Ideas for Dave and his team.....

mark alden

Hi 298,

You will find that although we don't know exactly what each of us are doing, model wise, we do talk, hear rumours and most of all hear from "factories" within China who are not entirely 'secure' with information.

I'll take the brickbats in 2-3 months if I'm wrong, don't worry.

However I did tell a knowing few on here last year about the Farish class 20 and the standard 5 and City of Truro, so at least I'm on a 100% on my mystic meg predictions, which must be a pointer to my accuracy in reading the tea leaves. :-)

Cheers

Dave

A Manning Wardle in any scale, and the forthcoming O gauge Terrier in plain black for all those light railway shunting planks which are likely to appear in 7mm in the next year or two.

If you scan back to Dave's post of 11th Jan you will see he predicts a 4mm Manning Wardle being available from 'someone' in the near future and it shouldn't be hard to bring a BR black Terrier to plain black with a bit of gentle T-cutting..........................

• RMweb Premium

Good man! Thanks Dave. I have emailed twice, although I know the first one went via Joel (IIRC).

Appreciate the response. I'd rather know something isn't going to happen rather than being an unknown, and I'm sure others agree.

If you scan back to Dave's post of 11th Jan you will see he predicts a 4mm Manning Wardle being available from 'someone' in the near future and it shouldn't be hard to bring a BR black Terrier to plain black with a bit of gentle T-cutting..........................

Whoops... I completely misread Dave's post.....!

Stepping aside from the wishlisting, I would have thought a nice, possibly even obvious follow on from the excellent news that the Bubble Cars are being upsized to OO would be a three car suburban dmu (probably after an O gauge bubble).  The news the driving trailer is being tooled up points towards a suitable DMS body being there and the DMBS car would be a relatively easy move from the Bubble.  With a trailer chassis available from the Bubble car DTS it's really down to a body moulding and some detail parts as the new design elements, so perhaps a relatively easy stretch.

Intrigued by the crystal ball gazing/Chinese whispers.  Especially intrigued by the 84 reference - but it is an NRM loco...

The 84 ticks the boxes as a popular but unexpected AC when everyone thought the next subject would be an 81. There is also the possibility of producing the RTC Loadbank, but the extra frills might need a major change to the mould or a bit of "clever design" to print them on.

84001 is a NRM loco but not exactly a high profile one, and there must be other more popular subjects to consider first...

84001 is a NRM loco but not exactly a high profile one, and there must be other more popular subjects to consider first...

We're straying off topic but I'm inclined to agree that the 84 wouldn't be first on my or many other lists of likely next AC electric candidates - but, flipping the argument, and not looking at it from a narrow NRM sponsored position, if Barwell themselves have decided to take the plunge and have another go at an AC electric, but say wanted to avoid the potentially more obvious 86 in case Heljan put out a few more, you'd be looking at one of the classes 81 to 84 - and at least the 84 does have the possibility of an NRM tie-in, obscure and less popular notwithstanding.

I'm sure the NRM would prefer to keep shelling out pretty kettles, perhaps Bachmann (we assume, if Dapol Dave's intelligence network is up to scratch) want another go at an AC class and have selected one that just happens to be an NRM subject, a sort of "market clever" (sic) approach.

All good rumour-fed speculation.

• 2 months later...

Since you seem to be in the know, Dave, any plans from any of the manufacturers to release an N gauge RTR breakdown crane?  I know it's a longshot, but the only option other than scratchbuilding in N that I've seen is the Fleetline whitemetal kits, and those are, frankly, utter crap.

Also, does Dapol have a distributor in the U.S.?  Or should I just order direct?  I suppose I chose the second-hardest subject to model that I could, given my living in the Midwest.

Do Dapol still have any relationship with Ixion?

If so, 4mm and 2mm Hudswell Clarke tanks might benefit from existing CAD work.

Hornby have set a precedent with their generic sentinel industrial diesel, whilst the Dapol steam sentinel might be considered as 'industrial', what about a good old four or six coupled saddle tank! Just think of the special commissions that could generate Dave!

N

Do Dapol still have any relationship with Ixion?

If so, 4mm and 2mm Hudswell Clarke tanks might benefit from existing CAD work.

Hornby have set a precedent with their generic sentinel industrial diesel, whilst the Dapol steam sentinel might be considered as 'industrial', what about a good old four or six coupled saddle tank! Just think of the special commissions that could generate Dave!

N

Neal,

Ixion has no connection with Dapol. We do not use Dapol for any of our products. Indeed, now that we are working on our fourth independent 7mm scale model, we would consider commissions.

We are frequently asked about the possibility of reducing the Hudswell Clarke from 7mm scale to 4mm scale.  The process is not simple and does not yield large costs savings as the most expensive part of the process is the manufacturing of the tools and new tools will be required for the smaller scale. The business model is also different. In 4mm scale. We would need to manufacture and sell several thousand models to guarantee a return. We will be watching with interest the progress of Hornby's Sentinel diesel. 

Regards,

Chris Klein

Perhaps that was the wrong turn of phrase, I meant a model that could be produced in a number of liveries from independent operators.

Wouldn't put it past Hornby to produce some fictitious ones, although I think we won't see this model given away with Collectors Club memberships.

Thanks for the feedback from Ixion Chris. My recollection was that the N-gauge manor had a Dapol, tie-up. Perhaps I was mistaken. Sorely tempted to change scale with your Hudswell Clarke model, must resist!

N

Perhaps that was the wrong turn of phrase, I meant a model that could be produced in a number of liveries from independent operators.

Wouldn't put it past Hornby to produce some fictitious ones, although I think we won't see this model given away with Collectors Club memberships.

Thanks for the feedback from Ixion Chris. My recollection was that the N-gauge manor had a Dapol, tie-up. Perhaps I was mistaken. Sorely tempted to change scale with your Hudswell Clarke model, must resist!

N

Hi Neal,  I think you may find that the Ixion Manor was sold to Dapol and that is where the connection is.  I must admit I can see a small 'industrial O' plank looming in my future plans too! :mail:

Not sure if mentioned here before but how about a 00 Gauge Class 58 but to Dapol standards and correcting all the errors on the Heljan model. Also if possible in the European liveries as well as the pre privatisation liveries please.

Please consider offering the Maunsell N scale coaches in sets, numbered accordingly. An authentic rake needs 3 cars minimum and it would ensure a complete set could be purchased at once. You know it makes marketing sense....;O))) 

Oh, and any news on the 33s please?

Gerry

I don’t normally approve of these “wish list” postings and there is no way you would get me to contribute, (long pause), however if I ever should express an interest, I would vote for the Southern’s premier electric locomotive class in 00. I refer to the “Hornby”, the third rail DC and overhead locos. Originally numbered CC1 & CC2, then to become 20001 to 20003.
Two difference styles of cabs with six different liveries. Grey with white speed whisker stripes, Malachite green with straight yellow stripes, Light Blue, Black, Green and finally Corporate Blue with full yellow ends.
I live in hope etc, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

N gauge Baby Deltic anyone? Plenty of variations as demonstrated by Heljan in OO. Judging by the apparent great response to the 22, the equally ''obscure'' 23 must be a good bet; I'd have a couple for sure. The 28 would be great too but contributed to the downfall of Hornby Dublo, so who's going to be brave enough to do that?

Please consider offering the Maunsell N scale coaches in sets, numbered accordingly. An authentic rake needs 3 cars minimum and it would ensure a complete set could be purchased at once. You know it makes marketing sense....;O))) 

Gerry

+1

Any chance of another run of M7's? Prehaps with a reworked chassis?

Archived