Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium

It's not a case of a remedy being required, it's just my inherent stubbornness to get the loco as close to the real thing as possible, so the lack of relief in the the printed letters and numbers is not an issue that needs correcting, merely enhancing if that is what is required by the owner. I would try the masking tape method, but my main concern is that the printed letters and numbers may be slightly oversize. Couple this with my need to have the first boiler band sliced through (something where I'm only happy to have TMC do it) I may as well let them do the rest as it all falls under one price bracket. The only item I can see from photos that needs correcting on No.10 is the top lamp iron, and that will be done by myself in due course

You know, Blackout, there's no need to hack at the boiler band. Etched A4 nameplates are too thin compared to the prototype, so they need backing with plasticard anyway. I use the black stuff that comes with Fox plates - not sure if it's 15thou or 20 - and then simply file a groove in that rather than in the boiler band. The result is more realistic and doesn't damage the model.

Mick is very brave putting etchings on with superglue - hats off to him, it obviously works judging by the photo. I'd use satin varnish myself.

Having been to the museum yesterday. It looks that they have done the model based on the one in the NRM as it is now. The silver strip is higher than it was back when it carried the livery back then when pictures show it level with the engine silver strip. So to be fair with Hornby they have only done the model as it is now.

I guess that be the reason why Hornby did it the models as they did as they didn't take that in to account. I presume they went by pictures of it when doing the paint job.

Sorrry Hornby put it there as the Tender underframe would have to had new tooling to put the strip under the Soleplate not above it as per the Hornby versions e.g Sir Nigel Gresley version.

On Canada they have simply put a silver line on the edge of the Soleplate . The current Canada is also wrong it should have Chromed handrails. Difffernt whistle as well.

You can see in this photo, the Tender sides have been extended downwards on which the strip is carried. Normal A4 tenders finish in line with the area of Black paint below the handrail.

post-7186-0-68367700-1389365388.jpg

Woh, I'm jumping to Hornby's defence here.

1) the strip is painted on the edge of the chassis top. Given tooling limitations, this is the best Hornby could have done. Had they added plating below this top, (or actually half way on half way off judging by the thickness, and then painted the remaining edge blue, there would have been an unsightly join line within the body colour, which would have looked silly. I'm in full support of HRN's compromise.

2) Dominion of Canada's handrails are body coloured, not chromed, so again Hornby is correct.

DoC is one of the best Great Gathering models. Aside from the incorrect top lamp iron (too high, but correct for her 1937 condition), the only real improvement would be reducing the weight of the tender typeface, and slight changes to size and position of the cabside crest.

Whistle is odd, they have used a standard chime whistle. But something the modeller can easily fix.

No idea where you can get an CanPac whistle, but I'd guess a jewler would be willing to knock one up for you if you give dimensions or a photograph! Again, would have been nice, but there are bigger issues in this collection to sort than the whistle - I'd rather source a whistle than repaint an entire front end as is necessary if repositioning lamp iron or smokebox BR numberplate....

Dominion of Canada as she in 2013 HAS PAINTED HANDRAILS, therefore Hornby model, is correct in this respect

conclusive

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25459770@N03/8882368158/

New (minus bell) - with burnished handrails ANDtyres

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayEcopies&lang=eng&rec_nbr=3353773&title=Dominion+of+Canada+engine+No.+4489+-+Lehigh+%26+New+England+Railway.+&ecopy=e010861980-v8

With bell, maroon tyres, still burnished boiler handrails

http://www.britishsteam.com/lner/A4/image/60010a.jpg

Picture on p.26 of Macintosh 'Mallard and the A4 Class' also shows clearly polished handrails

Question is then why did the NRM paint her handrails blue? This is the error!

I'd also ask why the front screwlink is painted silver, rather than burnished to the same standard as Mallard's coupling.

Thast a shame I thought you had a source for the whistle !!

No sorry, but in all honesty I haven't phoned or searched around.

My argument is that the correct whistle is achievable and is a minor detail which can be isolated and changed, in comparison to other details

Everyone seems to be forgetting a glaringly obvious fact as to why 4489's handrails are painted garter blue - the boiler is lagged with asbestos.

As out-shopped in 1937, she had stainless steel handrails, which were replaced with regular handrails at some point in her operating career. The latter is what she is fitted with now. The team at Shildon weighed up the options of either painting the handrails silver, painting them garter blue or footing the bill to remove all of the asbestos lagging to fit new handrails.

