Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Too right. The reason I did those was the cost of fitting DGs to every wagon when there was no need. Trouble is the time to make the pipey ones are actually more than making a DG. Haha

Cav

OO or N mate?

Ok so a bit of a dig out if anyone can help. I bought these wagons as they are spanking new and got em for a steal. 10 wagon rake of VTG telescopic hoods. Around plenty of years before the layouts timescale so runnable no worries. What I need is someone to make up suggest a possible working for a rake of these through Millers Dale in 1987. I like them way too much not to use so thinking caps on please chaps!

post-6894-0-71166400-1366716899_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 4

OO or N mate?

Ok so a bit of a dig out if anyone can help. I bought these wagons as they are spanking new and got em for a steal. 10 wagon rake of VTG telescopic hoods. Around plenty of years before the layouts timescale so runnable no worries. What I need is someone to make up suggest a possible working for a rake of these through Millers Dale in 1987. I like them way too much not to use so thinking caps on please chaps!

attachicon.gifDapol vtg.jpg

Cav

Am sure you could get away with them coming from the Sheffield area or going to... A lot of stuff in that region conveying Metal products. Suspect they could go to somewhere like Cardiff?

I get your thinking about the steel city, but from Sheffield I would think anything going west towards Manchester would go over the hope valley and anything off towards Cardiff would go via Derby and Birmingham. What I really need is something going southeast to northwest or vice versa!

Cav

I get your thinking about the steel city, but from Sheffield I would think anything going west towards Manchester would go over the hope valley and anything off towards Cardiff would go via Derby and Birmingham. What I really need is something going southeast to northwest or vice versa!

Cav

In the North West Shotton was the main Metals hub which it still has traffic too from Cardiff in Telescopics. You could have a flow from London which is deemed too much of a slow one for the WCML. Not a lot of Metals traffic in the South East compared to the Northern WCML and South Wales which is were much of it ran.

I can accept the option of running London to the northwest freights via the peak if the option was available to keep traffic off of the much higher speed WCML. Ill buy that. Would a British Steel Sheerness to Shotton covered coils be do-able do you think?

Cav

I can accept the option of running London to the northwest freights via the peak if the option was available to keep traffic off of the much higher speed WCML. Ill buy that. Would a British Steel Sheerness to Shotton covered coils be do-able do you think?

Cav

Could work as a train, production at Shotton ceased in the 80s but if you over look that then a train on that run could be feasible. Haulage would probably be a pair of 37s or a 56.

Ok cool Ill look into it. It will all depend on whether I can get them printed with enough strength at acceptable fineness. Will be worth a go though for sure.

Cav

Could work as a train, production at Shotton ceased in the 80s but if you over look that then a train on that run could be feasible. Haulage would probably be a pair of 37s or a 56.

Ill probably use it as an excuse to run a 56 or two. There will be plenty of 37 action on stone.

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Cav

Rule 1 applies!

What happens when the Hope Valley route is closed for engineering or other "incidents"?

Blackburn used to receive [*] deliveries of steel from various locations, mainly Lackenby - why not Sheffield?

Cheers,

Mick

[*] There is still the odd working to Blackburn with BYA's

Maybe you should think about what else might be different on the railway map if Millers Dale were still open. Possibilities for retention include the north to east curve at Ambergate and the Codnor Park/Pye Bridge to Ambergate line.

If I remember correctly, Dr Beeching's closure proposals were rather different to what actually happened in the Peak District. Maybe the Hope Valley line was closed in favour of Woodhead, which was Dr Beeching's plan, I believe.

That way, freight from Rotherham and Sheffield might easily run via Chesterfield, Clay Cross and Ambergate to avoid congestion, engineering works or whatever on the Woodhead line.

Hello Cav

Earlier today I found "Millers Dale in the 80s" and thought...blue diesels...hills...this will be interesting, then spent the afternoon reading through all 16 pages.

Later by coincidence I discovered you'd found S+C 79-83!

I've always liked the idea of modelling re-opened lines with a rationalised track plan running as a1980s/90s "what might have been.".

I'll definitely be following progress on the layout and also your work detailing locos and interesting experiments with N Gauge couplings.

Not sure if I missed a post but, did you ever find out if the modified Peak bogie will go round 2nd rad curves? 

Hi thanks for joining the journey. Hopefully the layout proper will begin soon. The old layout is due to go at the end of this week leaving the opening clear to start. As for the peak, yes it will go around 2nd radius. It will actually go on 1st radius track, I had a couple of lengths to try it on, so my concerns were not just. The loco looks much better for it too.

Cav

just a minor point , the pipes wouldn't usually cross over in an X as you've designed them , looking head-on at a buffer beam , the brake pipe (red cock) and main reservoir air pipe (yellow cock) are side by side on one side of the coupler , so when two vehicles go together , the pipes hang diagonally across the shunter would tie themselves in knots making the pipes as drawn.

Edited by Supaned

Those couplings looking fantastic Cav. However I do agree with supaned on the pipes. Apart from that, I'm looking forward to seeing how they look on the stock, will certainly make a difference to the overall look and would definitely be interested in some of these myself.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Ok chaps Ill change them over and see how they look. The reason I did them as I did was twofold. 1 the brassmasters ones linked to earlier in the thread were like that. 2 I wanted to keep the forces on the coupling even about the centre axis as in N these are very small and hence fragile. Those hoses are only 0.7mm diameter and I dont want them to snap.

Cav

• RMweb Premium

just a minor point , the pipes wouldn't usually cross over in an X as you've designed them , looking head-on at a buffer beam , the brake pipe (red cock) and main reservoir air pipe (yellow cock) are side by side on one side of the coupler , so when two vehicles go together , the pipes hang diagonally across the shunter would tie themselves in knots making the pipes as drawn.

Apologies for the O/T question.

Most trains now only use the main red air pipe on a single system. When was the general use of the yellow reservoir pipe dropped? (Even though vehicles were still fitted with main and reservoir)

Cheers,

Mick

No worries at nothing is O/T yet. There are allsorts of things flying around on this thread. Interesting question actually. I added two pipes as I need to keep the strength. It really wont work with 1 pipe I dont think.

Cav

Apologies for the O/T question.

Most trains now only use the main red air pipe on a single system. When was the general use of the yellow reservoir pipe dropped? (Even though vehicles were still fitted with main and reservoir)

Cheers,

Mick

As far as I know , most freight wagons there days are only fitted with an air brake pipe , the one with the red cock. The main reservoir supply through the yellow pipe isn't really needed on freight stock as the 10 BAR supply is mainly used on passenger stock to deal with air powered sliding internal doors or air suspension bags where fitted. I'm afraid I couldn't say how many freight wagons had a main res pipe , but I can't imagine them being that common. 

Also bear in mind that some wagons were dual braked (air and vacuum) and would have been fitted with the ribbed vacuum pipe for that purpose .