Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Enjoyed seeing this excellent layout at Warrington over the weekend and was most impressed with the 'modifed' peco track well worth the effort. Cannot understand why more modellers do not spend the time to increase the sleeper distances as its not that hard to achieve and well worth the effort

• Like 3

Thanks, Duncan.

This is the normal view, from the front of the layout, looking across the road at the top of the hill.  The first one was from the gable end of the terrace on High Street.  The bottom of the wall is having some cosmetic treatment to hide the join where it meets the road.  The white plaster edge was a bit too noticeable.

attachicon.gifIMG_3983 mowing the lawn view from the road.JPG

Another job completed, today, was the white plastic sheet that used to sit under the previous station building but now runs around the side and back of the new, smaller, building providing a handy footpath to the Booking Hall and a future trolley park by the side door.  Fortunately, I had saved the colour I'd mixed for the platform.  As it dried, the colours had partially separated enough for me to select appropriate colours to mix a close enough match. Lesson learnt - I've since started to write down which colours and proportions I use.

There are a 101 other little jobs that need tackling, but all in good time.

Polly

Sometimes even notes on mixes can get lost, that is why I put up pictures of the colours i use and write how i did them to remind my self later... :sungum: . I use our thread as a layout / blog / notebook all the time lol. I also add a list on my front page for items i might want to find quickly again, as you pages build up looking for something becomes harder and harder.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect many of you have realized by now that I get quite happy snappy when I go out, especially at exhibitions but not this weekend.  Just a couple pics of Camel Quay. 

So, here's the layout at our first exhibition in a  l a r g e  hall - at Warrington Collegiate. Loved it.  We had Rhydwyn Fawr with it's fabulous sound effects behind us but it proved to be no problem at all.  Apart from anything else, the brain seemed to block out everything when we started concentrating on what we were doing - keeping the trains moving and talking to interested parties.

post-14049-0-38964100-1413912699.jpg

And one with the new station building.

post-14049-0-75789400-1413912716.jpg

Polly

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

One of the things Camel Quay is lacking is a full workforce.

Ray primed some of the unpainted figures (a mixture of Dart Castings Monty's Models and Pete Goss figures)  then I mixed up some skin colour....then added a variant...and another...and highlight...but still the grey shows through...Persistant, isn't it?

Not to be defeated, I've painted one of them black with purple added to tone down the black a bit.

I'll repaint the face and arms in daylight, tomorrow and see if that works.  It's a tried and tested method so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

post-14049-0-30947900-1413921171.jpg

Polly

• Like 9

One of the things Camel Quay is lacking is a full workforce.

Ray primed some of the unpainted figures (a mixture of Dart Castings Monty's Models and Pete Goss figures)  then I mixed up some skin colour....then added a variant...and another...and highlight...but still the grey shows through...Persistant, isn't it?

Not to be defeated, I've painted one of them black with purple added to tone down the black a bit.

I'll repaint the face and arms in daylight, tomorrow and see if that works.  It's a tried and tested method so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

attachicon.gifIMG_4032 worker painted black over grey primer.JPG

Polly

So where is Snow White??

They look good.

• RMweb Premium

So where is Snow White??

They look good.

Ah, well, she could be:

• In the cottage in the forest outside the town baking some Cornish pasties for the dwarfs' lunches, tomorrow.
  • Recovering in the local cottage hospital after a food poisoning incident.
  • Having afternoon tea with her Prince in the Tea Shop on High Street and getting proposed to.  Ah, ain't that romantic!
  • On her way to Waterloo on the Atlantic Coast Express and thence to Liberty's to have a fitting of her wedding dress.
  • On honeymoon in the Railway Hotel.

Other than that, I haven't a clue.  I can't keep tabs on the residents all the time.  :mosking:

• Like 3

Morning Ray / Polly,  Sorry l missed the show, but it sounds like you both had a great time, the photos of CQ look really good, are you planning any more shows around Manchester soon ??

George

Hi George,

Next show is the Merseyside MRE (Wirral 2014) at Mosslands School, Wallasey on the 1 & 2 Nov. is that close enough?

http://www.merseysidemrs.co.uk/events14.htm

Ray.

• Like 1

Morning Polly and Ray,

CQ Looks really good in Polly's show images. Hope all goes well at Merseyside as well, just sorry I can't get to such shows nowadays so more pictures would be appreciated Polly! Pleased to see your sleeper spacing advice getting such praise from 'gismorail' Ray, as I hope to use it when I finally get started.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

To add the guttering to the station building I used half round rod glued to some micro strip to stand it off walls as there is a fair overhang on the roof.

post-11105-0-59372500-1414001394_thumb.jpg

After painting it was glued on and drainpipe added.

post-11105-0-01319700-1414001581_thumb.jpg

Just rest of building to do now.