They elected against painting them silver as it would not have achieved the desired effect - proven by the silver painted front coupling of which I have heard a number of grumbles. 

The decision to not fit new handrails was simple - the cost of the new stainless steel handrails would have been illogical by itself, not to mention the cost to remove all of the asbestos in the boiler to allow removal of the handrails. The process of removing a small patch to fit the bell and single chimney was expensive enough as it was.

The option of painting the current handrails garter blue was cost effective and aesthetically pleasing. 

Also of note, the spectacle plates have not been re-plated on 4489 and individual cylinder cock pipes have not been fitted for the middle cylinder. That would have required  further modification of the bogie.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry all the Coronation A4's had Chrome handrails unless you can prove otherwise ? RCTS says so, so do other sources.

Not being funny, look at the posted photo. While it may be the case that in LNER days the handrails were Chrome, the NRM restoration has them painted blue and thus Hornby are correct. Remember the Great Gathering set is meant to show the A4s in the condition as seen at the NRM event.

Not being funny, look at the posted photo. While it may be the case that in LNER days the handrails were Chrome, the NRM restoration has them painted blue and thus Hornby are correct. Remember the Great Gathering set is meant to show the A4s in the condition as seen at the NRM event.

That is my thought as well. 

Black out I thought that he asbestos was removed in the uk... There were photos of both the DoC and DDE with doors taped. May be it was just a partial removal of the asbestos. I bow to others knowledge on this one!

This commission will shortly be winging it's way to '2750' for his Dominion of Canada. Sorry for the photo quality as it's the best my camera can manage, but I hope they're clear enough to give a good impression. I'm sure Tom will post some much better images when he has the locomotive completed.

post-7607-0-66635400-1389538921_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-87033800-1389538869_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-95976300-1389538983_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-15037400-1389539058_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-12494000-1389539011_thumb.jpg

The bell is a GWR KGV version which retains only the bell with modified lip and top bracket. All the rest is scratch built in plasticard, brass and nickel steel, and includes the operating mechanism and clapper. The whistle is scratch built in brass and evergreen plastic tube and includes the five stepped chambers and operating mechanism.

Having done two of these, I don't think I'll be doing any more. They will hopefully be good enough to pass muster from normal viewing distance on a moving loco!

Cheers,

Mike

Anyone noticed that the 'open-close' white markings for the cods mouth on Mallard and Bittern are only printed on the left hand side of each model. They've been missed off on the right.

More surprising given that DoC (correctly) has them on both sides, so it is technically possible and the factory can do it...

This commission will shortly be winging it's way to '2750' for his Dominion of Canada. Sorry for the photo quality as it's the best my camera can manage, but I hope they're clear enough to give a good impression. I'm sure Tom will post some much better images when he has the locomotive completed.

attachicon.gifDOC Bell and whistle 003.JPG

attachicon.gifDOC Bell and whistle 002.JPG

attachicon.gifDOC Bell and whistle 004.JPG

attachicon.gifDOC Bell and whistle 013.JPG

attachicon.gifDOC Bell and whistle 011.JPG

The bell is a GWR KGV version which retains only the bell with modified lip and top bracket. All the rest is scratch built in plasticard, brass and nickel steel, and includes the operating mechanism and clapper. The whistle is scratch built in brass and evergreen plastic tube and includes the five stepped chambers and operating mechanism.

Having done two of these, I don't think I'll be doing any more. They will hopefully be good enough to pass muster from normal viewing distance on a moving loco!

Cheers,

Mike

Top work and many thanks once again Mike. My 4489 is currently having a rest while I do some weathering commissions.

Looks the dogs whatsits to me! :)

Don't Hornby produce a drawing and a spec in Margate defining the exact size, font, style and location of lettering etc?

I can only assume production pressure forces them to accept these errors.

Looking at completed listings on Ebay, at least two people have paid £1500 for a set. £250 per model is a bit steep!

Wonderland models are still advertising all six at full price of £169.99. Still don't know if my order for DOC at £153 yesterday was successful.

Hi

I am sorry but Hornby had a long time to sort this out, so I do not see why they where forced to accept these errors.

I was in my local model railways shop the other week and the chap told me he had sold a few of these, The thing was by the time he had got the certificates off Hornby, it was to late for him to give them to the customers that had brought them and he has no way of finding them, unless they came back in again!.

Archived