Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to butt in chaps as I have only just caught up with this lovely layout and interesting thread. 

Peter, I'm going to be bossy, get that ticker sorted mate; don't put up with it.

Get well ASAP.

Sincerely, Phil (normally lurks on ANTB and Peterborough North)

Edited by Mallard60022

I saw Peter ballasting the extension to Glen Gillie some time ago and have used the general idea (as many others on here do) to suit my spaced out Peco code 75 track and pointwork. But unlike Peter I don't spray my trackwork after laying. I spray the track first, lay and ballast, then weather. The ballast was selected after discussion with Geoscenics using their natural stone ballast.

A loaded Clay Train arrives at Camel Quay top and tailed by a Diesel Hydraulic class 22 and 10 ton exLSWR brake van on a slightly overcast day.

post-11105-0-80489200-1399048891_thumb.jpg

Ray.

PS Peter hope you're feeling better.

Edited by tender
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ray.

PS Peter hope you're feeling better.

We all hope Peter M gets sorted properly by the medics soonest.

Ray - your pic is absolutely stunning,  but the diesel needs some sort of disc headcode. I have checked Peter Coster's album "The Steaming Sixties" and the Wenford goods showed a single lamp "top middle" on the pannier tank in his pics, so that might be a good place to put a white disc on the diesel? [We will gloss over the fact that Peter Coster was, 30 years ago, my immediate boss, and has probably never recovered!]

• Like 1

Hi Ray, Really nice mate, mine has small Yellow fronts but that looks dead right on CQ, btw, any joy with a Hymek?

Andy, I have one of them too (SYP) and as you know I'm collecting a few other small diesels for another layout, but who knows they might make a later era appearance on CQ at some point.

We all hope Peter M gets sorted properly by the medics soonest.

Ray - your pic is absolutely stunning,  but the diesel needs some sort of disc headcode. I have checked Peter Coster's album "The Steaming Sixties" and the Wenford goods showed a single lamp "top middle" on the pannier tank in his pics, so that might be a good place to put a white disc on the diesel? [We will gloss over the fact that Peter Coster was, 30 years ago, my immediate boss, and has probably never recovered!]

Hi Ian, I always knew the 22 needed a head code but didn't know which one so I left it off for the picture thinking I could always photoshop it on once I'd worked it out. That's my excuse anyway.

The discs are route indicators rather than train catagory. All trains used the same code if they used the same route. I am sure there are people who will know more, it is a very complex system you realy need to do some research.

The discs are route indicators rather than train catagory. All trains used the same code if they used the same route. I am sure there are people who will know more, it is a very complex system you realy need to do some research.

I thought that only applied to the Southern region not the rest of British Railways and by the time of the model that area was under the control of the WR

• RMweb Gold

I thought that only applied to the Southern region not the rest of British Railways and by the time of the model that area was under the control of the WR

Agreed, but I'm not sure when they changed the headlamp codes Alan although I suspect that in any case WR trains would be doing what they did in reality north of Bodmin and carrying standard lamp codes instead of Southern codes.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much happening on Camel Quay lately but the dock workers were getting agitated by the long walk to the station and back up the hill to the pub for their lunch. Management not wishing a repeat of strike action that crippled the fishing industry earlier in the decade decided to appease them by installing a staircase from the dock directly up to the road right opposite the pub.

post-11105-0-46166100-1400861057_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it's been raining all day so the painters haven't been able to put a primer on yet ready for the top coat. Currently there's a competition to decide what colour paint to use.........

• Like 8

It finally stopped raining this evening so the painters came back in to give the stairs a coat of primer.

post-11105-0-64202500-1400886632_thumb.jpg

Still having problems deciding on a final colour due to lack of photographic example for the period.

• Like 14

Like the staircase - is it a kit or did you build it from scratch?

Don't want to appear to be a "grumpy" but the supports don't look right. It either needs a second leg at each landing with some bracing or the steps need to be tied back to the stone wall with some supports, otherwise the stairs could fall over.

In terms of colour black was the most usual colour for metal work, although it could be green. Either way, unless freshly painted, there would be plenty of rust showing.

