Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Premium

Haha

Now... now.... no fitting you two.... I'm happy as you both are... and like the work you both produce together.... now where are those Short bread biscuits lol

Jamie

What fight?  :pardon:

I don't remember saying anything about fighting.  :punish:

What have I said?

Edit - Have I missed something? :scratchhead:

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

What fight?  :pardon:

I don't remember saying anything about fighting.  :punish:

What have I said?

Edit - Have I missed something? :scratchhead:

Polly

Ah! Thinking....

Edit to insert Jamie's comment as we're now on a new page - and no. 30 at that.  How about that, Tender?

Unquote

Maybe I gave the wrong impression here.   That's a "WOW!" statement, meaning "Have we (that's all of us!) really produced that much on Camel Quay.  Well done, Tender, for keeping going.

Polly

P.S. Jamie - shortbreads in the tin, waiting....  :nyam:

• Like 2

Haha....!

I sensed a bit of bickering or was that just me... I know shopping lists are great to have but even better when you can tick one off from the list.

I've just had some short bread with my Cuppa Tea... lovely they were.

Oh yes....I popped in to Model Mecca yesterday, it was like having therapy... and came away with nothing, surprise surprise....! so nothing to test on your layout Ray, shame I know, but life can be hard sometimes. 

I also managed to find the Ian Allan book store while I was in Birmingham on Tuesday as it had moved from its original site as BNS is under major refurbishment and starting to look impressive in parts to, again nothing bought although I did walk away with the Bachmann Catalogue I don't really call that a purchase I can bring home and run up and down on a layout, I guess my wish list as been extended some what hey.

Enjoy modelling together and I will be back your way soon...

Jamie

PS:  Having problems updating my iPhone to ver8.0.2, so may have to nip to the Apple shop in 'Brum' to get it sorted but can not fit me in till Thursday at the earliest or I can go and wait in a long line and hope I get sorted same day... but at least my iPad is all updated to ver8.0.2.

Have you had iPhone issues Ray....!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

:friends:  No bickering, here.  Honest, gov. :D  

We have an offspring who's coming at the weekend so the shortbreads may get a trial, then - with a third opinion.  :scratchhead:

I'll keep a score card.  :no:

Polly

• Like 2

Haha....!

I sensed a bit of bickering or was that just me... I know shopping lists are great to have but even better when you can tick one off from the list.

Oh yes....I popped in to Model Mecca yesterday, it was like having therapy... and came away with nothing, surprise surprise....! so nothing to test on your layout Ray, shame I know, but life can be hard sometimes. 

I also managed to find the Ian Allan book store while I was in Birmingham on Tuesday as it had moved from its original site as BNS is under major refurbishment and starting to look impressive in parts to, again nothing bought although I did walk away with the Bachmann Catalogue I don't really call that a purchase I can bring home and run up and down on a layout, I guess my wish list as been extended some what hey.

Jamie

PS:  Having problems updating my iPhone to ver8.0.2, so may have to nip to the Apple shop in 'Brum' to get it sorted but can not fit me in till Thursday at the earliest or I can go and wait in a long line and hope I get sorted same day... but at least my iPad is all updated to ver8.0.2.

Haha....!

Jamie

Hi Jamie, iOS 8 is pants, especially when trying to select text on iPad , just doesn't work any more. Wish I could roll back. Iphone took forever to update.

Ray.

Hi Ray

when you say it took forever to update.... what time scale were you talking... approx.... I have left it over night and it still only half way the next morning and doesn't seem to mover any further thereafter.... would that be about right.... lol

Jamie

Hi Ray

when you say it took forever to update.... what time scale were you talking... approx.... I have left it over night and it still only half way the next morning and doesn't seem to mover any further thereafter.... would that be about right.... lol

Jamie

Several hours to download, and that was with a BT infinity connection.

After a day of scratching and a quick spray of Plasicote as a primer this is progress on the station building.

post-11105-0-35876000-1413042708_thumb.jpg

It's now in Pollys hands to add some colour before adding the windows, slating the roof and attaching the chimney pots.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 6

Hi Jamie, iOS 8 is pants, especially when trying to select text on iPad , just doesn't work any more. Wish I could roll back. Iphone took forever to update.

Ray.

We've updated two iPhones and three iPads - haven't experienced the same problems - son's updated two iPhones and two iPads with no difficulty. Wonder what's causing the problems?

Went for a walk round the mountain this afternoon to pick up some milk from the local garage. This was waiting for me when I came back.

post-11105-0-89604400-1413051494_thumb.jpg

This is the first coat, more to be added, so I'm told. In the meantime I'll be making a start on the canopy if I can find enough bits of Plastrut and trying to think how to light the layout and still be able to get it in the car.

Ray.

• Like 12

Hi Ray and Polly, lovely work both, it takes two and you work as a wonderful team.

Unfortunately I wont be coming up to Warrington, I really am not up to driving up to George just yet, maybe another time.

Mr P....I hope all is well with you AndyP.... and if not get well soon buddy

Yes you are correct Ray & Polly made a good team together, whether modelling together or controlling the layout together...

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

While Ray was scratch building the stonework, I was preparing a lawn-mowing scene.  First off, customising a PD Models set.   Man mowing the lawn - turning his t-shirt into a jacket as the arms look too wide for bare arms.  He's had a bit more work done on it since the photo was taken but the jacket still needs some attention but the other two items will do.

post-14049-0-12866800-1413062685.jpg

Changing pristine lawnmower into seen-better-days model.

post-14049-0-04326300-1413062715.jpg

The sort I remember: http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/mowers/moms/mp053-folbate-j2

Making the wheel barrow look as though it's done some work.

post-14049-0-72100800-1413062955.jpg

post-14049-0-62297300-1413062968_thumb.jpg

Next up was a test strip to indicate overgrown boundary and mown and unmown areas of the lawn but not a posh one, you understand!  The two areas are created using "Autumn" grass to give that parched summer haircut look (the parched look hasn't come out that well in the photo) and "Meadow" grass for the "before" look.

post-14049-0-13287200-1413063199.jpg

Hopefully, it will work on the layout but there is a more pressing challenge of creating a pathway around the entrance of the station building and making a barrow park to the side of the building.

Polly

• Like 3

Found a few bits of Plastrut and some corrugated Plastikard so made a start on the canopy.

post-11105-0-77679400-1413069127_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-49312500-1413069138_thumb.jpg

Detail pictures of the original prototype construction seem few and far between but what we did find was that the supports on top of the columns seem to be made from I-beams and the roofing some form of corrugation, maybe steel sheet or cement board (asbestos).

Next will be making up some support columns.

Ray.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Polly

Its that attention to the smallest details that makes your work unique.

Duncan

Thanks, Duncan, but there are so many others, many of them on RMweb, who have inspired me by their attention to detail or quality of their craftsmanship so I'm really deep in the learning stakes at the moment, though I do like the process of working out how to something, especially when it works!

Polly 

• Like 4