Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

Just had an email from Rails stating they have a limited number of Great Goodbye sets for sale at £1399 - some £400 more than from Hornby directly. Still waiting for my set to turn up today.

Hornby's email then is at best misleading in that it suggested/stated that they were only available from Hornby by phone. 

I think this is a sorry episode in Hornby's history that it needs to review and recover from quickly, before market confidence in it is lost further (along with the network of model shops that often bring people into the hobby through selling train sets). 

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from Rails stating they have a limited number of Great Goodbye sets for sale at £1399 - some £400 more than from Hornby directly. Still waiting for my set to turn up today.

Hornby's email then is at best misleading in that it suggested/stated that they were only available from Hornby by phone. 

I think this is a sorry episode in Hornby's history that it needs to review and recover from quickly, before market confidence in it is lost further (along with the network of model shops that often bring people into the hobby through selling train sets). 

On the other hand you could argue this is excessive profiteering by Rails (approx. £233 each compared to £166 from Hornby). Did Rails get them as part of an allocation to retailers? They have one in their ebay shop for £1499!!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-GREAT-GOODBYE-COLLECTION-LIMITED-EDITION-6x-A4-LOCOMOTIVE-SET-/131156145438?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e8983f51e

On the other hand you could argue this is excessive profiteering by Rails (approx. £233 each compared to £166 from Hornby). Did Rails get them as part of an allocation to retailers? They have one in their ebay shop for £1499!!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-GREAT-GOODBYE-COLLECTION-LIMITED-EDITION-6x-A4-LOCOMOTIVE-SET-/131156145438?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e8983f51e

So what if Rails want to gain more profit from one of sales. 

And the end of the day they are the ones running the business and they can what they want with their products.

Im sure you've never bought anything on the cheap and sold it on for a profit ??

• RMweb Gold

My local dealer, who nowadays stocks very little LNER unless asked for it (he hates dusting), got a set despite having cancelled his allocation.

I understand he has managed to unload it onto someone who was 'disappointed' elsewhere. Judging by much I've read on here, I'd call that a lucky escape!

John

• RMweb Gold

Except that, by then, Hornby didn't have any left. Under the new trading arrangements, dealers matching the prices on Hornby's website don't make very much out of it. Rails evidently decided to make hay while the sun shines and have judged there are enough mugs out there willing to pay that price.

It's purely an example of supply and demand in action, an inevitable result of manufacturers deliberately producing short runs of models to ensure they sell quickly. We saw the beginnings of it with Bachmann's C Class in the preserved livery and I expect it to become commonplace in future.

John  

• RMweb Premium

Except that, by then, Hornby didn't have any left. Under the new trading arrangements, dealers matching the prices on Hornby's website don't make very much out of it. Rails evidently decided to make hay while the sun shines and have judged there are enough mugs out there willing to pay that price.

It's purely an example of supply and demand in action, an inevitable result of manufacturers deliberately producing short runs of models to ensure they sell quickly. We saw the beginnings of it with Bachmann's C Class in the preserved livery and I expect it to become commonplace in future.

John  

Rails and anyone else can of course charge what they like - but on their head be it. Personally, I consider retailers as a place where I can buy catalogue items at RRP or a bit less. If you like it's a relationship of trust, I expect to get a fair deal from them and not be "overcharged" for a brand new item supplied direct from the manufacturer. Admittedly I don't buy from Rails very much as their overseas postage charges are high, but this sort of sales policy makes it even less likely I will buy from them again, even if the item is discounted.

Next thing, retailers will be cancelling pre-orders at RRP or lower of popular models expected to be in short supply, so they can sell them at a big mark up.

• RMweb Gold

Rails and anyone else can of course charge what they like - but on their head be it. Personally, I consider retailers as a place where I can buy catalogue items at RRP or a bit less. If you like it's a relationship of trust, I expect to get a fair deal from them and not be "overcharged" for a brand new item supplied direct from the manufacturer. Admittedly I don't buy from Rails very much as their overseas postage charges are high, but this sort of sales policy makes it even less likely I will buy from them again, even if the item is discounted.

Next thing, retailers will be cancelling pre-orders at RRP or lower of popular models expected to be in short supply, so they can sell them at a big mark up.

Hornby don't set RRPs any more but, rightly or wrongly, many of us treat their own on-line prices as such.

That doesn't leave much for the retailer and, if I were one, I'd probably not be stocking Hornby by now. 

There is no suggestion that Rails (or any one else) act in the way you describe in your last sentence, which would be thoroughly unethical. That being the case, I don't see any real difference between them or an individual making a fast buck.

A speculator is a speculator and, when it comes to "private" sellers on the internet, I have long suspected that some are less private than others.

John

Rails evidently decided to make hay while the sun shines and have judged there are enough mugs out there willing to pay that price.

No Mugs yet and two offers declined.

Incidentally, a well known NW supplier is processing pre ordered single units.

Just had an email from Rails stating they have a limited number of Great Goodbye sets for sale at £1399 - some £400 more than from Hornby directly. Still waiting for my set to turn up

Maybe this is why people shop on-line rather than supporting their local retailer

Guest CPRAIL3000

Did Hornby fix any of the the mistakes from the Gathering or is it just more of the same old same old?