Hope this is helpful

Nick

Thanks Nick, I was wondering how long it would be before the question off the supports came up as it's not very clear from the picture, so here's another view.

post-11105-0-76387600-1400951221_thumb.jpg

It's a bit dark but you can just about make out the ties back to the wall under the platforms. The stairs are not fixed in place yet so before I do this I will add some plate reinforcement where the ties attach to the wall.

Black or green is favourite, probably black as I already have some and like you say 'rust'.

• Like 6

Oops - forgot to answer Nicks question,

It's part kit, part scratch built. The kit (Langley Models etch) was supposed to make up a three floor fire escape that zig-zagged up the side of a building. It wasn't possible to do this on the Quay due to the rock face where I wanted the top to end up. It was also too high, so I cut it up a bit and soldered it together to make it straight and added the supports from some brass I beam and angle.

• RMweb Gold

I think Ian has a point in that period I think the stairs would have hugged the wall as well. However it is well made and could have been like that. Overall the layout is looking great.

Don

Hi Ian, Don,

I can see where you're coming from there. We've been busy searching the web for some 50's examples for dockside stairs and more or less drawn a blank. Plenty examples of stone stairways but all the steel stairs seem to be attached to buildings or piers. The search continues and it may get replaced at some point but for now I've got some more pressing work to do on some of the layout buildings before the next exhibition in July.

Ray.

I've been looking for a loading gauge for the goods shed as depicted in the book 'Branchlines to Padstow'. You can just about make out the top of the loading gauge at Padstow on plate 103 just before the goods shed.

post-11105-0-56694300-1401385473_thumb.jpg

This Ratio kit (no. 412 SR Loading Gauge) is a pretty good representation of the real thing at Port Isaac Road (plate 58) and similar to the one at Padstow. It's not a very nice kit to build as some of the plastic bits are very thin and a bit too fragile. I will probably scratch build a replacement from brass when time allows.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update with progress.

The loading gauge has been suitably placed (sorry about glare, must mustn't complain about the sun coming through the window)

post-11105-0-22320200-1406191197_thumb.jpg

Ground signals are now all in place and completes the signalling apart from motorising the semaphore signal. Not sure how best to do this as yet but been picking up a few useful tips on the signalling thread. A few telegraph poles up the hill has brought Camel Quay into the 'connected age', well at least as telephones go. The internet is still 40 years away.

post-11105-0-76239200-1406191319_thumb.jpg

More photos of Polly's ground works to follow later.

Ray

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Ray,

First time I've actually posted on your thread having admired the detail for a while. The second photo above shows so much that I will aspire to on NE. The point rodding (the discussion of which I followed with great interest earlier in your thread) to me makes a masive difference to the overal picture, and I always like to see ground signals. The addition of the telepgraph pole just adds yet another touch of realism that others can only be inspired by.

As for the first picture... most photos of that vintage seemed to have camera glare if they were shot too near the angle of the sun. The way that it shines through the glass on the signal arm is something special!  :imsohappy:

Thanks for sharing your trials, tribulations and acheivements as you've gone on!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

A few more pictures, this time Polly's been doing her bit with the greenery.

Firstly, a operators view of the wall alongside the carriage siding. Looks like a loco has been offloading some ash and started a fire at some point.

post-11105-0-35805100-1406227770_thumb.jpg

Towards the quay the long grasses seem to taking a hold.

post-11105-0-92961000-1406228558_thumb.jpg

On the quayside a rake of wagons await arrival of the coaster to offload their lump china clay load.

post-11105-0-06181200-1406228688_thumb.jpg

We felt that the mockup (see earlier) of the quay offices took up too much space, so a grounded wagon and carriage are being tried out for the time being. These have been weathered (along with stairs to the pub) but could still do with bedding down with some 'grot' if we decide to keep them.

post-11105-0-97550800-1406229210_thumb.jpg

Parts of the quay have also had a dusting with some 'clay' dust and ash.

More pics tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ray,

Well neither of you have lost your touch, have you!  I like the burning, looks good.  I hope the did not do that while you were in bed, it could have been dangerous.