Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

They're a panoramic postcard size, coloured on one side in a similar style to the cabinet vouchers, and the other side plain white.  I bought my Great Gathering set from Hornby, and they came in a buff A5 envelope at the bottom of the box the 6 locos shipped in.

Thanks, starting to panic now.

I bought via Gaugemaster who sent certificates out afteerwards, i know I should have put them in box when they arrived.

Do you know rough size as panoramic could be anything?

I'm guessing guessing 8 x 4 (200mm x 100mm)

has anyone else sent their vouchers off without numbers?

Colin

Hattons have just cancelled my Great Goodbye order. Despite assuring me when I placed the order (the first day they were taking them) that I was either first or second on their list!

Again I have placed multiple orders (and just as well), but this is worrying

Maybe I should have got the Great Gathering when I had the chance...

Hornby emailed out a day or two ago to say that the Great Goodbye collection would only be sold together as a set of 6 locos and direct from Hornby only - phone lines open tomorrow morning. The email included the following text - yet another blow for model shops.

"How to order...

These 'Great Goodbye' sets will be sold by telephone only. The order line will open at 9am on Sunday 30th March.

Telephone Order Line - 01843 233519

Please note that when you call this number you will be placed in a queue. Calls will be answered on a first-come, first-served basis. Telephone lines will not be opened until 9am. Please do not call before this time or your call will not be connected.

Lines are expected to be very busy so please persist if you hear an engaged tone as this will mean that the queue is temporarily full.

Once all of the available sets are sold the telephone order line will be closed.

The cost of this set of six locomotives is £999.99. Details on how to order 'The Great Goodbye' display cabinet will be included with each model - a £20 delivery charge will apply to cabinet orders (offer applies to UK mainland only).

There is a maximum of one set per customer. These models are only available to UK callers. Orders will be despatched on Monday 31st March."

Johnpeter3

Hattons have just cancelled my Great Goodbye order. Despite assuring me when I placed the order (the first day they were taking them) that I was either first or second on their list!

Again I have placed multiple orders (and just as well), but this is worrying

Maybe I should have got the Great Gathering when I had the chance...

I tried ordering the Great Gathering and managed to get a Dominiuon of Canada and when asking Hattons about the others they said they would transfer the Great Goodbye models to replace the Gathering ones apart from Dominion. Then yesterday I like you got the email saying they've cancelled my Goodbye models as well.

Oh well. I'll get the Corgi moidels (although its a shame that Dominion doesn't have its bell on that model but would have been difficult to tweak the mould for it).

Just hoping I get my P2 now.

Hornby emailed out a day or two ago to say that the Great Goodbye collection would only be sold together as a set of 6 locos and direct from Hornby only - phone lines open tomorrow morning. The email included the following text - yet another blow for model shops.

Also got this email, but thanks for that.

It is by chance that I had signed up to the Hornby mailing list. Had I not, and had I not been on here, I wouldn't know this and would have relied on my retailer to tell me.

Hattons to their credit did suggest trying other retailers in their cancellation email (in contrast to their usual 'this product is now discontinued'), but did not say contact Hornby directly.

Guest spet0114

Just had my Great Goodbye 'Bittern' order cancelled by Hattons.

Seriously annoyed now. :(

If it turns out that (as per johnpeter3's post) this is due to Hornby (and only Hornby) selling only sets of six (despite them having individual R-numbers), then they can kiss goodbye to any further business from me. They seem to be taking every opportunity going to p*ss their customers off.

Anyone got a Great Gathering 'Bittern' to sell?

Cheers
Adrian

Somewhat naughty, as there will be supplies available from those retailers who have ordered these sets. However, we have no idea when these will be delivered to us.

As with the the Great Gathering, I believe that retailers are severely limited as to how many sets they will be supplied with, but in my case, the rep. made this very clear as the point of ordering.

Somewhat naughty, as there will be supplies available from those retailers who have ordered these sets. However, we have no idea when these will be delivered to us.

As with the the Great Gathering, I believe that retailers are severely limited as to how many sets they will be supplied with, but in my case, the rep. made this very clear as the point of ordering.

But will there be supplies? One retailer I spoke to, who checked his Hornby order as I was on the phone, said his number of Great Goodbye sets had gone down from X (small positive integer that he was promised, the first of which he had promised me) to Zero since Hornby's new arrangements were announced. This would IMPLY that Hornby have scrubbed previously promised orders...

87029 you might want to check your online account in light of this...

I also had my SNG order canceled. Hopefully this is just a Great Goodbye phenomena and my other pre orders are safe. Can't say I trust Hornby much right now though.

OK, at long last, no more shilly shallying, ordered.

Would have liked to use my preferred retailer, but in the end it was a case of not willing to risk it.

Not hugely happy with Hornby's behaviour over the whole affair. I hope this is just a blip during tough times.

Putting 2+2 together, Sunday 30 March (cost of bringing staff in at weekend), with dispatch on Monday 31st = intention to boost sales in FY2013-14.

Sadly this might mean the models have been made to a deadline and suffer the same issues as the previous release, but I'll have to bite the bullet on that and re-ship the whole lot to TMC for re-working. Ho hum...

These are very high ticket items and through direct sales. Shift 100 and that’s near enough 100k on your sales for the year…

What is less forgiving is the cloak and dagger way this clearly well-planned operation has been undertaken, and the lack of info for the retailers and customers who had ordered in good faith.

I wouldn’t be surprised if (some or all of) the models have been air-freighted in solely to enable this to occur before the end of the financial year.