Did Hornby fix any of the the mistakes from the Gathering or is it just more of the same old same old?

No, exactly the same. On the three garter blue locos the 'LNER' on the tender is still a fraction too high on all three models which means it's higher than the cabside numbers. 4464 and 4468 both lack the 'Open/Shut' lettering around the access hole on the right hand side for opening the cods mouth, although in real life Bittern doesn't have any lettering at all, the hole being reinforced with brass, ergo Hornby could have saved themselves some bother and left it off. Again, on all 3 LNER locos the front bufferbeam numbering is too high with the top of the lettering being in line with the miiddle lower lamp iron, however it's not as bad as the recently released 'Great Snipe'.

The three BR locos all look ok.

All six show signs of being handled and it seems the cab roof ventilation slides have been clumsily glued into place rather than being free moving. Certificates for all six were provided in a separate envelope which was in the delivery box amongst the locos, thereby simplifying the process for those wishing to apply for the free cabinet.

Basically, I would say the 'Great Goodbye' locos are from exactly the same batch as the 'Great Gathering' set, and therefore weren't the result of an additional batch based on the success of the Great Gathering sets. If they are from a fresh batch, then it's yet another very poor show from Hornby in not fixing obvious and well reported defects which spoil otherwise excellent models.

BR Numberplates still too high?

not what I wanted to hear at all, especially as I had been told from someone at Hornby that they were going through manufacture in Feb, and had NOT been made at the same time as the previous batch.

Well, an expensive trip to TMC for my lot then (when I take delivery...)... Still, the £100 saved through use of Hornby collectors club membership will be 'reinvested'.

BR Numberplates still too high?

not what I wanted to hear at all, especially as I had been told from someone at Hornby that they were going through manufacture in Feb, and had NOT been made at the same time as the previous batch.

Well, an expensive trip to TMC for my lot then (when I take delivery...)... Still, the £100 saved through use of Hornby collectors club membership will be 'reinvested'.

Correct, still too high. The top lamp iron is immediately below the hinge for the upper part of the cods mouth, which in reality would mean it would foul the casing immediately in front of the whistle. Also, for some reason 60007 has a more stumpy (incorrect) type of whistle compared to the other five, wasn't that an issue with the first set as well?

So, assuming the message from Hornby is correct, that this WAS a separate batch, the unforgivable thing has happened, that errors were simply perpetuated. Hornby can't be excused by the 'accept these models or else' from their contractors, as with the previous batch. Neither can Hornby claim they didn't know about the problems (I for one, told them directly)

As noted by myself above, the Lamp Irons are actually correct for the locos as built, but NOT for the locos as preserved.

The Whistle on 60007 is a wartime bell whistle, and is simply wrong for 60007. It is almost like they coped a TMC model (which was made using Kingfisher and a double chimney off a wartime black Charles Newton I think).

Can the lamp Iron and Numberplate be repositioned without damaging the paintwork, or could someone like TMC reposition them and restore the finish?

Similarly repositioning numbers without 'shaddow' being visible once numbers/letters removed?

Once again, very disappointed, and at a loss to understand why this has happened.

So, assuming the message from Hornby is correct, that this WAS a separate batch, the unforgivable thing has happened, that errors were simply perpetuated. Hornby can't be excused by the 'accept these models or else' from their contractors, as with the previous batch. Neither can Hornby claim they didn't know about the problems (I for one, told them directly)

As noted by myself above, the Lamp Irons are actually correct for the locos as built, but NOT for the locos as preserved.

The Whistle on 60007 is a wartime bell whistle, and is simply wrong for 60007. It is almost like they coped a TMC model (which was made using Kingfisher and a double chimney off a wartime black Charles Newton I think).

Can the lamp Iron and Numberplate be repositioned without damaging the paintwork, or could someone like TMC reposition them and restore the finish?

Similarly repositioning numbers without 'shaddow' being visible once numbers/letters removed?

Once again, very disappointed, and at a loss to understand why this has happened.

It is possible to hide damage to paintwork but not easy.

You can lose marks from numbers with a couple of coats of varnish

Why its happended?? = lack of care , lack of quality control and sheer desperation to get something out before they missed the bus , which they did.

I am totally amazed people are willing to pay £1000+ for a set then modify to correct the faults. To another serious collector at that point they are worthless. Much easier and a LOT cheaper to rename and renumber earlier versions. Most of which are better made as well.

• RMweb Premium

If they are from a fresh batch, then it's yet another very poor show from Hornby in not fixing obvious and well reported defects which spoil otherwise excellent models.

So, assuming the message from Hornby is correct, that this WAS a separate batch, the unforgivable thing has happened, that errors were simply perpetuated.

I'm not trying to defend Hornby, but I've no reason to doubt their honesty about them being a separate batch. I suspect, though, given production slot lead times that the Goodbye sets had already been ordered before the Gathering sets were delivered, so by the time the errors on the latter were identified it was too late to change the Goodbye locos without prejudicing delivery dates (into 2015, perhaps?).

Archived