Edited by tender
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Pollly,

Those figures do look good.  Following on from 81C's comment, having the primer show through is not necessarily a problem if you choose the right colour primer.  Grey for the workers above, or black, and white for ladies.  This will affect the final colour.  I have used grey for all my figures having tried what others have said but will definitely go back to white for the ladies, well at least for their heads.

Pete Goss' figures always remind me of the 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' joke,

Every since Boudicca tied swords to her chariot wheels the English have always used small arms, 

And tiny little legs!

PS.  As far as the painting I feel that I am teaching my granny to suck eggs, but I would not dare say that in so many words in case you slap me  :jester:

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the last two days experimenting on the workman (between painting & weathering drain pipes).  I ended up using a combination of Winsor & Newton and Citadel acrylics.   I used the trick I used in my screen printing days when printing light or bright colour on black - I painted the face and arms white before using the face colours.  This seems to have stopped the primer showing through and dulling it down.  I've allowed the black to show in depressed areas on the boiler suit and cap by dry brushing the surface.

So, just for you, he's going to give you a twirl.

post-14049-0-58041500-1414095899.jpg

post-14049-0-36955200-1414095925.jpg

post-14049-0-03400000-1414095953.jpg

post-14049-0-39304000-1414096050.jpg

post-14049-0-58041500-1414095899.jpg

The holder is the tube from a household spray bottle with a bit of blu tack in the end.  I use the end of a paper clip to dig it out if need be.

He'll probably go down on the quayside in which case he'll get a light dusting of china clay on the shoes.

When the layout is back up, I'll take some pics of him on location.

To follow  - another 8 figures.  :O

Polly

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

81C and ChrisN.  Many thanks for sharing your experiences and info.  It's really helpful to have this kind of input.

Stunning piece of work Polly :sungum:  :locomotive:

Is it possible to do a step by step post of how you achieve the end result?

Thanks Duncan.  I'm hoping it gets easier with practice.

Doing a step by step might be useful / boring given the number of times I re-do things, but I'll see how things go.

Just as well I'm not trying to make a living out of it.  :jester:

According to the website, Pete Goss painted figures are primed with enamel, painted with acrylics and enamel matt varnished.  http://www.petegossrailwaymodelling.co.uk/p343357713

My group of figures are primed with a grey etch primer.  [For more info see thread Etch Primer #1.]

I will probably try a black one next time.  Ray kindly does the spraying.

Polly

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Polly and Ray,

CQ Looks really good in Polly's show images. Hope all goes well at Merseyside as well, just sorry I can't get to such shows nowadays so more pictures would be appreciated Polly! Pleased to see your sleeper spacing advice getting such praise from 'gismorail' Ray, as I hope to use it when I finally get started.

Kind regards,

Jock.

I could'nt get a full head-on shot of the layout because I couldn't get back far enough - the trade stands were in place by the time the layout was ready to shoot which deprived me of the extra distance.  I'll take more pics of the layout next time and some of the other ones too and no doubt Ray will take some as well.

Realy looking forward to having your "setup" at the exhibition :sungum:  :locomotive:

Wil be great... :senile:

Thanks. We're looking forward to exhibiting there. I hadn't realized what a difference it would make exhibiting with our own station building rather than the temporary RTP one, as good as it looked.  Now that the building is getting all the bits and pieces that finish it off, it's getting even more exciting. 

See you soon.

Polly (the one with Southern Region Green fingers, hands, shirt, work top....!)

• Like 4

Polly insisted that the interior of the station booking hall was to be detailed so i spent the afternoon cutting up bits of card while she painted them in southern colours.

This is the three walls before being fitted to the building.

post-11105-0-13401700-1414179963_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-02043400-1414179976_thumb.jpg

And here it is after being glued inside.

post-11105-0-91852000-1414179987_thumb.jpg

Still need to rummage through some boxes to find all the detailing bits and bobs we've collected over the past year for the station and Polly still has the rest of the figures to paint.

Ray

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's wonderful, really great interior detail. Love the timetable next to the booking window, and the southern totems on the posters.

Wait til you see the lights....  :sungum:

• Like 3

Those figures look great, as does the whole layout great work by both of you, I shall mention your names for the Andover Modelex next year, but I bet your diary is filling fast, could you PM me your contact details ?

As for the figures I was just about to start a thread asking where I could get more "British" looking figures from, you've answered that for me as well :D

• Like 4