Finally, this hobby is supposed to be fun. This is the single biggest item of expenditure I have ever made as regards my hobby. It was not what I would call enjoyable. Rather than excitedly going down to the model shop, anticipating, inspecting, and buying, it has been a somewhat stressful experience involving last minute emails and phone calls from retailers, followed by to-the-second initiated phonecalls to Hornby. Not what I want my hobby to be.

And they the worry of opening the box to see what collection of parts has been delivered...!

But will there be supplies? One retailer I spoke to, who checked his Hornby order as I was on the phone, said his number of Great Goodbye sets had gone down from X (small positive integer that he was promised, the first of which he had promised me) to Zero since Hornby's new arrangements were announced. This would IMPLY that Hornby have scrubbed previously promised orders...

87029 you might want to check your online account in light of this...

Just checked my online trade account, and all the sets I order are still outstanding. So no problems with what I have ordered at this time

I too had my Dominion of Canada pre-order cancelled by Hattons.  Clearly Hornby reneged on the original offer of selling each individual A4 separately.  Very despicable marketing.  Shame.

Malcolm

We retailers have had to order in sets, so we get the same amount of all locomotives. It is then up to the retailer whether he wishes to sell them as the set of 6, or 'split' them up into individual locos for sale.

With the 'Great Gathering', one customer took all 6, and 4 other customers took the remaining 6.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that each retailer was allocated 2 sets of 6. If this is the case, then there is every likelihood that Hattons may have had this ceiling put on them, which would explain why problems have arisen.

• RMweb Gold

Locomotionmodels have pre sold their original allocation but may have acquired a couple more sets. It's worth at try getting in touch with them tomorrow if anyone is having difficulty with their usual model shop.

Wrong thread.Locomotion market a Bachmann set....at least they were....and are tied in with them,rather than Hornby.

Guest spet0114
Finally, this hobby is supposed to be fun. This is the single biggest item of expenditure I have ever made as regards my hobby. It was not what I would call enjoyable. Rather than excitedly going down to the model shop, anticipating, inspecting, and buying, it has been a somewhat stressful experience involving last minute emails and phone calls from retailers, followed by to-the-second initiated phonecalls to Hornby. Not what I want my hobby to be.

And they the worry of opening the box to see what collection of parts has been delivered...!

The more I think about it, the more these two points ring true for me.

I'm sick of the rush to pre-order once a new model is announced, of getting endless emails from Hattons et al informing me of the latest delay, of opening a parcel to find that the UK postal/courier system has taken it's toll on another model or, even worse, that it left the factory with major defects that the manufacturer are unwilling or unable to rectify as no spares are available.

It's not fun at all.

The whole 'Great Goodbye' fiasco has taken it to a new level. What I'd intended as a nice momento of a day out at Locomotion has become a source of extreme dissatisfaction.

So I've "quit".

All my pre-orders have been cancelled(*). From now on, if I can't see it on the shelf of my local model shop, I won't buy it. If that means I miss out on a particular model, so be it. I really can't be bothered to worry about it.

The only exception might be situations such as the recent GCR-liveried J11 model from Bachmann via their collectors club. Here, the locos were ready to ship as soon as they were announced. Thanks to Andy Y's excellent photos, I was able to see, desire and purchase all in one morning - very satisfying.

Cheers

Adrian

* With one exception - the Bachmann H2 atlantic.

Good post Spet0114, I feel a bit like that too.

Though I only have 4 Grey Baccy Covhops on pre-order from Hattons, even these are repeatedly put back, just had another email stating April - I will wait just a bit longer & see. After that, that's it for me also- absolutely no more pre orders, if the it means I miss out, so be it. I ain't playing there game AND paying top dollar also.

It may be a "Great Goodbye" from Hornby as a company if they carry on like this.

It's certainly not a "Great, Good Buy" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Good buy bye !!

Brit14

• RMweb Premium

To be fair to Hornby, these sets, both the Gathering and Goodbye versions, have been victims of their own success. Perhaps Hornby should have foreseen this, but either way I think perhaps Hornby did the right thing by having a single 'phone line to call after a certain time until all are sold. It's fairer because in that way everyone is in the same boat and knows if they want one they have to 'phone at a certain time, rather than the uncertainty as to whether your chosen retailer will be allocated enough to sell a set to you. Had Hornby announced that they would only be sold as complete sets and by these means from the outset, would anyone have complained? After all, we don't complain about ordering Bachmann or Hornby Club limited editions direct. Of course it cuts out retailers, but how much goodwill will they have lost through no fault of their own because they have not been able to fulfill orders they expected too because they did not know how many sets they would have to sell.

It's a pity Hornby didn't think the issues through before announcing the sets, so both retailers and us as their customers knew the position from the outset.

I really can't see the point in worrying when something is going to be available. I have numerous pre-orders with Model Railways Direct and Kernows. If it arrives in the next couple of months fine, if it's next year, whats the problem. Life really is to short. If I want something I order it - it will arrive as and when it is available. The only emails I get are confirmation of the order, and the one telling me it has been dispatched.

To be fair to Hornby, these sets, both the Gathering and Goodbye versions, have been victims of their own success. 

[...]

It's a pity Hornby didn't think the issues through before announcing the sets, so both retailers and us as their customers knew the position from the outset.

Yes. The Marketing, including, of course, the tie-in with the NRM events, was perfect, and we know who to thank for that (and we have, over the last couple of weeks). It was Production and Sales who let the side down.

The Nim.

Archived