Ideas for Dave and his team.....

mark alden

I agree that an N gauge Castle would be superb. The 4000 gallon collett tender drive is already available. Also, once the Bulleid pacifics are released, the GWR will be the only one of the big-4 with no express passenger locos to modern standards.

For something a bit different, how about the big Churchward 4700s? Big, handsome locos. New build currently underway at Didcot. Also uses 4000 gallon collett tender drive. Could be made in both N and 00 gauge.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the models on this list could be done by Farish, Bachmann, Hornby etc and we'd all be just as happy.

Similarly it's not unreasonable to expect that models done by Dapol in one scale will be repeated in others. I'd be very suprised if the class 121 or 122 didn't get done in O Gauge for example and the class 59 may well get done in OO.

Wouldn't it be more productive to suggest what Dapol could do with what's already in their catalogue? New wagon bodies for existing chassis, minor changes to locos to produce a different class etc.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Dapol Daves got plans taking us to 2015 maybe not complete or final plans but the ball is already rolling so anything here is unlikely to get an airing until 2016 and puts paid to those wishing for something here and expecting it in the "near" future.

I would just enjoy what weve got now.  I have a few ideas I would like Dave to consider but dont see any merit posting them here at this particular time.

Maybe it would be better coming from Dave when he is ready to invite us to post our thoughts say if they have another production slot become available and need something sharpish.....? 

He may have specific areas in which they dont want to go or vice versa otherwise we could be scratching around creating another 1500 post thread leading nowhere and I for one have already had a bellyfull of that on the Hornby thread.

Regarding the prevalent themes in the Hornby thread and considering Dapol's endeavours in the next few years, might it be that both companies settle into parts of the market that satisfy their own (and our?) volume/quality/price expectations. That is to say smaller volume, higher spec models for those who want them (and/or can afford them). Whilst some may feel unhappy about any potential duplication, the new Westerns (and the story behind the model's development - other westerns are available!) may point in this direction.

I believe that some subjects lend themselves to the low volume high spec. serious enthusiasts approach. I, for one, would probably like to have seen the Gresley P2 done this way but for some reason happily accept a more mainstream "Duke".

Of course this thread is about Dapol's future plans, not Hornby's but to want extent should that be seen in isolation? Would Dapol be happy to exist in a seperate bubble at the top end of the RTR market? and can we collectively support it if it did?

It may well be a few years before we really see anything suggesting a trend.

RP

• RMweb Gold

Decent boxes for their coaches, the present ones are rubbish

Rubbish? Or not as good as they could be? There is a world of difference between constructive & helpful criticism, and unhelpful, sometimes derisory comments.

Taking on board the larger picture, I see that Dapol are actually inclined to listen to helpful comments. Something that is a rare thing in this day & age.

Regards,

Ian

How about a Great Western Grange? depending on how you look at them they are a hall with manor wheels, or a Manor with a Hall boiler, and Dapol have now produced both, so comparatively little would need doing to make one.

Having said that, Dapol have mounted an outright assault on my wallet over the past 18 months with no sign of let up, so maybe I should keep quiet...... 

Please please please, can you rip into the 1st generation DMU Fleet,

100, 103,104, 114,115, 117.118.120, 123, 124.

Come on, knock out 10k of each class, I guarantee I will buy 1 of each set.

I must have sold it too you ???

This all sounds lovely but the big question is will any models come with moulded handrails? :jester:

I see the funny side in this comment, but I think I should nail my colours to the flag here.

This 'design clever' is not something I wish to do with Dapol models.

I see a market for loco's like the Western in quality and detail, which stand above moulded handrails and details as such in the market place.

I see Dapol doing this as a retrograde step, and the phrase 'not on my watch' springs to mind.

Dapols 'design clever' exists however, allowing us to produce different front, roof and sides to loco's that need them (where the return is potentially viable', like the class 22, Beattie well tank etc, and still keep detail up to expected standards. It's simply called thinking ahead. :-)

Overcast in Tokyo today:-(

Still nice and warm in the arena tonight. I wonder if Pete is jealous? Lol

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I see the funny side in this comment, but I think I should nail my colours to the flag here.

