Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

Yes I've received that email too.

As I'm modelling the ECML in the summer of 1938, I'm going to need a lot of Great Snipes for renumbering to produce the single chimney non corridor variant.

Thank you for your posts, I can see that the tender moulding defect seems to have affected other batches of the GG. Hornby has failed to respond up to now. I am seriously considering sending the lot back to the retailer for a refund as some have suggested, all the locos are back in their boxes, without running once on my layout. Very disappointed with Hornby quality control and customer care.

What is the code in the white panel on the back of the box?

CHRIS LEIGH

Would you be referring to the loco R code for the Great Snipe Chris?

If so it's R3131

• RMweb Gold

I think Chris is referring to the white sticker that appears on the outer sleeve and on the Operating & Maintenance Instructions. In the case of my Bittern (R3199) it's:

REF01-90370

R3199-43-979      and the same for R3197 DOC, 

On Mallard it's

REF01-90370

R3196-30-979

On Dwight Eisenhower it's

REF01-90370

R3200-45-979    and the same for R3198 South Africa and R3201 Sir Nigel Gresley

I've often wondered what these numbers mean. If they are the numbers that Chris was looking for maybe he can explain what they mean. I know that LGB had a similar numbering system from which you could ascertain the date of manufacture.

Keith

I know one 'should have to spend additional money', but complete spare tender chassis, or tender frames minus wheels are available from spares dealers.

It sounds to me like the sprue has been trimmed incorrectly in the factory, although without seeing the tooling it is difficult to know exactly what is going on.

I think Chris is referring to the white sticker that appears on the outer sleeve and on the Operating & Maintenance Instructions. In the case of my Bittern (R3199) it's:

REF01-90370

R3199-43-979      and the same for R3197 DOC, 

On Mallard it's

REF01-90370

R3196-30-979

On Dwight Eisenhower it's

REF01-90370

R3200-45-979    and the same for R3198 South Africa and R3201 Sir Nigel Gresley

I've often wondered what these numbers mean. If they are the numbers that Chris was looking for maybe he can explain what they mean. I know that LGB had a similar numbering system from which you could ascertain the date of manufacture.

Keith

Yes, those are the exact same numbers on my GG  boxes also.

It means they are manufactured by Refined Industries (surely a misnomer!) for Hornby, rather than Sanda Kan. Where the reference would start SK.

IMHO design clever was driven by the inability of Refined to initially produce models to the same standard as Sanda Kan, not a cost saving excercise as expounded by Hornby. As Refined's experience grows, the detail will come back. Smoke box darts and handrails etc, this is already starting to happen.

The lure of the cash cow of another batch of A4's has made Hornby use Refined for a high end product that they simply can't produce yet.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

This manufacturing code issue is interesting, in that surely it implies some tooling had already been moved from Kader/Sanda Kan to Refined Industries before the announcement that production of Hornby models by SK would cease at the end of July and that Hornby had paid to secure access to all the tooling held by SK. BTW, the latest Van Bs are also marked REF... whereas the originals were produced by SK.

This manufacturing code issue is interesting, in that surely it implies some tooling had already been moved from Kader/Sanda Kan to Refined Industries before the announcement that production of Hornby models by SK would cease at the end of July and that Hornby had paid to secure access to all the tooling held by SK. BTW, the latest Van Bs are also marked REF... whereas the originals were produced by SK.

Or does it indicate that someone thought it was worth making duplicate tools in order to get this order fulfilled? Was it a thousand GG sets, each of six locos? That's a 6,000 run without any individual or standard range models. With the certainty that you'll always want 'A4s' in the catalogue, that's a figure that justifies tooling up. With regard to the codes, some of the wagons carry the RE code (for Regal, I'm told)

CHRIS LEIGH

Really, duplicate tools? not just loco body tools, but the chassis, valve-gear, wheels, cylinders...... All with complete backward compatibility with previous parts (unless new part numbers were issued).

Would it not be more correct to say that the A4 was a relatively early 'new model' from about 2005. Might the ownership of these tools be different compared with later tools?

• RMweb Premium

Or does it indicate that someone thought it was worth making duplicate tools in order to get this order fulfilled? Was it a thousand GG sets, each of six locos? That's a 6,000 run without any individual or standard range models. With the certainty that you'll always want 'A4s' in the catalogue, that's a figure that justifies tooling up. With regard to the codes, some of the wagons carry the RE code (for Regal, I'm told)

CHRIS LEIGH

I could understand for the A4, but surely Van B sales don't generate sufficient profits to justify a second set of tools and as I said the latest versions (I have the BR Blue one) are also coded REF on the boxes, which to me suggests that the tooling has already moved from SK to Refined.

I know one 'should have to spend additional money', but complete spare tender chassis, or tender frames minus wheels are available from spares dealers.

It sounds to me like the sprue has been trimmed incorrectly in the factory, although without seeing the tooling it is difficult to know exactly what is going on.

From the photo, it looks to me that a tool's slides which need to move to release a moulded feature, such as a body retaining hook, has not closed fully to its design position.

The Nim.

Or does it indicate that someone thought it was worth making duplicate tools in order to get this order fulfilled?

Tools reveal their 'personalities' in the random surface markings particularly where cosmetics don't matter, i.e. on the inside surfaces. We need a moderate gathering of model A4 owners willing to take the lids off their A4s and compare the inside surfaces!

The Nim.

(This could get a bit like enumerating differences in Beatles singles pressings. And did you realise that Polydor matrix numbers reveal the particular lathe that cut the original laquer? You don't need a train to be a train-spotter!)

Really, duplicate tools? not just loco body tools, but the chassis, valve-gear, wheels, cylinders...... All with complete backward compatibility with previous parts (unless new part numbers were issued).

Would it not be more correct to say that the A4 was a relatively early 'new model' from about 2005. Might the ownership of these tools be different compared with later tools?

Not saying it IS so but just posing the question. There was big money at stake with the GG sets - at £999 retail for 1,000 sets a lot of bottom lines would have taken quite a hit if those models had not been delivered. As it was, it was a close-run thing.

Tools reveal their 'personalities' in the random surface markings particularly where cosmetics don't matter, i.e. on the inside surfaces. We need a moderate gathering of model A4 owners willing to take the lids off their A4s and compare the inside surfaces!

The Nim.

(This could get a bit like enumerating differences in Beatles singles pressings. And did you realise that Polydor matrix numbers reveal the particular lathe that cut the original laquer? You don't need a train to be a train-spotter!)

This thread may need to move to collectable/vintage if there's any more talk of batch numbers and tool variations. And don't get me going on identifying record pressings.... :no:   

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's have announced a payment to SK to complete outstanding work and release the tools they currently hold in July.

That surely doesn't imply either that some older tools (such as the A4) haven't already been transferred elsewhere or that recent new tooling (like the Van B is necessarily owned by SK/Kader.

What happened in the past with ex-Airfix/Mainline tooling being used to produce models under Bachmann, Dapol, Replica and Hornby branding suggests that such transactions are anything but straightforward.

John

Ah, but which spare would you order?

All the GG A4's have the sound fitted tender chassis moulding, hence the plug and socket, different drawbar and DCC socket in the tender.

This moulding seems to have a thinner top edge than the original and seems to flex more as well.

I've just received an email from Hattons, to tell me my two Great Snipes are being processed, so they must have arrived in Liverpool.

Archived