find out

I find satisfying my modelling needs can be financially restrictive.

A divorce settlement and starting a 'new life' could seriously damage my modelling health.

Brian R

.................................. She did got to Warley with me once that was enough for her, ......................

My wife likes wildlife programmes - the rush from the recently opened Warley doors to the Bachmann stand would allow her to witness a herd of Wildebeeste  stampeding across the veldt to avoid a pride of lions - without travelling to Africa !

Edited by br2975

Mrs WS actually booked some tickets for us and the girls to go and see some examples of modelling this week. Amazing!

Not railway modelling though but the Harry Potter Studio Tour. Actually it was amazing!

Can thoroughly recommend it. Perhaps this is a gentle entry for wives and girlfriends into the miniature worlds we inhabit at times.

• Like 1

I've never been married..Is that cos I understand women or cos they understand me? :D : :P

Never the train shall meet .....

Ooops,'twain'..

You/we have to have been married to understand just how little you/we understand women,

.... then again, how little they understand each other too.

After three marriages, I decided that it was easier to mention the hobby after a (relatively short) while to my current wife. She has become more accepting of it especially as she knows some of the members of the club I belong to. She has even threatened to help out at our show one year!

It also helps that I talk to her about the layout (not sure if the interest is sincere or not), but when I buy something new, she usually knows, in the same way as I remind her that Imelda Marcos is the only woman with more shoes in her collection as another empty shoe box comes my way.

I suppose that you have to think about whether or not a relationship is worthwhile when you are left considering which is better: the warmth of the "matrimonial" bed or getting up early to fix part of a layout, just prior to the next exhibition...

................... after 35 years of tolerating my hobby .............................

That's all my wife does - "tolerates my hobby"

But now I have grandsons; so today we went to where I started trainspotting, Ely (Main Line) to watch a pair of Black 5s, then into Cardiff Queen St. on "blue diesel train" (anything ATW when you're just under 4 years of age), where they were excited to see "red diesel train" aka EWS Cl.66

Amazingly they can tell you a Deltic, Western, Class 20, Class 37 etc and even differentiate between British and American locos

All in under four years, whereas the wife knows as much now, as she did when we first met 40 years ago !

Brian R

• Like 3

I have been very lucky as my wife has shown a real understanding of my interests. She lost her steam train "virginity" on our first Valentines Day when I took her on the GCR dining special. When we drove up Great Central Road and she saw the train, lit with just the table lamps her first response was "wow". I knew then we were onto a winner. Incidently the following year I proposed to her on Loughborough Central station before we travelled on an evening Christmas dining train. We have since done several other evening diners and she has accompanied me on many a preserved railway outing.

She has also shown an amazing understanding whilst my exhibition layout was under construction. It spent many months under construction in our front room. Now as we stay in our interim accomodation prior to moving into our new build my other layout is residing and operational, at her suggestion, in the front room.

If that is not enough she has also "suggested" I construct a G scale model in our new garden for our daughter to enjoy.

• Like 4

When my wife laughs at my trains...

I just remind her I fly jets, have two passports, and shoot guns.....I'm a fat version of James Bond , that's my cool side that should balance my nerdomongus side....

One thing I have noticed about model railways after being in Australia for some years now, is how it is more excepted by women here (over England) of all ages and there are many who get involved in helping or even running their own layouts.

You see young families at exhibitions where mum is just as keen as dad on explaining to the kids what's going on. :)