Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Well it would be rude not to add one to that collection! I can just about justify it as 5902 did come to Harrogate as part of a fuel injection conference, might get round to renumbering it.. i did replace the BR totem on the side as the Heljan ones dont look too good.

Nice pic too, looks to be a very nice train set, 10001 sits very well in that scene

The layout is true to period with not only infrastructure built from photographs and plans but all stock and locos correct given a bit of latitude '59 - '63.

However obviously when something new that cant be resisted is purchased it has to have a test run and get introduced to the elderly residents of Alloa.much to the disgust of the purists on a Wednesday evening!

Obviously photographs are frowned upon but stuff it..so heres another..

post-2371-0-48163800-1452391629.jpeg

(the Blue Pullman is probably a step too far..I'll get black balled!) 

• Like 10

Here's a new one from Thorburn's.

Please excuse the cheesy filters I've been playing around with.

Class%2026%20head%20on%20aged_zpssx7yvwl

Mike

Your images from Thorburn's are superb and really are as realistic as it gets.

Full marks for all the associated clutter..the track work is spot on... the crumbling platform edge ..could go on and on.

Well done.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've posted this in the layout thread, but I like this image, so giving it a go here too. From my N gauge layout.

attachicon.gifNikon2.jpg

The layout doesn't have a backscene, and I don't have photoshop to add one!

Cheers

Because they are models and worse because they are N gauge it I'd difficult to get the depth has of field correct. Photographing the prototype would have meant much more of the scene was in focus. The closeness of the lens to the subject means that the loco's are In focus but not bmuch else.. This is not meant as critism, it's just one of the problems photographing models.

Since the back ground is out of focus and a relatively small area you may be able to drop in a fake back scene. This could be a roll of lining paper, or a white board or other clever devises to suggest hills etc or even an industrial scene.

Andy

Your images from Thorburn's are superb and really are as realistic as it gets.

Full marks for all the associated clutter..the track work is spot on... the crumbling platform edge ..could go on and on.

Well done.

Thanks Vitalspark.

I'm almost embarrassed by such high praise.

Must get that 26 weathered...

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks Vitalspark.

I'm almost embarrassed by such high praise.

Must get that 26 weathered...

Mike

Don't be its deserved.

The basis of a good layout regadless of size/period/stock is the track work..without the foundation the layout is a 'train set' regardless of how well modelled and weathered the stock.

On a new layout you start with the track but when you then take the plunge..not as hard as many think.. and build to fine scale then you're well on your way.

Add some weathered stock and the picture is complete.

You have done this and then some with the superb attention to detail.

Your close up of the hand built point and operating lever.. the way its set into the ballast/earth is a perfect example of fine scale and attention to detail at its best.

With Alloa we do hanbuild all trackwork but with the scale of the layout the sheer amount of stock and the complexity of operations P4 would be a non starter but we do our best with the good old 16.5 fine scale…it seems to work ok.

Well done again

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Right from the outset I've always known that the rolling stock and track were the things to focus on and after that everything else can grow around them. They set the standard that everything else has to be built to.

I have to say that If you're starting out then there really is no reason to worry about building to P4 standards. The Exactoscale turnout kits are very easy to build save for the tie bars and converting a Bo-Bo locomotive is very straight forward. Anything steam is a bit more difficult.

Mike

• Like 1

I agree with you Mike but the building to P4 standards is not the issue as we are fortunate to have very skilled guys in our group that can turn out fine scale points and complicated track geometry..usually in EM right enough.

Currently one of them a well known guy on these forums is undertaking a long 'scissors on a curve' for our new layout which is probably about as hard as it gets.

To test the track work on his own 26 ft long layout he propels 40 mineral wagons all 3 link and sprung buffer fitted round and round buffer to buffer at a scale 40 mph..over points and diamonds..goes on all night while he works away at whatever!

All chassis and stock are sprung of course and that would be another problem if we went down the P4 route with the amount of locos and stock needing converted.

The issue is keeping the wheels on the track under exhibition conditions and with the P4 flanges and gaps just that bit finer its probably a step too far to expect reliability on a large intensive layout given the varying hall temperatures. 

I know this is controversial and I know there are a few well known and excellent fairly large exhibition layouts out there like Charlotte Rd and Mostyn that operate successfully but they are in the minority.

I have watched operators time and again spend more time sorting problems than enjoying running the layout which is not what its about imo.

A 40+ft layout intensively run with long trains and both fast and slow running.. crossovers..propelling and shunting..all day long under exhibition conditions..EM is the limit of practicality there I think.

(takes cover and awaits the flack!) 

Dave

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 2

Hmmm, that Caley pic? I finks you may have got the intrados wrang on that skew arch. It might fall down.

I think it should be summic like this.

4947845791_417629a6f8_z.jpgKielder Water Viaduct by Michael Chesterson, on Flickr

P

(Who's in a pedantic mood cos he's spent far too much time researching and building Rickys viaducts. I thinks we are on the Mk 4 version)

Here's the Mk1 version. Not very realistic... yet.

post-508-0-66864500-1452623960.jpg

and I've had a bit tinker.

post-508-0-00482800-1452624049.jpg

• Like 5

..love the viaduct btw..what will be the end result?..layout?.

A bit of East Lancashire's L&Y in the original Washington DC. That's Washington, Ceremonial County of Durham not the American one.

and will we see it on the circuit anytime soon..like before Mr franks?*!!

It's designed to be semi permanent so may see one or two exhibitions. Plenty of stock almost finished for it, but there is about sixty feet of random stone to hand carve and it's all been done by one person cos it's his baby. Progress is "in the right direction".

"The Town" is just mocked up at the mo. We're aiming for something like this but probably lower town in stone and upper town in brick. Then there's the mills.

17253372531_d5d57b3f20_c.jpgCrowborough Street, c.1967 by Visual Resources @ MMU, on Flickr

This is the standard he's working to.

post-508-0-41204700-1452630257_thumb.jpg

P

• Like 7