This 'design clever' is not something I wish to do with Dapol models.

I see a market for loco's like the Western in quality and detail, which stand above moulded handrails and details as such in the market place.

I see Dapol doing this as a retrograde step, and the phrase 'not on my watch' springs to mind.

Dapols 'design clever' exists however, allowing us to produce different front, roof and sides to loco's that need them (where the return is potentially viable', like the class 22, Beattie well tank etc, and still keep detail up to expected standards. It's simply called thinking ahead. :-)

Overcast in Tokyo today:-(

Still nice and warm in the arena tonight. I wonder if Pete is jealous? Lol

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you're having a good time in Japan. :D

Sorry-No offence aimed at Dapol. More a reference to the Hornby thread that has been going on arguing about the rights or wrongs of moulded handrails amongst other things. ;)

However, it's good to hear you mention the points about Dapol's design ethos.  Personally, I think like others this is an exciting time for Dapol with the new products in the pipeline and I wish you continued success.

Keep enjoying your time away as well. :D

Cheers,

Mark

The only thing I wish that Dapol do is to keep a couple of months between the 50, 59, 52 and 22. So that I can buy them without having to sell organs on the black market to fund them.

oh and have a major redesign on the Siphon bogies as on the 'G' there is a scale 10 foot jump between the corridor connectors. Not so much of a problem for me anymore as I have changed the couplings, but they did look terrible.

Alistair

I`m not going to wish list, but the way Dapol work (actually, all the model makers at the mo), with limited numbers in each batch, anybody suggest a model with maximum liveries with minimum detail changes required?

I was thinking when someone suggested the 59 in 00, with minimal differences you have the different front end lights, then the liveries. Original FY, ARC, NP, EWS, DBS, and the different mendip rail colours they have worn. Of corse, you would have to goto a standard that exceeded that of pugseys model.

Another was the PEP derived stock, with the different molding sections you have the 313, 314, 315, 507 and 508. How many different liveries would that lot have carried in their lives?

So, don`t just say "I would want a xxx because it`s missing from my layout", sugest something that will get maximum bang/veriaties for there buck.

Unluckly, that means the NER/NBR etc 0-6-0 is unlikely as to how many different versions of black would it have carried?

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to see a model of the bogie hopper wagons covering both the ICI (Peak District) and Summers (Wirral) versions to be produced in N and OO. A N scale book set featuring a weathered 9F with John Summers bogie hoppers could be brought out.

Hi from Japan everyone,

Well this turned into a wish list quite quickly didn't it? Lol

Anyway, I'm not going to confirm or deny anything except yes I have my plans laid until 2015 at he moment.

However, ones I won't be touching as I understand others are apparently (look out for announcements soon) include,

In N gauge an N15

In 009 a Manning Wardle

In OO gauge Sarah Siddons, and Underground stock with an 84 soon after (unless that changes due to poor electric sales)

Remember you read it here first. Dave, first with the news! (Until the egg appears on his face that is) lol

Cheers

Dave

Does that mean the manufacturers are all in collusion, or at least have their own forum for unfounded rumours and wind-ups...?

Guest tony graham

I would love to see a decent 87, the current Farish one is naff compared to the quality of the 86 that Dave and team have produced. Possibly a Cl 185 or even a Cl 180 ?

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to see the 92, which has still not been formally cancelled or 'put on the back burner' and yet any question about it, or indeed direct email, is conveniently ignored!

No doubt if I ever forked out for CJM one, the Dapol version would appear. I do think such aloof comms can be detrimental at times.

Hi njee20,

I can confirm that I have never received a direct e-mail from you on the subject of the class 92, or a PM here or even a phone call.

However just to confirm that I have not dropped the class 92 project but it is back burnered due to the simple fact that overhead loco's and EMUs are atrocious sellers in N gauge with 3rd rail looking to match overhead closely in poor sales.

I cannot let us get into a position of throwing money at a project that could end up with Dapol a)sitting on dead stock and b) never making its outlay back.

The second point is really prevalent as the 86 has only recently "washed its face" in that department.

Sorry that you think your being conveniently ignored.

Cheers

Dave

Archived