Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Thanks, Duncan, but there are so many others, many of them on RMweb, who have inspired me by their attention to detail or quality of their craftsmanship so I'm really deep in the learning stakes at the moment, though I do like the process of working out how to something, especially when it works!

Polly 

Morning Polly

I don't think that anyone can say that they can't learn from someone or be inspired on RMweb. There are so many ideas and techniques shown and shared.

It looks like I'll have to learn some new techniques for HA when the building starts.

We spend many hours getting the smallest details right, even if they can't be seen without a camera.

Duncan

Morning Ray / Polly,  What a fantastic job you have both made, really nice, have you got the windows yet, or are you making them too,

George

PS Had a great time yesterday but it really was hard on the both of us no longer can we stand for hours at shows, so we will have to stop going to many shows that involve lots of driving two hours to get to Bodgits then passenger for another hour to the show and then six hours at the show really took it out of us l left mine at 05;30 and got home at 19;30 too much, hopefully you can make the poynton show in December ??

Picked up these rather nice canopy supports earlier this year.

post-11105-0-84398900-1413236754_thumb.jpg

Not sure what region they're from but they look the part under the canopy. They're made from three pieces of laser cut plastic that have to be laminated together.

George. The window frames I have are laser cut card. Not sure whether to use clear styrene for the windows, i read somewhere (can't remember where) that a dark glossy coloured card can look effective, so might give that a try as I don't have time to detail or light the inside of the building.

Ray.

• Like 10

Ray / George, have either of you checked out Mike (mike61680 / Dent, in the Settle and Carlisle section) he make his buildings from clear plastic, then covers them, its really good.

Thanks Andy, I don't vist the Settle & Carlisle section very often (think Polly visits now and then) so will go and have a look at Dent.

Ray.

Morning Ray, When l made 'Brickwoods' l had a load of CD clear plastic cases, which l cut up and used for the windows the plasticard strips stick to it a treat using MEK, don't know what plastic it is but its great when finished l put some black card at the back.

Hope this helps   George

Thanks for the tip George, I chucked out a load of empty CD cases from work a few weeks ago. Always the case (pun), you never know what might be useful in the future, guess I should have kept a few. I'm sure I can probably find a few more around the house somewhere.

Canopy more or less finished, Polly's been busy again with her paint brushes. Here's a quick shot of it in position with the station building.

post-11105-0-01462600-1413303959_thumb.jpg

Still got them windows, chimney's and slates to do before the weekend so better get off here and get on with it.

Did I mention a lighting panel? Hellllllllllllllp.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 11

Evening,

Looks quite nice, I've been following your layout topic for a while. I like your new canopy supports... tis something we seem to be missing in the model railway world as separate items.

I've been using this super clear type plastic for my windows, not too sure what it is but it looks like glass. I buy it from this shop that sell military model type models. I prefer it because my buildings have highly detailed interiors.

But as your not looking to add interiors you might want to go for the SR grubby style windows ;)

• Like 2

Evening,

Looks quite nice, I've been following your layout topic for a while. I like your new canopy supports... tis something we seem to be missing in the model railway world as separate items.

I've been using this super clear type plastic for my windows, not too sure what it is but it looks like glass. I buy it from this shop that sell military model type models. I prefer it because my buildings have highly detailed interiors.

But as your not looking to add interiors you might want to go for the SR grubby style windows ;)

Hi Reece,

Thanks for looking in, I've just had a quick look at your West Fraddon thread, wow, some very nice modelling. Will get back and have a proper look after the weekend.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Are the canopy supports from York Models?  If not they sell something very similar.

Looking good as ever Ray, until you let Polly loose on it,

and then it looks marvellous!       :yes:

Hi Chris, yes, they're from York Modelling (as are the slates).

This was the state of play with the slating earlier today showing comparison with printed slates.

post-11105-0-67253900-1413399763_thumb.jpg

Hope to get it finished by bed time.

Polly's been cutting the grass today, I expect she'll post some photos later.

Nearly forgot. Lighting unit more or less finished but can't decide how high to have it, so will leave it high for this weekend and get some feedback and then cut it down if necessary.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

emt_911

Posted Yesterday, 23:50

Nice little camoe Polly

Thanks, Duncan.

This is the normal view, from the front of the layout, looking across the road at the top of the hill.  The first one was from the gable end of the terrace on High Street.  The bottom of the wall is having some cosmetic treatment to hide the join where it meets the road.  The white plaster edge was a bit too noticeable.

post-14049-0-45134100-1413415082.jpg

Another job completed, today, was the white plastic sheet that used to sit under the previous station building but now runs around the side and back of the new, smaller, building providing a handy footpath to the Booking Hall and a future trolley park by the side door.  Fortunately, I had saved the colour I'd mixed for the platform.  As it dried, the colours had partially separated enough for me to select appropriate colours to mix a close enough match. Lesson learnt - I've since started to write down which colours and proportions I use.

There are a 101 other little jobs that need tackling, but all in good time.

Polly

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Are the canopy supports from York Models?  If not they sell something very similar.

Looking good as ever Ray, until you let Polly loose on it,

and then it looks marvellous!       :yes:

Very kind of you to say so,  Chris.  Just the icing on the cake which needs a cracking good cake to support it.

Polly (recovering from the shock of "What have I done wrong?"  Yes, your little game worked.  :laugh:   )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

Sorry if I frightened you.  There are only so many ways that you can say how good something looks.  I would agree that the building looks good as well but the painting brings it to life.

I am finding that I am looking at my figures which need the paint touching up and thinking, 'What did I use?'  Must make more notes.

• Like 3

Station building finished as far as this weekend is concerned.

post-11105-0-17225700-1413466880_thumb.jpg

Still windows at the back to do, (but only operators can see them), guttering, down pipes and all the paraphernalia like posters etc to add.

• Like 12

Hi Polly and Ray,

Great to meet you guys on Sunday at Warrington and thanks for all the explanations! I was very taken indeed with the whole layout and especially the heather & gorse covered mound (I think it was heather or am I wrong again!?!), that is simply exquisite! I think I said it wrong on Sunday, just hope I'm not repeating that mistake!

That D63xx is still on my mind too! I have a couple of Silver Fox models but the Dapol one is much nicer.

Righto, now to go back to page 1 and read everything from the beginning!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 4

Had a great weekend at 'Warrington' with CQ and many thanks for all the RMWeb members who made themselves known, (Allegheny1600, Mike61680, stivesnick to name but a few) as well as to the hospitality of all those of Warrington MRC who made us most welcome. The layout worked well and seemed to generate a lot of interest. Had a few enquiries from some other clubs so hopefully we'll be out and about in 2015.

As usual we generated another 'to do' list before Merrseyside MRE in two weeks time.

Ray.

• Like 4