Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I agree with your comments to a degree, however I did not consider the MMI K class locos too expensive.  The quality was superb . . . . .

Loconuts

Too expensive? No but blummin expensive nevertheless and needed a bit spending on a replacement sound unit too but mine are staying put as it seems the chance of any other manufacturer doing these in 1/48th anywhere near that price is zero.

Compare the Heljan price to Bemo and Roco and they look pretty good, plus Heljan has already produced some stunning HO steam for their home market so my confidence is high. I sacrificed a 16mm one for a 009 fleet I could use more often. I have to say though that the video of the SR liveried Lyd on the L&B coaches at Woody Bay means mine will probably be often worked at the transition period so I can justify a bit of crossover of the liveries whatever the actual history was ;)

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea of the ratio of 009 modellers versus 7mm ng modellers?

I've never seen a survey, or compared the membership of the relative societies, but 009 is definitely more common at shows and in magazines.

Over on the NGRM forum there are boards for 4mm scale (predominantly 009) with 626 topics, and 7mm scale (including 14 and 16.5mm gauge) with 348 topics. 3.5mm scale (164) and 1/4" scale (140) are separate. Whether that is a representative barometer I don't know!

Too expensive? No but blummin expensive nevertheless and needed a bit spending on a replacement sound unit too but mine are staying put as it seems the chance of any other manufacturer doing these in 1/48th anywhere near that price is zero.

Compare the Heljan price to Bemo and Roco and they look pretty good, plus Heljan has already produced some stunning HO steam for their home market so my confidence is high. I sacrificed a 16mm one for a 009 fleet I could use more often. I have to say though that the video of the SR liveried Lyd on the L&B coaches at Woody Bay means mine will probably be often worked at the transition period so I can justify a bit of crossover of the liveries whatever the actual history was ;)

Hi Paul, I don't know much about the prices of Bemo or Roco, however having purchased all of the MMI range with a few spare I do disagree with the blummin expensive statement.

It depends on which end of the market you are coming from, the 4mm end and yes they look expensive from the 7mm end they are not considered expensive.  This is a 1/4 scale model, not HO.  Look what you have to pay for the Blackstone HOn3 models, I believe it is around the same price as the MMI ones and they still sell very well.

I stated that they were about the same length as a British 7mm scale 4-4-0 tender loco, for a while my K-28 stood in front of a Martin Finney 'Bulldog'.  The K-28 cost me at the time £290, the 'Bulldog' sold for over £2000 pounds.

I agree the sound decoders in the first K-27's were rubbish and I now have Tsunamis fitted to the locos.  But the detail and finish is superb and I have not had a bad runner.

Also the gap between each introduction was such that you could save up between each one.  I don't suffer from my eyeballs being bigger than my wallet as many modelers in this country do, you know the ones, I want one of those and one of those etc.  Also I have nevered wanted something for nothing, if it was too expensive I will walk away.  Having built Locos for other people I have had to deal with this type of person and rather than agreeing to their price I have walked away.

No all things considering the MMI range was fairly priced, double the projected Heljan price and you would be in the MMI price range but you are paying for a 009 (4mm) Tank Engine which would be half the loco in 1/4 scale.  Also this is a projected price by Heljan, memories of the Lionheart 7mm scale 45XX which had a projected price of around £800 came in around the £1200 and yet it still sold.  If it is a good model then people will buy it, rubbish model then you can pick one up at discounted prices.

Loconuts 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Difficult, if not impossible question to answer. Whilst there's certainly plenty of Baldwins around many of the German manufacturers made small 0-4-0Ts that were also very widespread and were also copied by other foreign manufacturers that could equally be regarded as "universal"... If you ask people (especially SG people) what they think a typical narrow gauge loco looks like they'll come up with a small 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T... It's not just about numbers produced either, it's about the lines themselves which varied far more than SG...

Personally I'd put a "Continental" Style 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T as being more "universal", i.e. more widespread, than a Baldwin, but that's purely a personal point of view... However Mintrians already do a couple of them so no worries there!

Edited by Hobby

Off topic  but  has  anyone  tried  digitizing  a MINITRAINS Loco?

May be  a  little  difficult  with  the 0-4-0  the 0-8-0  may be  a  bettter proposition when it  becomes  available,  Has anyone  any general feedback re  the  Minitrains loco running  qualities>  I have  heard  of  a  couple  of  disatissified  buyers

alhough  any one  looking  for an 0-6-0 may consider  the  Roco 0-6-0T,  which  I know  is  digitizable  with a  very small decoder  and  hard wiring ( decoder  space under  the  cab  roof)

• RMweb Gold

Steve I've not digitised mine but Stainz and two F&C 0-4-0's I have run beautifully. There have been a small number of the 0-8-0's have something come loose, on the rods I think it was, but they were replaced. Generally they all seem to be well liked and James Hilton and the chaps under the Narrow Planet brand are offering a range of 3D printed shells to convert to other types too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

LATEST  Info from HATTONS:

Heljan 00-9  L&B 2-6-2   "Expected"  Jan  to  March  2016.

There must be lots of  lonely  Peco L&B rolling  stock  patiently  waiting,  ( and  quite a few abandoned or mothballed  projects I guess!)

Another  retailer  did say to me in Feb  dont  expect  the  loc for at least  a  year!

• 2 weeks later...

Time to get the layout ready for the stock Steve ;)

Time to get the layout ready for the stock Steve ;)

Given  up on  the  plans  Sold off all the  L&B  stock  already  & the  track!

Goin Back in the  garden!

• RMweb Gold

I can wait as plenty of other items that I have pre ordered which are now due this Autumn and hopefully wont go back too much more!!

