Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for your likes and kind encouraging comments.

When the bank is finished (soon), I'll have to refresh the heather and gorse area which has taken a bit of a battering in places, especially along the edge of the baseboard.

Then, I'm told, there will be a station building to paint and weather.

Polly

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That's the way to do it! :mosking:

post-14049-0-86183700-1411515988.jpg

Full view. Taken this afternoon looking out across the Menai Strait.

post-14049-0-66241600-1411515595.jpg

Back soon when the new growth gorse has blossomed on Camel Quay.  :D

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 8

Hi Polly

The layout looked really good when I was over yesterday and the artistic work in flocking etc. is superb...

It was great to see you both and have a brew...

Look forward to seeing a lot more photos of your progress... and you do great research before make any start on tour modelling the scenic of the layout.

See you again soon

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Ray, Have you seen the new dcc chip from dcc concepts, TCS DP2X-UK its the size of a blanking plug with no wires, £19 ? looks just what l need

George

Sounds good for Jinty's / M7's etc George, I will have to have a look at one.

Hi Ray, Have you seen the new dcc chip from dcc concepts, TCS DP2X-UK its the size of a blanking plug with no wires, £19 ? looks just what l need

George

Hi George, there's nothing new about the TCS DP2X-UK, been using it for years. Great for M7's etc as like you say it just plugs in the 8pin socket and small enough to ensure no surgery is required.

Some people on here don't like it for some reason, but if space is a premium its the one i go for, not had any problems myself. If space is not a problem my decoder of choice at present is the ZIMO range, both sound and non-sound. Even they are pretty small as used in my sound BWT and M7 but it took a bit of surgery to get them and the speaker in (see earlier)

The TCS DP2X-UK might be new to DCC Concepts catalogue being Aussie based.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with an exhibition coming up in 10 days time i thought it was about time i made a start on the new staion building.

post-11105-0-27788600-1412770155_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-78690500-1412770167_thumb.jpg

The card shell has been covered with DAS clay and when this is dry the window and dooor openings will be trimmed before scribing the stone work. After that its down to Polly to paint it before fitting the windows/doors and tiling the roof. Then theres a canopy to build!

Ray.

• Like 9

Hi Andy, hope you can make it with George. Will be good to see you again.

Ray,
That appears to be an unusual shape for a station and more effective because it is.  Is it a copy of anywhere?

It looks really good as well.

Hi Chris.
Not unusual for the North Cornwall Railway. Its more or less a mirror of the one shown here. This design was used for most of the stations from Ashwater to St Kew Highway and Padstow. I've tweaked it a bit to fit in the same place as the existing building and removed one of the chimney's as it was directly above a window on the gabble end and didn't look right to my mind. I guess in reality it may have been a false chimney for balance, our house had one when we moved in but it always leaked around the flashing so we had it removed when we built the extension.

Ray.

Hi Andy, hope you can make it with George. Will be good to see you again.

Hi Chris.

Not unusual for the North Cornwall Railway. Its more or less a mirror of the one shown here. This design was used for most of the stations from Ashwater to St Kew Highway and Padstow. I've tweaked it a bit to fit in the same place as the existing building and removed one of the chimney's as it was directly above a window on the gabble end and didn't look right to my mind. I guess in reality it may have been a false chimney for balance, our house had one when we moved in but it always leaked around the flashing so we had it removed when we built the extension.

Ray.

The design was also used for Torrington, which I believe still exists as a building though miles from any live railway.

Hth

PB

• Like 2

The design was also used for Torrington, which I believe still exists as a building though miles from any live railway.

Hth

PB

Hi Peter.

Yes, and the same can be said for Padstow, station building but railway long gone. I believe it's owned by the local council who wanted to demolish it to make the car park bigger recently, but I think it's had a reprevie after some protest from locals and a petition.

Ray.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Camel's Hump update.

The gorse 'flowers' I had dab-painted on the clump foliage didn't look as contrasty against the heather as I'd hoped and I eventually set about doing something about it.  I'd bought some flowering yellow foliage a couple of years back (price presumably has gone up since then) and decided to give it a try, using just the yellow 'beads' (my word).  A test piece worked out OK so it was time to try it out on the layout.  Easy method: dab dilute PVA onto clumps and flick foliage over the top.

post-14049-0-36868900-1412805884.jpg

I also touched up the heather with more lavender foliage 'beads' - with all the work on CQ lately, some had rubbed off.  The clumps of heather were made using the fabric as per the instructions but dowsed with hair spray before using.  The fabric was rounded and glued over the top of small clumps of lichen dab-painted with purple beforehand.

Then it was time to repair other bits of greenery which had come off, especially on the edge of the layout and add touches of grass.

post-14049-0-21176600-1412808429.jpg

post-14049-0-70634700-1412808446.jpg

post-14049-0-12888400-1412808757.jpg

Links to a couple of the several inspiring photos that I've used:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=3652&with_photo_id=63258792&order=date_desc&user=6528603

http://www.classic.co.uk/nas/ns_media/uploads/VISITOR_BOOK/Guest_Writers/Penwith_by_D_CD/heather.jpg

Time now to move onto another little job. :)

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

Hello Ray,  Must say the scenery is really looking the part, thanks to Polly she has done a cracking job, really looking forward to seeing it for real and meeting you and Polly again on the sunday...

George

That web-page is owned by an occasional RMwebber, who has recently moved from North Cornwall to New Zealand.

Hi Ian, I know who you mean, I've been following Peters thread and good to hear that the layout made the trip undamaged. Hopefully the website will continue as its a really useful resource.

Ray.

Hi Polly

Nice to see a step by step guide to Polly's Show & Tell guide to planting in Autumn... haha

Great touch of art work coming out to...

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly

Nice to see a step by step guide to Polly's Show & Tell guide to planting in Autumn... haha

Great touch of art work coming out to...

Jamie

Thanks Jamie and all who've been most generous with the buttons.

I put up the How to Do It pics because I was getting questions about it at exhibitions and could never remember which packets the stuff came out of so I thought, while I was digging the packets out, I might as well take a pic or two..

I was trained in the use of paint on paper.  This sprinkly stuff is totally new but I guess the thought, trial and tribulation process is about the same. I get there in the end - sometimes.  :D

Polly

Edit to insert Jamie's comment as we're now on a new page - and no. 30 at that.  How about that, Tender?

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3