RMweb

Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Hi Cav

Haven't popped in for a while but, by the looks of things those bridges are coming on in leaps and bounds. Certainly looks good. I'm impressed with your culinary skills and the nicely cooked arch. What Gas mark is 120 degrees as I only have a gas oven. :laugh:

Think your right about the plain grey on the bridge, I'd go along with that if I as you. Should look good hen its rusted up and weathered.

Again great work.

Marcus

post-18515-0-18458300-1379427074_thumb.jpg

Hi Cav

Me again. Presume its OK to post this picture as its in the public domain anyway. Besides they never asked if they could photograph my house. :nono:  :nono:

Anyway, this is a screen dump from google earth of one of the bridges further up the road that is still in use. I'd stick with the grey rather than the green.

Marcus

Cheers marcus. Yes I think grey is the way. Thatchers britain wasnt so much into tarting up rail bridges as much as lining yuppies pockets so the 50s paint would probably have stayed I reckon!! As for the 120 degrees its about gas mark a half apparently. It was still a bit hot though once the oven got to temp the next few heated a bit fast I think and werent as nice. They can be tweaked though. I would guess about 90 to 100 would be plenty warm enough to take the stress out of the plastic and leave it curved.

Cav

Looking at that picture again and taking the bridge out of the equation you really did set yourself a challenge with this layout. The bridges you have made already are a work of art but the rest of the scenery isn't your average countryside either. I've no doubt what so ever that these areas will be just as excellently modelled to the same high standard as the bridges. I think what you'll have when you've finished is a masterpiece. A couple of pictures below for inspiration although not railway related but may come in handy. Especially that stuff that looks like Rhubarb which grows along the banks.

post-18515-0-96962200-1379509248_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-31951900-1379509217_thumb.jpg

Those  foot bridges seem to be a common feature along the river. We passed about 3 walking back from the Anglers Rest towards Cressbrook.

Also I noted about the same walking back towards Blackwell Mill with one below the viaduct that spans between Chee Tor 1& 2 tunnels.

Hopefully I will be up in the area in a few weeks time for a weekend. Can't beat the Peak District in the autumn. Incidentally have you thought of what season the layout will be set in? Just thinking of all those lovely autumnal colours.

Marcus

I could very much be convinced to do autumn however I have to make it July to cover 45110 and 37688 around together. Im sure that modellers licence could prevail though? Anyway a quick pic of 45110s names I printed last night. How to cut them out now is the question on my mind!!

post-6894-0-50909200-1379677845_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3

Well they look good printed out but you can't cut em out and wet em without ruining them it seems so I've had to buy some from precision decals instead.

Oh well at least the 45 will finally get finished!!

Cav

A little progress shot. After a nice chat with John at precision labels last night I decided that today I would try to hand paint these little gems onto 45110. not come out bad I think. Cruel close-up but once the orange is tidied a little and the matt varnish and weatherings on I think she'll really look the biz!

post-6894-0-84319900-1380132504.jpg

post-6894-0-67425700-1380132520_thumb.jpg

Cav

PS hope john webster doesnt mind me posting his pic. If theres any issue Ill remove it.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 9

Johns transfers are brilliant and the best carrier film Ive seen. All the other bits are hand painted in white railmatch though. Im not going to go so light on the weathering in favour of this I think. Not sure yet.

post-6894-0-27201800-1380134794.jpg

Edited by RBE

Just changed the station entrance area a little to allow for a better look as the track goes into the west tunnel. I originally had the track as a crossover which was half in the tunnel. I was never 100% on that but to take it out would mean a double slip or single slip to allow bi directional access to the bay platform and freight avoiding loop. Instead I did this. Its nice to print out and see what you actually have I think!!

post-6894-0-30006400-1380236885_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Cav, looking good mate, I am looking forward to seeing the track go down, but then that's just me, impatient as ever and just wanting to see trains running. :senile: :senile: :senile: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Keep the pics coming so we can see what you are up to.

Andy :sungum:

Cheers chaps. Yes after seeing that printed out its getting rather exciting. What I could do with is a place to set the two boards up semi permanently so that I can crack on with the track in place really. The downside of dining room modelling I suppose!!

• Like 1

Yes this is the end arriving from buxton and manchester. The crossing will deal with the buxton shuttle service and any freight routed from the main to allow passenger trains past and local freight that needs wagons removing from the train and shunting into the distribution companies yard behind the station on the far side. The small siding that you can see in the foreground is really the trap for the freightline which protects the main line. Im sure I could stable a loco or a snowplough in there though at times!!

Hi Cav,

Love love love that Peak, she looks great. I drew a Tinsley Snail on my 45141 which was hard enough your drawing in N scale looks superb. I think the M above the number in the first pic was to denote a Midland based loco I have seen it on other Peaks, though it looks like by the time the second pic was taken someone has added a Tinsley depot sticker normally found under the data panel.

The trackplan it looking good too, looks like you have plenty of points and crossing to make.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. It will look even better with some matt varnish and weathering on. And the windows in haha. Ive taken a real shine to peaks I have to say. Im looking forward to doing the trackwork. The double slip in the yard will be the most difficult I think.

Cav

Cheers marcus. Yes I think grey is the way. Thatchers britain wasnt so much into tarting up rail bridges as much as lining yuppies pockets so the 50s paint would probably have stayed I reckon!!

Cav

Many railway structures ended up in a non descript coat of grey paint in the late 70s/early 80s - bridges, station awnings, line side cabinets etc all seemed to be in the same shade.

Thanks for that. Well a bit more tonight. No windows in yet as I still need to airbrush the roof and tackle the underframe proper.Just a wash on there at the mo. Really liking how this is turning out though!!

post-6894-0-40931600-1380334795_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-58759400-1380334817_thumb.jpg

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 11