My 009 boards havent been out for some years (thought they were gonig to Amberley this summer but no space for them on the ned of the original layout now in otehr hands).

• 3 months later...

LATEST  Info from HATTONS:

Heljan 00-9  L&B 2-6-2   "Expected"  Jan  to  March  2016.

There must be lots of  lonely  Peco L&B rolling  stock  patiently  waiting,  ( and  quite a few abandoned or mothballed  projects I guess!)

Another  retailer  did say to me in Feb  dont  expect  the  loc for at least  a  year!

By way of refreshing this - Some lonely L&B stock is lonely no more.

No more waiting..

There is no need to mothball the project if one can obtain an alternative instrument of locomotive power..

So..

A Glyn Valley tramway model has been conscripted to fulfill the duties of the actual Loco until Heljan mange to deliver.

And..

It quite looks the part! (At least I think so.. The GVR to the rescue..)

post-6939-0-98766100-1437954433_thumb.jpg

Might it then void the need to acquire Heljan's offering...?

..Probably not.

But..

March is still a long time away, and a lot can happen between now and then. 

• Like 3

Superb, however to be strictly correct if running on the GVT it should be running cab first. But, as the GVT never had any bogie stock it is obviously running somewhere else, say on the L&B (with a little gauge narrowing) so chimney first is fine....removes tongue from cheek......

• 3 weeks later...

I can't renumber if the liveries have been mentioned before, but Gaugemaster has some pictures for the liveries on their website.

Yeo: Lynton & Barnstaple Railway http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=HN9950&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Heljan+9950

Exe: Southern Railway http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=HN9951&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Heljan+9951

Taw: Southern Railway http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=HN9952&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Heljan+9952

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/406-hlejanlb

Would have been better if this topic was placed under Heljan with OO9 tags.

I have picked up from another forum that the latest issue of Railway Modeller being delivered to subscribers has details of a ready to run OO9 loco from Heljan based on the Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 Exe, Tor and Yeo. There is also speculation that Heljan didn't produce the chassis?

Anyone got any more information

Mike

When I first posted here over 2 & half years ago, it seemed logical to put it in the 'Narrow Gauge' modelling section as nobody would have thought to go looking on the Heljan pages for something that at the time was simply speculation. Only those who view 'New Content' daily would have seen it whereas in the 'Narrow Gauge' section, it would be seen by all those with an interest in NG. You will note that my original posting ended with a question as I had not seen the article being quoted on another forum and so I could not be certain of the facts.

If there is a general consensus that this is in the wrong place then I could ask for it to be moved but I am content to leave things as they are.

• RMweb Premium

OH !

It looks like someone reported my post above as I was advised by a Moderator that it had been moved to the Heljan section rather than remain in Narrow Gauge . . . . . .

Following that logic should the Bachmann announcements be moved out of the Narrow Gauge section
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96032-Bachmann-009-skarloey/

or perhaps Bachmann On30 belongs in the American section
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98666-Bachmann-on30-porters-minimum-radius/

Should Peco be in Small Suppliers(actually surprised they don't have a section of their own
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95589-peco-announces-rtr-gvt-00-9-coaches/

They are all Narrow Gauge and in my mind they are in the correct place.

Mike,

With so many potentially overlapping forums it is inevitable that threads will potentially change direction and end up appearing to be in what seems to be the wrong one. I started a general Peco thread a while ago and was also surprised that it didn't have it's own forum, however if contemplating aspects of track there are several you could choose from eg. Small Suppliers; Permanent Way, Signalling and Infrastructure; Electrics (non DCC); Layout and Track Design; DCC Questions and many others, including maybe even Railway Modeller.

I never know where to put On30, Narrow Gauge Modelling and Prototype or USA and Canadian Railroads.......?

When I first posted here over 2 & half years ago, it seemed logical to put it in the 'Narrow Gauge' modelling section as nobody would have thought to go looking on the Heljan pages for something that at the time was simply speculation. Only those who view 'New Content' daily would have seen it whereas in the 'Narrow Gauge' section, it would be seen by all those with an interest in NG. You will note that my original posting ended with a question as I had not seen the article being quoted on another forum and so I could not be certain of the facts.

If there is a general consensus that this is in the wrong place then I could ask for it to be moved but I am content to leave things as they are.

Well that does make sense. I just mentioned that because I forgot to use the search bar to locate the topic. I just checked the Heljan sub-forum. It never struck me to check the OO9 forum. My mistake. Infact I opened a new thread in the Heljan section due to my absent mindedness. And that's when I discovered the thread.

OH !

It looks like someone reported my post above as I was advised by a Moderator that it had been moved to the Heljan section rather than remain in Narrow Gauge . . . . . .

Following that logic should the Bachmann announcements be moved out of the Narrow Gauge section

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96032-Bachmann-009-skarloey/

or perhaps Bachmann On30 belongs in the American section

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98666-Bachmann-on30-porters-minimum-radius/

Should Peco be in Small Suppliers(actually surprised they don't have a section of their own

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95589-peco-announces-rtr-gvt-00-9-coaches/

They are all Narrow Gauge and in my mind they are in the correct place.

Well it certainly wasn't me who reported your thread. I found your previous explanation quite valid. :)

Well that does make sense. I just mentioned that because I forgot to use the search bar to locate the topic. I just checked the Heljan sub-forum. It never struck me to check the OO9 forum. My mistake. Infact I opened a new thread in the Heljan section due to my absent mindedness. And that's when I discovered the thread.

You're not alone! Thanks to your being re-directed, I found the thread too.